Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Big Badass Back Packs... Whats the Go.

Quote Originally Posted by 300wsm for life View Post
    Frame size makes a big difference on the Macpac packs. I had a size 2 for a while, had a love hate relationship with it. Some bad advice from a sale person led to this purchase. Brought a size 3 and what a difference.
    How tall are you. I'm not sure what size frame this pack is but I'm a fair bit taller than the last guy with this pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Rn-85 View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm reviving an old thread as I may be in the market for a pack. I have inherited a macpac from the early 90s it seems to have aged okay but its not comfortable with an excess of 25kg in it. That may be my setup though. Any guide on how to setup their quanturn harness?

Alternatively I'm looking at a kelty coyote, wilderness equipment prion 85, bison 75l or bigger or the bushbuck 85.

It would seem tatonka have the market in nz and most people swear by their macpac.

Cheers
    get someone else to help you.... you want harness long enough on frame so the curve of shoulder strap and fattest padded part is actually over curve of shoulder and not still down your back.... put some weight in pack snug up hip belt then adjust shoulder straps till they take some of the weight but still leave some on hips... a small gap between top of pack and back/shoulders is good but too much and it tends to pull you backwards,move COG backwards...... how you actually LOAD THE PACK makes huge difference too... the majority of weight should be as near to your kidneys as possible,EG down low and close to your back..... nothing worse than out at front or up on top..both affect your COG drastically.
    littlemorepork likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Rn-85 View Post
    How tall are you. I'm not sure what size frame this pack is but I'm a fair bit taller than the last guy with this pack.
    I am 195cm.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    get someone else to help you.... you want harness long enough on frame so the curve of shoulder strap and fattest padded part is actually over curve of shoulder and not still down your back.... put some weight in pack snug up hip belt then adjust shoulder straps till they take some of the weight but still leave some on hips... a small gap between top of pack and back/shoulders is good but too much and it tends to pull you backwards,move COG backwards...... how you actually LOAD THE PACK makes huge difference too... the majority of weight should be as near to your kidneys as possible,EG down low and close to your back..... nothing worse than out at front or up on top..both affect your COG drastically.
    hmmm kidneys Mickey Duck many years ago from Barwicks in Gisborne as a young hunter I bought an ex army A frame pack - soon learnt why they were nicknamed a kidney crusher - but that is what one had - so painfully carried it up hill and down dale - went to a trapper Nelson - not a lot better - then a mountain mule - no real improvement - these modern hunters just dont know how lucky they are
    paremata likes this.

Have the Prion, love it. Bulletproof.

I have a Macpac Pursuit size 2 30 years old and still going strong, I had a Macpac Ascent size 2 20 years old never fitted me properly so out the door it went. Same harness supposedly same back length but some thing changed in those intervening 10 years.

I now has a Spika Drover and now I have it all adjusted its a great fit, yes it has a lumber pad but with a stuffed back that helps immensely. I like the simple basically one bag packs, I tried the Osprey everyone raves about but the multiple pockets and compartments are not my thing.
    Happy Jack.

300wsm, your a tall man. A size 3 should fit a 183 cm plus. Might be adjustment or you might need a bigger harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk