Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Boning with a Skinner?

Boning with a Skinner?

Hey All,

I have a Hunter's Element Classic Skinner;
    https://www.hunterselement.co.nz/pro...lassic-skinner

Blade is 5CR15 steel (similar to 440A, without the edge retention). I have a handheld carbon steel/ceramic touch-up sharpener.

Is this rig any good in the field, and could I get away with skinning and basic boning-out in the field with this knife?

I'd appreciate any comments and advice please - Hunter's Element knife quality in general, 5CR15 steel used for skinning blades, skinners doubling as boners...

TIA,
    Dave

You will be fine. One advantage with that steel is that although it doesn't hold its edge for that long it is easy to sharpen. Plenty of deer are dealt to with Buck knives and their steel is no better.

The shape of the knife will be fine for what you are wanting to do too. Its a good useful shape for skinning and boning with just the one knife.

i have skinned many animals with a buck with no sharpening, gerber is a different story. some good.some bad
    ocium likes this.

Banned
    Looks good for shape, very slightly too wide if being picky. Just make sure that the handle isn't slippery with blood and fat on it. Will do the job fine
    ocium likes this.

That sort of blade shape with a bit of belly is one of my preferred field knife shapes. The knife you carry in the field is a jack of all trades, you need to skin, bone and gut the carcass.

It's not what I would use if boning out at home but for the field is a good compromise between the jobs
    veitnamcam, Got-ya and ocium like this.

I use a Mercator, it’s not a skinner or a boning knife. It’s small and light and sharp. At home is a different story, I have a dazzling array of knifes. When you’ve butchered 30 deer you’ll start to think about the perfect knife, what you have there is perfect for now��
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

well said 2post...Ive used many knives over the years....bacho,mercator,green river,svord phesant,bowie,even the humble swiss army folder have done the job..
    ocium likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 2post View Post
    I use a Mercator, it’s not a skinner or a boning knife. It’s small and light and sharp. At home is a different story, I have a dazzling array of knifes. When you’ve butchered 30 deer you’ll start to think about the perfect knife, what you have there is perfect for now��
    Mercators are so last year

I have over 30 knives, most of them Bark River. Only 3 are folders (including an old Mercator) ... and one of the folders is as good as any knife I have. It fits in my belt pack and the edge lasts several deer. Cost $100 odd landed in NZ. Its a 3.75" long Cold Steel and in CPT-XHP steel which is like a much improved D2. I highly recommend them.

Only negative is that they have a very silly name.
    https://www.knifecenter.com/series/c...l-broken-skull

Name:  IMG_1555.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  4.75 MB
    Puffin, Micky Duck and ocium like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I think you'll find they're so last 50-years.

I haven't killed one, only lose them. I get the carbon steel (no idea what ABCs it has) rather than the stainless. Always add flagging tape or a lanyard because they can disappear quite easy.
    Moa Hunter, hotsoup and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms View Post
    I think you'll find they're so last 50-years.

I haven't killed one, only lose them. I get the carbon steel (no idea what ABCs it has) rather than the stainless. Always add flagging tape or a lanyard because they can disappear quite easy.
    As above. Have dealt to many animals in the field, their only failing is they're easy to lose and they wear holes in your pockets if you don't use a belt scabbard.
    dannyb likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Boning with a Skinner is no problem.
    Skinning with a boner though could be painful....

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post

I have over 30 knives, most of them Bark River. Only 3 are folders (including an old Mercator) ... and one of the folders is as good as any knife I have. It fits in my belt pack and the edge lasts several deer. Cost $100 odd landed in NZ. Its a 3.75" long Cold Steel and in CPT-XHP steel which is like a much improved D2. I highly recommend them.

Only negative is that they have a very silly name.
    https://www.knifecenter.com/series/c...l-broken-skull

Attachment 119354
    So 35 years ago for me, you’ve butchered more the 30 deer so can change knifes. Probably half of them this year. Mind you I’ve butchered more than 30 sheep and haven’t considered changing out my 1st green river. ��
    Tahr and Micky Duck like this.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by woods223 View Post
    As above. Have dealt to many animals in the field, their only failing is they're easy to lose and they wear holes in your pockets if you don't use a belt scabbard.
    Put a loop of para cord on it and then loop the cord through the belt loop and then the knife back through the cord - only takes a second or two to get off and never sits in the bottom of your pocket wearing it out and it will never accidentally wander off from there.
    Moa Hunter and dannyb like this.

started out with a green river bushmans friend...the boning knife they make now replaced it...did everything with that knife and the shape of blade is still what I prefer...sort of a 7" bowie with the upper edge not sharp. skinned hundreds of sheep n goats back when was on the farm.
    2post likes this.

My go to for pretty much everything is just the victrinox curved boning knife, easy to sharpen, stick pigs, skin/bone animals, fillet fish etc.
    https://www.blademaster.co.nz/shop/S.../-5650315.html

That's a nice looking knife, but you could save yourself $60 and get a lot more varied use out of something else.
    ebf and ocium like this.