Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Bow saw and axe advice

What is the best teeth no/inch in the Silky for taking skull caps off?

Assuming something in the middle of the range?

It sort of depends what you want it for I think, an axe is a heavy tool, I have several, and a hatchet and a tomahawk, if it’s serious wood you want then an axe is your tool, will split open a carcass too, a hatchet will do the same to the carcass and will get you firewood but would not want to do any serious limbing with it, a good hawk is a happy medium will cop, has a long reach, would not want to fell a tree though.
    I have a folding silky, pocket boy maybe, it’s ok for small stuff, I also made a folding buck saw from a bahco 600 mm saw blade, that works on bigger stuff. Was pretty satisfying to make as well. Of course a good machete or golok maybe a better option, will do everything you want.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RUMPY View Post
    Probably too cheap for what you want but the bahco triangle shaped frame pruning saw is a great bit of kit around the home.
    https://www.bunnings.co.nz/bahco-bow...51-kp_p0828656
    I second the motion. I don’t have one but I’ve seen one used for pruning they punch above their weight.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Check out these axes, Also this company is a mobile shop and he's coming to Canterbury & West Coast South Island 17th Feb for about a week. He sells quality hard to find tools. I've bought a couple of things from him and is helpful to deal with.

https://piranhatools.co.nz/search?type=product&q=axes

These guys make great axes. Well worth a look.

https://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/

I bought a wee hatchet for 24.99at complete angler(next to GC HQ in cranford st CHCH.)it features hammer head nailpuller claw and axe hblade .Ilittle file owork on the axe edge rendered it reaonably sharp -must ne sank itself deep into edge of my finger! bheavy wee bugger but ideal for round a fixed base camp or in ya wagon-will bowl jacko swedes nicely
    machtets -Ive got the british martindale Mk2 golok-used to see a lot of our ex vietnam RF staff carrying them in my TF days _alo i beleive at one stage SAS issue -bloody wicked tool for bush work.Ive two small ghurka kukris too-one on display the other also rides in my pack.have used it at times -dont shag round!