Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Caring for hunting clothing

Banned
    I always use Baking Soda. Tried all the other stuff and B Soda is best. Seven bucks for 1.5 Kg bag. Wash my regular socks and other wool clothing with it too. Some times an item might get wet on a trip and not be dried for days, ending up a bit 'musty' smelling even after washing and drying on the line. That can happen no matter what it is washed with. In that situation I go old school and put the item in a big pot of water and give it a boil, that fixes any smell.
    HNTMAD likes this.

It would be okay if it was just a smidgen of deodorant but with the girls and my boy they use so much of the stuff I'm afraid to smoke around them in case they spontaneously combust....
    born to hunt - forced to work

oh man can I relate to that comment.....lynx shower they call it.....
    HNTMAD and Ftx325 like this.

I’ve always just washed them with whatever is going at home haha. Trying to reduce scent imo is a waste of time, if they gonna smell ya then you’re stuffed either way. Have read about the UV situation plenty but never tried it. If I couldn’t shoot deer then I might consider giving it a go but i’m right so far haha.

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    I’ve always just washed them with whatever is going at home haha. Trying to reduce scent imo is a waste of time, if they gonna smell ya then you’re stuffed either way. Have read about the UV situation plenty but never tried it. If I couldn’t shoot deer then I might consider giving it a go but i’m right so far haha.
    Exactly my thoughts although I do wash my Marino in wool detergent.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk
    Swanny and stagstalker like this.

I use wool wash for everything now. In the past sport wash or soap flakes.

Wear merino and you won't smell so bad. Just cold wash, wool cycle and no brightners or scent. Don't have a problem sleeping with myself since ditching the synthetic. Same as stagstalker.
    Bol Tackshin and Ftx325 like this.

Sport-Wash is what you seek.

The bigger the bottle, the cheaper it gets, per wash.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
    Wear merino and you won't smell so bad. Just cold wash, wool cycle and no brightners or scent. Don't have a problem sleeping with myself since ditching the synthetic. Same as stagstalker.
    +1 I wear cotton t-shirts after trying those modern plasticy breathable shirts and don't like them at all. Make me sweat more ironically and the material doesn't soak up sweat and makes me smell more. At least cotton soaks the sweat and let's it evaporate and 10 mins in the sun it's dry. Or rinse it in the creek .
    That's just me though.... don't like synthetic.
    Swanny likes this.

In my early days my swandri was stiff with dried blood across the shoulders and down the back, only ever got ‘washed’ by rain.

Never worried the deer I shot.
    30late likes this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

i try to rub against four preech trees, lay in three scrapes and get into atleast one wallow each season to minimize scent, also helps to cart a big rutty cape out once a year to keep the scent fresh

MB
    Good to hear tough hunting blokes discussing how to do the laundry

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    In my early days my swandri was stiff with dried blood across the shoulders and down the back, only ever got ‘washed’ by rain.

Never worried the deer I shot.
    Yes i was thinking the same thing while reading this thread, after a good hunting trip the ole swannie would be stiff with dried blood and would never think of washing it. It seems the modern day hunter is a bit different as alluded to above by MB, we are quite concerned about doing the laundry correctly!!
    Last edited by 30late; 04-01-2021 at 07:40 AM. Reason: because
    woods223 likes this.

Banned
    gotta have ya "look" down for those selfies on fb

I keep telling the family the same thing. They get a spot or two of blood on their clothes or shoes and you would think the world was coming to an end.
    Keep telling them it's a badge of honour for a hunter to have blood stained clothes. They're finally getting it into their heads that it's not a fashion show and no bugger cares whether you have a perfect crease line and your clothes smell like a field of dew soaked flowers when you're miles away from civilization .....
    30late likes this.