Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Chest freezer to chiller conversion

Hybrid View

Chest freezer to chiller conversion

I've been offered a cheap chest freezer and am thinking about putting it on an end and turning it into a chiller.

Anyone here done it?

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Not sure about how well the compressor would work on its side, but we've been using a chest freezer as a fridge for years using one of these:

https://brewhq.co.nz/product/dual-te...mangrove-jacks

Just plug the freezer into the cooling plug on the box, set the temp you want maintained, drop the attached thermometer down inside the freezer, and it will switch the freezer on and off as required to keep the set temp. Been working well for years now, so it doesn't seem to harm the freezer.

Don't leave it on it's side. It needs oil return and it needs to be flat for that to happen.

You will find it's life will be short lived if you try to turn it into a chiller. The designs are different. Even the thermostat likely won't go up to 4 degrees.

You would be better off just buying something that's designed as a chiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Don't leave it on it's side. It needs oil return and it needs to be flat for that to happen.

You will find it's life will be short lived if you try to turn it into a chiller. The designs are different. Even the thermostat likely won't go up to 4 degrees.

You would be better off just buying something that's designed as a chiller.
    Okay, that's good advice. The oil flow and returns are gravity based so needs to be level. Thermostat issue is also good advice. Maybe i need a upright fridge. Ill keep looking into it.

My plan is to try pivot the compressor, 90 degrees. If it hangs down, itll be okay as I'll have it on a stand, so it gets airflow. Id also add a controller like mentioned above.

Not sure how feasible it is at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Rn-85 View Post
    My plan is to try pivot the compressor, 90 degrees. If it hangs down, itll be okay as I'll have it on a stand, so it gets airflow. Id also add a controller like mentioned above.

Not sure how feasible it is at this point.

uneconomic compared to just buying a fridge

I’ve just spent a month hunting for a cheap freezer - for some reason, they are way more expensive than fridges of similar age & condition. Guessing no one wants an ugly old fridge in their kitchen, but are quite happy to have an ugly old freezer in their garage…

You’re better off selling it as a freezer and picking up a cheap fridge. The shelves are great for aging boned-out meat on, and it’s easy to fashion something to hang legs from that will sit in the slots.

The pipework in those things is now likely steel or aluminium, so won't take kindly to being bent to another shape.

Some of the compressor lubricating oil flows around with the cooling gas, so I think it needs to have gravity assist it back to the pump...

There's a couple of HVAC techies on here, I am sure they will chime in soon

Edit. Keep your eyes open for fridges for sale from commercial premises. Those glass double door ones are primo.

@kiwijames is the person you need to talk to on this

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk
    kiwijames likes this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Nope + nope = more nope.
    As per previous comments just nope.
    2post likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Nope + nope = more nope.
    What would you know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    What would you know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've got a keyboard so pretty much everything about anything.
    Back to work stick burner
    BRADS, 6x47 and Eat Meater like this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Nope + nope = more nope.
    Don't hold back at all haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Rn-85 View Post
    I've been offered a cheap chest freezer and am thinking about putting it on an end and turning it into a chiller.

Anyone here done it?

Keep a look out for a cheap Skope chiller. They’re the best bang for buck small chillers.

I’ve got two of them now, one free through work and paid $700 for the other. Keeps a very good humidity and keeps meat at 1-2 degrees.

I’ll see if any of our retail stores round your way are upgrading anytime soon. They get rid of them once 8 years old. One I have is over 15 years old and still goes mint.
    XR500 likes this.

Many home brewers have modified freezers into “Keezers” https://pin.it/1e2UrBNeD.
    I’m running an upright freezer as a fermenter with external temp control, inkbird make an off the shelf option.
    But tuning a chest freezer on its side is just no. We could run a raffle with how long it will keep running, my call is 56 hours.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.