Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Cooking systems - Light vs cost

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Titanium is a fantastic conductor of heat. So much so that top to bottom, your extremely thin but strong pot has every part of it is so fucking hot you will burn yourself even thinking about touching it.
    I bought a bunch of Snow Peak Ti gear and it was cool, and light and everything but still the Primus pot outperformed it. I would almost hesitate to guess the extra gas needed to power the inefficient old designs would outweigh the extra weight of the Primus.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

have played around with a few systems,

alcohol stove with meths bottle and pot, weighed about the same amount for a 3 day trip as a jetboil did. The reason why I wouldn't take the alcohol stove, I don't fancy waiting 10 mins for my water to boil and the weight is similar. If your going lightweight and eating dehy,porridge and hot drinks then in my opinion you cant go past a jetboil type system, and it will perform better at altitude than a meths stove. meths is also affected by the cold and more so by wind

tried the cooker with small gas can and pot. worked all right, but no where near as efficient as a jet boil type system and twice as slow, still 3-4 mins to boil x amount of water vs jetboils 1.5mins

on a summer trip, and you know exactly what your cooking and how much fuel it uses ( I go on 30ml meths per boil up including preheat ) then by all means take the meths cooker.

Each to their own at the end of the day, many ways to skin a cat but in the end if your getting a hot feed then either system is fine.
    #BallisticFists

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    Cut out the middle - man. http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?...Toaks+titanium
    veitnamcam and PerazziSC3 like this.

Id be concerned about ordering titanium from aliexpress as it might be some strange alloy that leaches into your water and food.
    scottrods and johnino like this.

yep found that. Think i will get one and also one of those little cookers. SHould have a decent light set up for under $100
    veitnamcam likes this.

I have this, maybe I should save 50 grams with one of those Ti ones

Micro Stove | Stoves & Cookware | Accessories | Equipment | Macpac New Zealand

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    I have this, maybe I should save 50 grams with one of those Ti ones

Micro Stove | Stoves & Cookware | Accessories | Equipment | Macpac New Zealand
    No
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Take a dump before you hit the bush and save yourself 500g.
    BruceY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    you can even refill the throw away canisters from a standard lpg bottle if you like.
    how do you find that canister refiller you got??
    Shooter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyP View Post
    I'm just going to quote the advice I gave in another thread about the same topic! Hope this helps:
    Lightest jetboil is 240grams excluding gas canister. Thats the TI model.

Do you guys take a cup?

as with the jetboil you already have one.
    Philipo, BRADS and StagRyan like this.

the pots linked above would be the cup, i wouldnt take anything else

Quote Originally Posted by longrange308 View Post
    how do you find that canister refiller you got??

I am still waiting to get one emptish to fill Typicaly I had not long ago biffed a couple that only had a bit left in them.

Thread was wrong for the big bottle but I have rangied that and will make a proper part when I get a round toit.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Having used my Jetboil Sol for a few trips now including Fiordland, I have to say I've been very impressed.
    It's not super light at 347 grams excluding gas, but it is super efficient and I can turn it down low enough to simmer.
    A single 110g gas canister lasted 2 of us 5 days in Fiordland for hot drinks and de-hy meals.
    Seems a very well thought out system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a GSI Outdoors Halulite Minimalist pot set. Weighs bugger all and got it from torpedo 7 for about $50. Iv got one of the cheap titanium cookers from aliexpress and can fit the cooker and a small gas canister in the pot
    scottrods, Shooter and Kooza like this.