Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Do everything pack

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Hey @Stocky why the gloves? Not trying to be smart? Are they for bug/plant protection or is it just cold?
    Combination! That photos on the way out. We cut up a valley the outfit hasn't ever hunted so we cut a new trail up the valley for 5 days camping as we went. The gloves are because one person runs the saw and one flags trail and tosses all the cut branch's and things. They have a bunch of wild rosebushs so it's mainly to keep you getting stuff in your hands. On the way out it was all to keep the bugs from getting us. When it gets cold the gloves are a lot thicker hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by hotsoup View Post
    Kifaru if you like the finer things in life

Or Stone Glacier, Exo Packs
    All good options the other guides that didn't run stone glacier run exo or kifaru. I made my decision on being able to go into the factory in Bozeman and talk to the guys who were really good to deal with.
    hotsoup likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    All good options the other guides that didn't run stone glacier run exo or kifaru. I made my decision on being able to go into the factory in Bozeman and talk to the guys who were really good to deal with.
    Fair enough. Each brand make fantastic packs, IMO it simply comes down to the flavour you like. I own a few Kifaru and enjoy supporting the brand. Would happily run any of them

Update:
    I thought I could get away with the old Macpac Ascent pack for my do everything pack. I took it away this weekend for a hunt, and the verdict is that it’s NO GOOD for sneaking through the bush. It was catching on just about every branch in the vicinity. Too high and too wide at the bottom. Not to mention noisy and scratchy
    Back to the Huntech 40L
    Nick-D likes this.

I am off on a overnight deer hunt this morning. Taking my 45 litre Hunters Element - no sleeping bag just a SOL bivvy bag and cotton liner. Allowing enough room for one boned out deer. Temp suppose to be around 30c again.
    WillB and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunteast View Post
    I am off on a overnight deer hunt this morning. Taking my 45 litre Hunters Element - no sleeping bag just a SOL bivvy bag and cotton liner. Allowing enough room for one boned out deer. Temp suppose to be around 30c again.
    Good luck mate, hope your hunt is more successful than mine, I'll fill you in when you get back

Your keen. I can never get a good kip without a bag
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I put an old fleece vest over my canvas packs to stop the hang ups and noise issue,also it’s blaze orange for safety.
    Moa Hunter and WillB like this.

This a constant issue really. I have the Cactus Huntaway and really rate it. The lightest, strongest most comfortable pack in that class I have seen. You cant kill them. Big issue as noted already is 40L doesn't leave much room for meat when your gear is inside too. It works for overnight trips and also for alpine trophy hunting where I camp where I stop for the night (1 to 3 nights). I do think however that a 60 litre pack with a light weight day pack inside is still the best answer. There is another recent thread about day packs that I posted mine on. The biggest challenge is to find a commercial day pack that isn't full of pockets, zips, padding, bell, whistles and WEIGHT AND BULK. Which is why I made my own. I use an old Macpac 60L single compartment fixed harness pack that is great. Low pack so doesn't hang up. If you want to hunt with your gear on board in the bush then the 40L Huntech is probably the best.
    Moa Hunter and Hunter_Nick like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiawatha View Post
    This a constant issue really. I have the Cactus Huntaway and really rate it. The lightest, strongest most comfortable pack in that class I have seen. You cant kill them. Big issue as noted already is 40L doesn't leave much room for meat when your gear is inside too. It works for overnight trips and also for alpine trophy hunting where I camp where I stop for the night (1 to 3 nights). I do think however that a 60 litre pack with a light weight day pack inside is still the best answer. There is another recent thread about day packs that I posted mine on. The biggest challenge is to find a commercial day pack that isn't full of pockets, zips, padding, bell, whistles and WEIGHT AND BULK. Which is why I made my own. I use an old Macpac 60L single compartment fixed harness pack that is great. Low pack so doesn't hang up. If you want to hunt with your gear on board in the bush then the 40L Huntech is probably the best.
    I have been thinking about making up a couple of meat bags that are designed to fit onto the side straps of the hunterway. Something lightweight that can be rolled up small and stashed in the bottom of the pack until needed.
    Nick-D and WillB like this.

Banned
    Interested to know if you still have all you toes now? Thought about buying a SOL escape to use with a sleeping bag but have read varying reports - one saying that the SOL wicked the heat away and made the user colder

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Interested to know if you still have all you toes now? Thought about buying a SOL escape to use with a sleeping bag but have read varying reports - one saying that the SOL wicked the heat away and made the user colder
    they are good but if you get one make sure you get the breathable version, they cost a bit more but are worth it as the cheap ones are like sleeping in a garbage bag, you sweat like a pig as it doesn't breath

The new (ish) kuiu pro 3600 which is 60 litres is an outstanding do it all pack

Quote Originally Posted by Hiawatha View Post
    I use a cactus Miklat which is an awesome day pack Cactus also made me fleece cover to stop the noise it has no bells and whistles just a good main pack and a top pocket and can roll up to go in your main pack.
    It's not big enough for overnight trips unless you carry your animal out whole and put the pack inside it.
    It will hold 2 boned out yearlings.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk
    Ranal likes this.

If you were after a 60 to 70 litre pack.

Between 300 to 500 bucks

What would you guys recommend?

Sent an old macpac cascade to get repaired but they somehow managed to not do the main thing that needed to be fixed. Which is the shoulder strap adjustments.

Kind of getting to the point where it's more cost effective to buy new