Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree14Likes
  • 3 Post By Micky Duck
  • 4 Post By Sika 8
  • 5 Post By HarryMax
  • 1 Post By 199p
  • 1 Post By 16Tontovarish

Thread: Educate me on sleeping mats

Educate me on sleeping mats

I've been using the bushbuck cumulus for the last couple of years but its starting to look a little sad so who knows if it will do another season.

It claims to have an R value of 5, which I personally am very skeptical of as anything similar by other companies is either several hundred dollars more or 3-400g heavier. but its also kept me warm enough.

so what options would people recommend around the R5 range?

whatever you have got and a old school cheap as chips lightweight bulky closed cell foam pad underneath it.... if the flash harry inflatable dies yo ustill off the ground.
    Bagheera, TimC and 11mms like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I bought a Thermarest X-therm in Regular wide, as i tend to roll around a bit & sleep on my side.

At 500 odd grams its definitely not the lightest mat around but it is one of the warmest, the flip side to the extra warmth of the mat is the weight i have lost in using a lighter weight sleeping bag!

Admittedly they aren't cheap, I think i paid around $550 for it....... Told my wife it was on sale for $200 and got a bollocking so yeah don't tell your significant other what you really paid for it.

I'm running the Exped ULTRA 5R Sleeping Mat ~$300 and 700g. It's been great so far and warm (maybe 10 nights on it so far) - coldest I've had it to was around - 8C in Twizel few weeks back. Comes with a blow up sack (to avoid putting moist air inside it from your mouth and getting it mouldy) which I double as a dry sack for my clothes. Not the lightest but I am a side sleeper and wanted to avoid my bony hips digging into the ground (can happen on thinner ones) - also not a mummy shape. Chose for comfort.

Previously had a Sea to Summit UltraLight™ Insulated Sleeping Mat — Regular - it was around 500g but I got cold in Winter down south on it (mummy shape) around $250.00.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Sika 8 View Post
    I bought a Thermarest X-therm in Regular wide, as i tend to roll around a bit & sleep on my side.

At 500 odd grams its definitely not the lightest mat around but it is one of the warmest, the flip side to the extra warmth of the mat is the weight i have lost in using a lighter weight sleeping bag!

Admittedly they aren't cheap, I think i paid around $550 for it....... Told my wife it was on sale for $200 and got a bollocking so yeah don't tell your significant other what you really paid for it.
    I have the same and rate it 100% i have the new nxt one and its far less slippy then my older model and much better to sleep on dont slide half off it in the night anymore.
    Sika 8 likes this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

I have a Nemo. it had the thickest material. Hopefully less chance of a hole.

Yup a decent but not to spendy one is something I have to look at

Sea to Summit Ether lite xt. The ducks nuts

Quote Originally Posted by Sika 8 View Post

People say its best to buy thermarests in pairs. That way theres no arguments and the promise of happy trips.

Ive gone for a thermarest neo air.
    Half the size and weight of my 30 yo self inflater . And twice as thick.
    The inflating bag and too-clever valve system take a bit of geting used to but once youve sorted it a dozen bag fuls will make it nice and firm. So far so good no holes in it.

16T,
    I use the sea to summit ultralight insulated as a 3season pad and Expedite down mat 7 for full on winter but 500 vs almost 1kg but very warm and comfy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cheers folks.

now to wait for a sale/ missus approval.
    Sika 8 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 16Tontovarish View Post
    cheers folks.

now to wait for a sale/ missus approval.
    Don't tell her - It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!

I have an Exped Down Mat with the inflating bag as well. love it, can side sleep as well.
    Not ultra light but warm and comfy. Like the fatter edges which help prevent you from rolling off.

This weekend I was fine on the ground sheet and tent fly but my mate was feeling the cold through his Summit to see Ultra light. He had to get up and put some extra layers under his mat.
    Was not cold but the ground was damp mossy grass. (Kaimai's)
    Z

Super interested in this thread. Just got my Thermarest neo air x lite repaired by the amazing distributor Ampro for a reasonable price. After 6 years of use. The new version is 3" thick, better for a side sleeper.

As much as I'd like to try another brand Thermarest Neo Air is the lightest, highest reliable R value in its category and works well for a side sleeper. It might generate a little rustly noise but I don't bodice it after a hard day's hunting

Just a suggestion. If you do settle on the brand unless you have the mutant X power of falling asleep anywhere, anytime invest in the:
    Widest version 25"
    Rectangular - not mummy style