Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By dannyb
  • 2 Post By MB
  • 1 Post By TeRei
  • 1 Post By Barry the hunter
  • 4 Post By Jaco Goosen
  • 2 Post By MB

Thread: Question V sharp knife sharpeners.

Question V sharp knife sharpeners.

Ive had a Lansky for years and worn it out. It worked, but it wasn't perfect by far. So now Im looking for a replacement and the Warthog V sharpener looks like an affordable alternative.
    My question is does anyone have one or used one, and what do they think of them?

I have 1 and use it to good effect, plenty of good demo videos on you tube to show you the way.
    Again not perfect but work well.
    My advice make sure you get the different grade inserts
    Last edited by dannyb; 22-09-2023 at 09:46 AM.
    whanahuia likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

MB
    There's quite a few threads on the subject already. In short, very good for people without any skills like me
    dannyb and whanahuia like this.

Quote Originally Posted by whanahuia View Post
    Ive had a Lansky for years and worn it out. It worked, but it wasn't perfect by far. So now Im looking for a replacement and the Warthog V sharpener looks like an affordable alternative.
    My question is does anyone have one or used one, and what do they think of them?
    If you have the time , patience and application get an oil stone taking the shoulder off the complete blade and then work that edge. I just about lost 2 fingers when I did that to a Victory knife.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    There's quite a few threads on the subject already. In short, very good for people without any skills like me
    yes it was covered at some length look buy a scary sharp never look back best out there do ya mates knives with it and charge them beers for the work win win
    Micky Duck likes this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    yes it was covered at some length look buy a scary sharp never look back best out there do ya mates knives with it and charge them beers for the work win win
    I've no doubt it's the best, if not one of the best systems, but it comes at a price.

I've no doubt it's the best, if not one of the best systems, but it comes at a price.
    well look be inventive $8 a knife to neighbours not unreasonable better still if ya had a bored 16 year old sitting around well teach him how to use it and canvas neighbours win win lol

Yeah and thats part of my issue. Ive got quite a bit of spending to do upgrading a range of gear thats reached the end of its life and also buying new stuff for both hunting and fishing that suits the new situation Im in down south. A quick add up sees me needing 1600,00 bucks worth of gear between now and opening weekend of duck shooting. All of it will be the best I can get on a budget and Ill replace it if needed with better over the next years.
    With the Lanky I could get shaving sharp and keep it that way with a steel and strop for some time. This system looks faster and less prone to changing angles if you dont clamp blade in the exact same spot each time.

Cheers all for the input.

Warthog is a good system, Ive got Lansky and several other - but always revert back to the Warthogs. I needed the sharpeners to be quick and effective - Which the Warthogs are.

Easy to use, no skill required, almost fool proof. My 6YO would clean and sharpen my knives while I'm busy with the next set.

MB
    Having tried most sharpening systems, I think the Warthog is the best compromise of cost, ease of use and effectiveness. I'm not saying it's the best, just ticks all the boxes for me.
    Jaco Goosen and dannyb like this.