Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Garmin Fenix tips & tricks?

Ned
    It's actually under activity/app. Can't remember if I had to select it on garmin connect to put in the watch or if it's a default activity.
    Access it from the start button (top right), then scroll down till you find it 'Project Wpt'
    Point the watch to get the bearing, or enter manually, once you have that, hit start again.
    The next input is the range.
    Scroll down (bottom left) to choose the units (m, km, miles, feet). Once it's on the unit you want, start hitting the up button (middle left button) to increment the distance.
    Once that's where you want it, hit the start button (top right again) to save. You can edit it with a name beforehand, or just go with the default.

Now you have a new waypoint in the watch to navigate to.

Lower tech solution is the toilet paper thing. Or whatever you have to mark a shooting from position.
    Range to target.
    Compass bearing to target.
    Then once you're over there, you can range back to your shooting position and compass bearing is now =/-180 degrees.

But garmin has this on your wrist now

One thing I haven't tested is how the garmin would respond to different altitude between starting and projected waypoint, and whether you should use absolute range or angle compensated range from your rangefinder.
    I'd suspect angle compensated range would be the one to use.

Sounds like quite a few guys use the Garmin watches. How often do you guys have to charge them? daily usage in town/work? hunting on the hills using all the bells and whistles, etc?
    I've been considering a watch for myself recently, might be a xmas present to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Projects View Post
    Sounds like quite a few guys use the Garmin watches. How often do you guys have to charge them? daily usage in town/work? hunting on the hills using all the bells and whistles, etc?
    I've been considering a watch for myself recently, might be a xmas present to myself.
    Depends on usage. No gps usage gets me 22 days.

Ned
    My watch is 3-4 years old I think and could still get a couple of days out of it if I had GPS tracking on all day. If I was just adding the odd waypoint then probably best part of a week.
    The battery is pretty small so it charges really quickly off a battery pack. Even a small 3,000mAH pack would give it a few full charges.
    Think the newest models have much smarter battery use with gps tracking. Plus some models have solar charging on them

Has anyone managed to load NZ topographic 1:50,000 maps onto a Fenix ? Eg maptoaster, freshmaps or is there something else ?

Topo4GPS ?

I got the new 7X a few months ago.
    Love the light, such a simple thing, and probably my favourite over my old 6 or 5 model.

The map is awesome, I like being able to just glance at my wrist and see I’m on the right track when heading back to camp.
    Million features but mostly use light and map, from a recreational standpoint.

I like the notifications for work. My ph lives on silent, in meeting or wherever, it vibrates look at my watch and decide will take the call, or won’t..
    Or emails you can discreetly see what’s coming, in even in a meeting.

What size watch are you all using? I see the Fenix 7 comes in 42, 47 & 51mm case. Is 51mm too big on your wrist?
    See the unseen...

47mm goes under a button up cuff on long sleeve work shirts without too much trouble.
    I think the 52mm might be a pain with long sleeves, although they wear very similarly otherwise.
    Nesika likes this.