Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By Jvaughan
  • 1 Post By Moa Hunter
  • 1 Post By Flyblown

Thread: Gear review - One Planet Bungle sleeping bag

Gear review - One Planet Bungle sleeping bag

Hey all, figured I’d write up a quick review of a new sleeping bag I’ve purchased since not many people seem to know about these One Planet bags.

After tossing up between a Macpac latitude 700 and a Stoney Creek black stag 800, I decided to get neither and bought this One Planet Bungle bag from Dwights in NZ for $490. It ticked all the boxes being lightweight (bang on 1kg), full length zip and having hydrophobic down. I got the -10 version and its got a -4c comfort/-10c limit of comfort rating. Hard to find the fill weight online but its around ~650g of 800+ loft down.

First impressions were great, laid the bag out for the first time and it lofted up so much it looked like someone was already sleeping in it. Construction looks really good with no defects found. The outer layer is reasonably lightweight but not so much that it feels like it’d tear easily, and it’s got a lot more footroom than it looks like in the photos online. Comes with a really solid compression sack too, compared it to a mates domex halo and it’s not much bigger when compressed.

Only had one nights sleep in it so far in a hut and it was way too warm, ended up with the bag fully unzipped and only half over me. Planning on using it tenting on the tops and it definitely feels like it’ll be warm enough for that. Overall I’d highly recommend checking them out, definitely seems like good bang for buck and they’re a really comfortable & warm bag. Name:  7F0EB581-AC46-47FA-A623-A216085B544B.jpeg
Views: 1968
Size:  272.3 KBName:  AD7ABCAC-B8D5-44EB-8532-D85BCC9B1C5A.jpeg
Views: 1986
Size:  190.0 KB

Banned
    No matter how good, I couldnt sleep in a 'Bungle' bag
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.

Good review, cheers. Always good to hear about alternatives to the usual suspects. Keep us updated once you’ve tested it against a good freeze..

Ned
    I got a One Planet cocoon (-3) a couple years back. Very happy with it. Under 600gm in its stuff sack. Easy 3 season (North Island) bag using it with sea to summit thermolite liner. I have the mid weight and extreme weight liners to choose between. Some good reviews online and looks like they offer a good service (Aus based) if you need the bag refreshed or some extra fill added.

One planet makes good gear

We use exclusively One Planet sleeping bags, bivvy bags, backpacks. When we lived in Australia we got a tip about the good quality, when with it, and haven’t been let down. All our gear is made in Melbourne, they do make some stuff in China these days, if you’re concerned about that just drop him a line and ask.

We spent many many months in the Outback, camping in Southern Cross Canvas swags (also Melbourne made) with One Planet bags etc. About 30 months in all. So the gear got very well tested, and it all lasted the distance. We still use the same bags here, no need to change. I jumped on @Sarvo’s bag he sold recently, great Alpine bag that.
    Sarvo likes this.
    Just...say...the...word