Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Goat smell on clothes

Quote Originally Posted by Dago View Post
    Green Party Golriz 'Goat' Ghahraman would welcome the clothes as a gift. Remind her of home.

Attachment 163781
    Thats a pretty goat you have. How many wives did she set you back?
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Gee, I can think of several things that would 'get the smell out' none of which would leave your gear serviceable. A long term soak in something like gear wash might help, the problem with billy stench is not that it's oil based (although the natural oils do carry it) but that they get that lovely nanny-attracting pong through pissing on themselves which is an ammonia type product containing pheremones and hormones. More akin to cat piss than oil...

Cat piss is not that stinky usually but it's one of the worst things to get rid of. Had a person stay in our basement for a while, and the damn cat got frisky about it and decided to mark upstairs as his on behalf of the family (the little bastard). Pissed in the stairwell, and the smell still lingers on a hot day 5 years later.
    So what you are saying is that the OP needs to litmus test the piss and if acidic ( uric acid ) use soap and if alkaline use vinegar as suggested by MD above)

Been through this with skunks as well as other stinky gland animals... the comments on de-skunking are the way to go, with a few additions:

1) Give it a good wash with a degreaser like dish soap, or spot treat with isopropyl alcohol or other good degreasing/aggressive detergent. This' just to give it an initial clean and remove as much oil and dirt as possible so you can focus on the smell.

2) Alternate washing between basic and acidic solutions for several repetitions..... or using oxidizers...
    The usual story is that you alternate between acidic and basic washes using something that won't ruin your clothes (strong baking soda and strong vinegar washes). What works better is hydrogen peroxide though... and turns out it's possibly more about using an oxidizer than an acid/base combo, but I've never used them separately so I'm not sure. Be careful with the hydrogen peroxide, you can burn yourself and bleach your clothes, so work up in concentration and thoroughly wash it out and neutralize afterwards. But it does work either way. Also keep in mind you'll be looking for the smell and once you're primed to smell for something it's hard not to notice even incredibly weak smells.

NW New South Wales, 2015, on a station adjacent to Mutawintji NP. We noticed a huge feral goat corral and called in to ask what was going on. Hundreds upon hundreds of goats. The fellas were goat mustering for the live export market, big operation clearing them out of the national park and private land. Sounds like fun, I said, can we join in? Wife looks at me sideways... what did you just say?

That night we stayed in the shearers quarters, long time since there were any shearers in there as they’d given up sheep years ago. Well... the smell. Wife looks at me directly this time, fuck this Dave this is disgusting. The musterers’ clothing, bedding, towels, even the horse tack, their very souls, stank of billy goat. You’d stand next to a guy, and then take two steps back, you couldn’t help it.

But now we were committed.

They say you get used to smells after time, but that rule did not apply. We pushed off three days later. It was an “educational experience”. I paid dearly for that decision, the wife (and kids) never let me forget it.
    Just...say...the...word

My problem is getting the smell out of the sheets........... Sheets that I wrap them up when I hang them up of course Seriously though; I find that just running them twice through the heavy duty wash in the machine with fabric whitener does the deed no worries

My dad had a fitch farm and it was my job to do the skinning....... Even though you were super careful to cut around the stink glands you inevitably got some on your hands. After skinning 600 of them you couldn't get the smell out for about 10-days. Of course latex gloves weren't as available to the general public compared to now. I tried everything to wash the stink off my hands; pine oil disinfectant and every other substance known to man. But every time you lifted your lunchtime sarnie to your mouth you were met with the overwhelming ferret gland stink.....