Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Hanwag to Salewa

I have a pair of Selewa mountain trainer lite mid gtx and highly rate them. A pair of size 11 weighs 1.34kg.

https://www.furtherfaster.co.nz/prod...e-mid-gore-tex

Another endorsement for the Salewa’s from me, didn’t realise how much I’d been suffering in my previous pair of leather boots until I changed over to the Mountain Trainer Lite. Just a totally different experience out in the hills now. Perfect for the bush and flats hunting I mainly do but also hoping they hold up to the occasional trip up higher. My previous pair were Grisport Mohaka’s which weirdly never felt right from day one, battled with blisters and discomfort fairly early on and actually wore the boot lining through. I say weirdly because I had bought the exact same boot and size maybe 7 years previously and couldn’t rate that pair highly enough, sturdy, comfortable and amazing deep tread pattern. Almost tempted to buy another pair of the Salewas now as a replacement pair for when my new ones wear out!

Actually after a few more weeks in the hills a caveat from me about the Salewas, so comfortable and great tread however not so waterproof after all. Only bought them in April but noticed they were leaking when last out, sprayed some Gortex sealer/treatment on them but they failed the bathroom sink test soon after quite spectacularly.
    Spoke to the seller and looking to return them but went out again with them today and after cleaning them for taking back to store I noticed some abrasions on the outer fabric, hoping they don’t pin leaks on that. Was hoping they would be a little more resilient, almost worth how quickly they wear given the comforts level but still disappointed.

They do go through a phase where they look like they are ageing fast and won't last. But I just treat them with Snow Seal every now and again and the leather seems to smooth off and settle down. Same with some of the stitching around the bottom eyelets on the joins. It wears and can look tatty but doesn't let go.

Remember they are not a heavy weight boot and we (I) probably push them past what they are made for.

Im very happy to buy a pair every 3 years or so when they wear out.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

About 2 years. Hunting once a week and several week trips per year. Alpine, bush and some farm work. Drenching and vaccinating in a race is murder on boots. Pic taken straight after a week on wallaby.
    Name:  769A12FF-6F5F-4D33-A59E-3F34992D066B.jpeg
Views: 317
Size:  5.44 MB
    Last edited by Tahr; 16-07-2022 at 11:15 AM.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Are you all talking the same model? The rapace?

Quote Originally Posted by Freezer View Post
    Are you all talking the same model? The rapace?
    Mine are "Mountain Trainer". So are Flyingpillock's.
    Freezer likes this.
    - Rumi

Some good advice here, I'm in the market for new boots real soon and Salewa are at the top of my list if they fit my foot. Otherwise will have to look at other brands. Yes would love to get them cheaper but trying on is a must for me, so it will be a trip into Christchurch when I'm ready.
    Tahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Mine are "Mountain Trainer". So are Flyingpillock's.
    I think his are the Mt Trainer "Lite". More synthetic on them from what I can see but not sure about other differences. @Freezer. The Rapace are much stiffer than the Mt Trainer. Perhaps more suited to the tops.
    Freezer likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    Some good advice here, I'm in the market for new boots real soon and Salewa are at the top of my list if they fit my foot. Otherwise will have to look at other brands. Yes would love to get them cheaper but trying on is a must for me, so it will be a trip into Christchurch when I'm ready.
    It was the Rapace I was wearing on our roar hunt HJ.
    The Crow is another good option. Similar to the Rapace but with mostly synthetic upper. I use them as my day to day work boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    It was the Rapace I was wearing on our roar hunt HJ.
    The Crow is another good option. Similar to the Rapace but with mostly synthetic upper. I use them as my day to day work boot.
    Thanks it appears the Crow are no longer available though. Rapace is what I'm leaning towards.
    Shearer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    I think his are the Mt Trainer "Lite". More synthetic on them from what I can see but not sure about other differences. @Freezer. The Rapace are much stiffer than the Mt Trainer. Perhaps more suited to the tops.
    That’s what I’ve learnt I think. The mtn trainer lite is perhaps a little lite? The standard mtn trainer looks to be sold out at a few places.
    For a north island bush hobbit the rapace might be a bit much. Currently using crispi Nevada which are overkil

That’s what I’ve learnt I think. The mtn trainer lite is perhaps a little lite? The standard mtn trainer looks to be sold out at a few places.
    For a north island bush hobbit the rapace might be a bit much. Currently using crispi Nevada which are overkil
    I have the rapace and love them , had a bit of use now and seem to be lasting well. Mostly i am a bush hobbit to but also do some walkabouts on the tops.
    As far as waterproofness goes i think they are not quite as good as a boot with a full leather upper , but i can live with that, just bought some waterproof socks that i hope will mitigate that issue.
    Freezer likes this.

I happily use either the Mt Trainer or Rapace in the bush. The Rapace is stiffer but still not totally ridged (Salewa do a full on Alpine boot too) and the rand gives a bit better protection to the side of the foot than on the Mt Trainer.
    Mt Trainer - Light, supple, very comfortable
    Rapace - Light, more ridged, better side protection. Better suited to sideling and rocky terrain.
    That's my opinion of them anyway and it is often the toss of a coin as to which ones I put on when I head out.
    Freezer, 30late and bigkuri like this.