Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Hanwag Boots

Hanwag Boots

What are the Hanwag boots like pros and cons
    Looking for a new pair of hunting boots currently running Lowa

MSL
    What about bestard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a set of hanwags, changed from the lowa Tibet as they were a bit cheaper. They are a similar boot, comfortable, good grip and good support for carrying heavy loads. The stitching on mine came away at the heel after about 6-12 months of use. I sent them away and they were restitched for free but this punctured the goretex liner. Would recommend but will be going back to lowa or trying the bestards

I have seen a lot of Hanwag fail in the sole peeling
    Had even brand new ones fail first tramp too :-(
    Mind you some Lowa not much better
    Meindl would be my choice new in NZ if prepared to spend 500+

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    I have seen a lot of Hanwag fail in the sole peeling
    Had even brand new ones fail first tramp too :-(
    Mind you some Lowa not much better
    Meindl would be my choice new in NZ if prepared to spend 500+
    Thanks for that
    I have heard horror story's of meindls shitting themselves pdq aswell
    My lowas are 5 + years old and I'm hard on footwear 6 foot 5 and built like the brick one
    Was looking at something a bit lighter on the pocket

Quote Originally Posted by 260rem View Post
    Thanks for that
    I have heard horror story's of meindls shitting themselves pdq aswell
    My lowas are 5 + years old and I'm hard on footwear 6 foot 5 and built like the brick one
    Was looking at something a bit lighter on the pocket
    Yes - all the mid sole PU system can do it
    Fire places in the bush prob responsible for a lot of down the track peels to be honest
    But if you want lightweight boots – there not much other choice
    I sold a beautiful pair of Meindl other day with stitched on sole – but they weren’t light but going to a farmer so no issues there most day on horse – his soles wont fall off
    buell984 and Padox like this.

I walked out of a set of mendls in 8mths a set of Andrews in 5 running crisipi boots on to my second pair 1st 1 did 14mths

Mate of mine who has a sportshop says 9 of 10 lowas come back, Meindls about the same.
    Crispi and Grisport have the least returns. Pretty sure he said no Crispis have come back for faults.
    Scarpa are great boots too.

With that all said have had Meindls fckout on first outing and Lowas last 3 or 4 months. Best pair of boots i have currently are Hanwag Alaska's 2 years going well (winter boot). Have also got a pair of Lowa Z6s ive had for 4 years and still great boots, starting to show signs of wear due to age and the fact i wear them a lot (summer tops boot).

Ive seen it many many times debated on here and facefuck this boot vs that but at the end of the day I think sometimes ya just get lucky and get a mint pair of boots that just do what they said they would!
    Then sometimes ya just get a shitty pair at no fault of your own.
    Ive experienced both shitty Good boots and Great Good boots. The bit that counts is the customer service when it go's south.
    I can tell you from experiance with Meindl, Stager Sports is the NZ agent for Meindl and they are complete shithouse to deal with, absolute cnuts. but thats just me. Lowa not much better. All look to you as the problem.

2c
    Shearer and Moa Hunter like this.

I have heard good things about Zamberlan no personal experience though...
    Fat ninja likes this.

A pair of gronells lasted 4 years of nearly constant use before the leather started cracking at the flex point. I still wear them in the dry.
    The lowas that replaced them the Rands split within 12 months and the sole began delamiating. No interest from the importers.
    I've gone back to gronells.

Banned
    I bought the leather lined Tibets out of Austria and got a pair of Hanwags for a mate from Germany. Putting the two side by side, the Hanwags were a little wider, but the lacing system was poor in comparison. The Tibets are very good and I will get them again and the leather lined - which means I can put leather dressing inside and out - no Gortex.
    See if Sarvo can get a pair in for you

Dev
    Bought some hanwags not to long a go, 2nd trip the toe cap peeled away.. back at the shop awaiting the rep to sort them..
    also don’t like how they lace up, a prick in the cold
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I have been wearing Hanwags for just on two years now, so far no issues at all very happy with them ,probably a bit too rigid for the north island but got used to them now.
    One downside is once they get properly wet as in river walking they take ages to dry out , all that padding on the inside does not help.
    I try to wear them regulary even if just for a walk round town as i believe there is an issue with the type of glue used on the soles, the glue hardens and breaks down if the boots are not worn often , something like that anyway and is common to all these types of boots. cheers

Quote Originally Posted by dollarknife View Post
    I have heard good things about Zamberlan no personal experience though...
    I have had a pair of Zamberlans (Voiz GTX) and they were the most comfortable boots I have ever owned. Unfortunately their mid sole shat itself after about 5 years. Disappointing because the rest of the boot was perfect.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by 30late View Post
    I have been wearing Hanwags for just on two years now, so far no issues at all very happy with them ,probably a bit too rigid for the north island but got used to them now.
    One downside is once they get properly wet as in river walking they take ages to dry out , all that padding on the inside does not help.
    I try to wear them regulary even if just for a walk round town as i believe there is an issue with the type of glue used on the soles, the glue hardens and breaks down if the boots are not worn often , something like that anyway and is common to all these types of boots. cheers
    Its not glue
    Its a PU compound that is between the Tread sole and the part your foot is sitting on
    Lack of use - poor storage - heating by fire - all contribute to this PU substance breaking down
    It turns into a texture like cottage cheese (but black) and swells - which then pushes off the tread sole
    Age get all boots eventually - but lack of use and stored in humid place will assist it happening way earlier
    buell984 likes this.