Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Hanwag Boots

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    I have had a pair of Zamberlans (Voiz GTX) and they were the most comfortable boots I have ever owned. Unfortunately their mid sole shat itself after about 5 years. Disappointing because the rest of the boot was perfect.
    Zamberlan - Crispi both very underrated here
    Lowa - most over rated of the lot especially the men's Tibet's

Quote Originally Posted by 30late View Post
    I have been wearing Hanwags for just on two years now, so far no issues at all very happy with them ,probably a bit too rigid for the north island but got used to them now.
    One downside is once they get properly wet as in river walking they take ages to dry out , all that padding on the inside does not help.
    I try to wear them regulary even if just for a walk round town as i believe there is an issue with the type of glue used on the soles, the glue hardens and breaks down if the boots are not worn often , something like that anyway and is common to all these types of boots. cheers
    Yeah. Heard that before. "They failed because you don't use them enough". BS. If they fail because you don't use them there is something wrong with them. They must be using the wrong materials for the purpose. I still have a pair of Scarpas I bought 30 years ago. The tread is shot but the rest of the boot is fine. No sign of the sole coming off. I also have a later model of the same boot. 5 Years and the sole is delaminating?????WTF. Having said that most of the Scarpas I have owned have been great. Very durable and a good fit for me.
    I have recently bought a pair of Salewas for half the price of Lowas etc and they seem well made but time will tell whether they last or not.
    buell984 likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Yeah. Heard that before. "They failed because you don't use them enough". BS. If they fail because you don't use them there is something wrong with them. They must be using the wrong materials for the purpose. I still have a pair of Scarpas I bought 30 years ago. The tread is shot but the rest of the boot is fine. No sign of the sole coming off. I also have a later model of the same boot. 5 Years and the sole is delaminating?????WTF. Having said that most of the Scarpas I have owned have been great. Very durable and a good fit for me.
    I have recently bought a pair of Salewas for half the price of Lowas etc and they seem well made but time will tell whether they last or not.
    Its the "Modern Way" now
    Your like me stuck in the past :-)))))))))
    Shearer and buell984 like this.

You would think there was a suitable material they could use for the mid sole that wouldn't break down. In fact I'm sure there would be but I guess it's not in the manufactures interest for their boot to last tooo long.
    PS. Those old Mantas I got off you @Sarvo feel bullet proof. I have been wearing them while doing chainsawing/scrub baring and it is like having a pair of small Sherman tanks on your feet.
    buell984 likes this.

H.M
    Have had my hanwags alaskas for 4 years and still going strong. Only use for hunting tho and that would be 3-4 times a month. Will be buying another pair when mine blow out. Just got back from 5 day tahr hunt did not get sore feet once, good boots.

You would think there was a suitable material they could use for the mid sole that wouldn't break down. In fact I'm sure there would be but I guess it's not in the manufactures interest for their boot to last tooo long.
    PS. Those old Mantas I got off you @Sarvo feel bullet proof. I have been wearing them while doing chainsawing/scrub baring and it is like having a pair of small Sherman tanks on your feet.
    Yes - I think its an arse of a system - but then what do we know
    Scarpa Mantas yea
    Yes - the Scarpa Matterhorn also is bllet proof - but I tried a pair and just to rigid for my doings and terrain - but for serious Alp etc - be bloody hard to beet

I sold these the other day
    These soles wont come off :-)

Name:  DSC_0029_resize.JPG
Views: 498
Size:  252.8 KB
    Last edited by Sarvo; 01-06-2020 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    Yes - I think its an arse of a system - but then what do we know
    Scarpa Mantas yea
    Yes - the Scarpa Matterhorn also is bllet proof - but I tried a pair and just to rigid for my doings and terrain - but for serious Alp etc - be bloody hard to beet

I sold these the other day
    These soles wont comoe off :-)

Attachment 141421
    But is the mid sole the same modern PU crap?

No - diff system - stirched on Vibram Sole

Quote Originally Posted by dollarknife View Post
    I have heard good things about Zamberlan no personal experience though...
    My last pair were Zamberlan, fit really well, soles wore out, but uppers are still good. Goretex/waterproofing wasn't that great, but they were a semi-textile boot, so maybe that's what you get. I have purchased a pair of Lowa Ticam from Torpedo 7, full leather, full rand, hopefully they last me okay.

Hanwag Boots

I’ve had my Hanwag Alaska’s for over two years now. Still ok. Made by the same family as Lowa. For daily wearing I’ve been using Gronells. Got a pair of 4 year old Bestards that have been resoled twice - wouldn’t wear them on a multi-day trip now though. Used to buy Meindls and Lowas because everyone else did, they’re not worth the premium prices as far as I’m concerned, there’s some bloody good boots out there for ~$450-500. My last pair of Meindls lasted me not even a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve123 likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

+1 for the salewa boots. They are great, very light weight , and well designed with the rubber welt right around them. heaps of support but feel like you are wearing sneakers.I will never go back to the big clod hoppers like lowa now. you can get the full stiff mountaneering type sole or one with a bit more give ,and they are way cheaper than lowas.
    Spudattack likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ANOTHERHUNTER View Post
    +1 for the salewa boots. They are great, very light weight , and well designed with the rubber welt right around them. heaps of support but feel like you are wearing sneakers.I will never go back to the big clod hoppers like lowa now. you can get the full stiff mountaneering type sole or one with a bit more give ,and they are way cheaper than lowas.
    Agreed, my sale was are like wearing a pair of sneakers.
    Best footwear I have ever had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ANOTHERHUNTER likes this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."