Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 3 Post By Barry the hunter
  • 1 Post By STC
  • 1 Post By STC
  • 1 Post By StrikerNZ
  • 5 Post By Kimber 7mm-08

Thread: Help required - Another squeaking Tatonka pack

Help required - Another squeaking Tatonka pack

Before the roar kicks off I want to sort out a few annoying squeaks in my Tatonka Bison 90+10 pack. I have three separate areas on the pack that make a noise.

With the application of some food grade silicone I can sort two of the areas, being the the alloy pack frame itself as it rubs along the frame sleeve, and also and where the alloy frame joins into the hip belt.

The remaining (and noisiest) area is located inside the X1 harness near the Velcro strap that attaches to the pack. As far as I can feel with my fingers it seems there is a piece of hard plastics that the Velcro is sewn into and that extends into the left and right pack strap. The padding of the respective straps which surrounds the plastic squeaks under movement when it contacts the plastic

Location of the hard plastic causing the squeaking highlighted below:

Name:  20240211_143454.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  4.64 MB

Now, a question for the experts, as I cannot easily access the area to apply silicone, would a aerosol spray like WD40 silicone spray with an applicator punched through the webbing work to alleviate the noise, or are there other remedies out there e.g. soaking it in some sort of lubricant?

Can you prise any of the layers above it apart, and drip candle wax in there?? Hot candle wax will embed itself in the soft layers, and if you can apply it opposite the hard plastic, it should lubricate the affected area.

lay it on the ground - get large branch and give it a damn good thrashing - you naughty naughty pack - may not fix it but you will feel better - nah seriously silicone - try injecting it with a needle and syringe - less damage to pack -

STC
    You actually can take that piece of plastic out, did that once to clean the pack. Never ever going to do that again.

I guess your best bet is to sell the shite-tonka and get a proper backpack.
    Sika 8 likes this.

STC
    Quote Originally Posted by STC View Post
    You actually can take that piece of plastic out, did that once to clean the pack. Never ever going to do that again.

I guess your best bet is to sell the shite-tonka and get a proper backpack.
    Forgot to mention that you access it from the inside of the pack, there is a small zipper
    XR500 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by STC View Post
    Forgot to mention that you access it from the inside of the pack, there is a small zipper
    Thanks, it's not coming from the internal plastic 'frame' (which I have removed a couple of times, when cleaning blood from the pack), but the actual harness strap on either side of the X1 logo.
    Name:  20240214_193719.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  3.74 MB

If it’s not going to be in an uncomfortable position, would it be a possibility to whip a cable tie on there and crank it up tight. If the squeak is coming from movement between the internal components, a cable tie might sufficiently anchor them together to stop that movement?
    Micky Duck likes this.

STC
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimber 7mm-08 View Post
    Thanks, it's not coming from the internal plastic 'frame' (which I have removed a couple of times, when cleaning blood from the pack), but the actual harness strap on either side of the X1 logo.
    Attachment 243759
    Oh! Sorry!

UPDATE

I got some WD40 Silicone Spray on Saturday and sprayed it into either side of the plastic causing the squeaking. Could not insert spray nozzle into the material as much as I wanted to, but the area was well coated and after drying off for a day, it seems like it has done the trick. Fabric still a little darker looking after the spray and has a faint smell, but I can live with that if the squeak stays away!