Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Jacket advice wanted

Quote Originally Posted by scoped View Post
    got a long bush coat, its good, but wrists get wet and then really cold. after a day in the rain water eventually leaks through the zip at the bottom , has to be a lot of water though.

If you don't bush bash much, then I would buy something like this :

Hollyford Jacket eVent Men's | Jackets | Mens | Macpac

I would never rely on any hunting brand jacket to keep me dry on a long trip
    terrible colour choices they have on offer hey.

I think i would put a lot of faith in the jackets mentioned so far in this thread

Ive got a Stoney Creek Huntlite jacket (version 2 I think) and I find it good for bush, not too loud - cost around 300?
    My old Hunters Element jacket was too heavy and didn't breathe enough for me

I find that if the sweat don't get ya wet the rain will so all coats are shower coats rather than rain coats if that makes sense

The only think I'd like is a long tail on it for not getting ya arse wet

I have the Earth Sea Sky Men's Hydrophobia Jacket and love it.

Swazi One Tough Mutha.......not the lightest, but rolls up small into the hood.
    Kept me dry in gales/torrential rain hunting around Puysegar Light in Fiordland.
    Not cheap either, but I sussed my size at teh shop in Levin and scored one off TM still with the stores tags attached, Seriously good.

B
    Boulderman likes this.

Monsoon jackets dont like long spells of heavy rain. Ok for showers. Def wouldnt take to fiordland. I'll be going gore tex next time the noise wont be an issue if its pissing down..

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

+1 for Hunters Element XTR

I got the one with full length sip rather than pull over type.

I have used it in some fairly shit weather including a couple rather wet days in Fiordland Last year and a couple of very wet days pushing through bush at the Blue Mountains. Kept me warm in a snow storm up waikaia as well.

I rate it, has kept me dry, seems to shed water pretty well, way lighter when wet than my mates Wapati Coat, that thing puts on a kilo when wet.

I also like the fact it rolls into the hood, nice flat front and pit zips are good for letting a bit of heat and mixture out. Hood is also a good design, if its not blowing I like the hood to be open as much as possible to improve the hearing, but does not restrict vision too bad, another downside for the Wap coat.

the only thing I would like is one inside pocket, having said that I have never had anything in the outside pockets get wet as long as the zip is done up properly

As always my 2cents, oh yeah I don't sell them, running a hotel keeps me busy enough

cheers

dino
    "If God wanted us to be vegetarian....why did he make meat taste so good?"

Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post

I have used it in some fairly shit weather including a couple rather wet days in Fiordland Last year and a couple of very wet days pushing through bush at the Blue Mountains. Kept me warm in a snow storm up waikaia as well.

I rate it, has kept me dry, seems to shed water pretty well, way lighter when wet than my mates Wapati Coat, that thing puts on a kilo when wet.

I also like the fact it rolls into the hood, nice flat front and pit zips are good for letting a bit of heat and mixture out. Hood is also a good design, if its not blowing I like the hood to be open as much as possible to improve the hearing, but does not restrict vision too bad, another downside for the Wap coat.

the only thing I would like is one inside pocket, having said that I have never had anything in the outside pockets get wet as long as the zip is done up properly

As always my 2cents, oh yeah I don't sell them, running a hotel keeps me busy enough

cheers

dino
    $400 + are they?
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

I got mine for $400 from H + F

I just checked and the model is XTR Pacstealth

Cheers

Dino
    Dundee likes this.
    "If God wanted us to be vegetarian....why did he make meat taste so good?"

Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post

cheers

dino
    +1 very light and stays light when wet well designed hood. I havent bashed any bush with it so i dont know how tough they are but i have had mine for a year and nothing has fallen off it. Try em all on then you will know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 for Macpac. I have a grey/black one:

Resolution Jacket eVent Men's | Jackets | Mens | Macpac

It is bombproof and light...I much prefer it over my Swazi Thar jacket.
    outdoorlad and Pepe like this.

Just saw this - a waterproof down jacket...not the kind you might be after but pretty cool.

Outdoor Research Men's Floodlight Down Jacket - Bivouac Online Store

Ended up getting good service from shooters supplies Christchurch and got a stoney creek tarn 3.

Tried them all on and it came down to this and the hunters element. Hunters element just felt a bit fragile.
    Both have the material that doesnt soak in water, hunters element would have packed down a bit smaller probably.

Happy with the decision and thanks for the input

I was deciding between the SC Glasinock and the tarn, I went for the Glasinock as it had a bigger chest pocket,(for gps walkie talkie etc)it is quite noisy but I brought it for tops hunting so not a big issue,the Stillwater looks like a great jacket and might be next on the list, shop around as the place I got mine from had the Glasinock and the Tarn for $399, $150 less than H&F, (rip off bastards)

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTY View Post
    I was deciding between the SC Glasinock and the tarn, I went for the Glasinock as it had a bigger chest pocket,(for gps walkie talkie etc)it is quite noisy but I brought it for tops hunting so not a big issue,the Stillwater looks like a great jacket and might be next on the list, shop around as the place I got mine from had the Glasinock and the Tarn for $399, $150 less than H&F, (rip off bastards)
    Yep I dont buy from hunt and fish.

Pocket size doesnt really worry me, I wanted to stay away from the bulky traditional front pockets but I grt what you are saying about larger chest pocket.
    I thought the glasinock felt a bit light for my liking, stillwater looks awesome but I hate camo.
    stu#71 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikka7mm08 View Post
    +1 for Macpac. I have a grey/black one:

Resolution Jacket eVent Men's | Jackets | Mens | Macpac

It is bombproof and light...I much prefer it over my Swazi Thar jacket.
    Just got one . Bargain @ $359. Have Swazi Wapiti and a Hunters Element Jacket. Both are shit in the alpine environment when it really hits the fan. The swazi
    esp just holds the water and gets incredibly heavy.