Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Jacket advice wanted

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Oh the temptation to comment on getting hard, being hard, hardening up, having a hard (on) etc, but I will leave it to R93 since the invite to him has been thrown out there. You must be busting your balls to comment further as well Gibo. Very disciplined of you not to.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Good Thread started here PerazziSC3! I have been looking at the same jackets + some of the other ones mentioned ie macpac etc... Still keep swinging back to the SC Tarn3

Can I assume the lack of mentions of Swazi is due to the price, or am I missing something? The Tahr seems like a universal favourite among older guys I know, still see a fair few for sale on Trademe. Has the world moved on, or are people simply not prepared to fork out all that coin only to put a hole in their gear? Some far cheaper items out there now, is the quality high?

also, just rereading the first post - you potentially just washed the dwr coating off the jacket... you could retreat it?

i lent one of the guys at work my monsoon elite, which he kindly washed, and stripped of its waterproofing. i just rewashed it with tekwash, then reproofed it...

Re-Waterproofing your gear
    precisionshooter.co.nz - precision rifle

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloke View Post
    also, just rereading the first post - you potentially just washed the dwr coating off the jacket... you could retreat it?

i lent one of the guys at work my monsoon elite, which he kindly washed, and stripped of its waterproofing. i just rewashed it with tekwash, then reproofed it...

Re-Waterproofing your gear
    na all the seam seals have pulled away, it literally got torn to shreds in the machine, not to sure what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderman View Post
    Can I assume the lack of mentions of Swazi is due to the price, or am I missing something? The Tahr seems like a universal favourite among older guys I know, still see a fair few for sale on Trademe. Has the world moved on, or are people simply not prepared to fork out all that coin only to put a hole in their gear? Some far cheaper items out there now, is the quality high?
    the tahr anorak is a bloody massive jacket, lots of people overheat pretty bad in it also. no doubt its great quality tho

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    the tahr anorak is a bloody massive jacket, lots of people overheat pretty bad in it also. no doubt its great quality tho
    not only great quality - it actually comes in just lighter than the SC Tarn3... And its made right here in NZ. I was expecting the SC to be lighter... there goes the swing again!

Anybody used a Macpac Resolution?

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    na all the seam seals have pulled away, it literally got torn to shreds in the machine, not to sure what happened.

Oh.

You tried washing it with a couple of possums in there at the same time?
    precisionshooter.co.nz - precision rifle

Well I ended up buying a Macpac Resolution at the sale they had with 40% off rainwear or rather my Missus bought me it with a bit of cash her way as my birthday present, $419 down from $700. Im really happy with it so far, wore it out in the sun just before walking about 500m to show my old man and didnt feel sweaty or clamy. The added reenforcements on the shoulders, arms and back looks good, but we will have to see how they hold up. The leaf green colour isnt as nearly fluro as it looks like in the online pics.
    The Bloke likes this.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by jord View Post
    I use an early 90s midweight short Driza-bone. Keeps me dry for a good 20 minutes and will hold more water than you could ever imagine. It gets really heavy too which is great when you've got 50kgs on venison on your back too. But fuck it looks cool.
    Damn this was an awesome post. I'm going out and finding one of these pieces of shit right now. Screw Gore-tex.
    veitnamcam, Boulderman and Danny like this.