Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Kaweka Gear Dyneema products my review

Tent will definitely be on the cards the aim will be for under 1kg and as much room as my curret set up, if Dillon at Kaweka manufacturers one or might have a crack myself if demand isn't high enough for him to do it.
    Me and a few mates have been looking into it for a little while.
    I have already gone for the lightest sleeping bag I could afford in my cold weather bag being the domex halo which is over a kg lighter and a lot more compact than my previous bag.
    Still on the lookout for an ultralight ultra compact summer down bag.
    My pack is also on a diet upgrading to a tatonka bison 75L that is as light or maybe lighter than my Stoney creek 40+10L
    And my jet boil style cooker set up has been swapped out for an ultralight titanium cooker/cup setup.
    So I have made some serious weight savings already.
    Last edited by dannyb; 02-10-2019 at 05:52 PM.

man Ive got a 20kgs I can shed before I even look at my gear....I have saved weight and space by using a beer can cooker and meths over white spirits or even lpg....
    the swannie is long gone,light weight coat and polarfleece,have replaced them years ago.
    Tikka7mm08, Moa Hunter and dannyb like this.

Have a look at Seek outside for dynema tents. Not cheap unfortunately. Their Eolus looks the biz. If i had the dosh I’d buy a dynema Cimaron and a med titanium stove to go in it.
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Have a look at Seek outside for dynema tents. Not cheap unfortunately. Their Eolus looks the biz. If i had the dosh I’d buy a dynema Cimaron and a med titanium stove to go in it.
    Hell yeah man, a good hot tent setup would be so epic for a bit of winter hunting
    dannyb likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    This is the 2L dyneema dry bag in 1oz dyneema
    I managed to fit a compression top, Ballet compression tights, thick pair of socks and undies in it, handy if you get wet, it comes in 4,6 and 8L sizes and I'm sure there are many uses for something like this (keeping phones, cameras and other water sensitive gear dry)
    This 2L sack came in at 12gms.

Attachment 121244

Attachment 121245

Attachment 121246
    While you other blokes have are concerned over the 17 gram issue, I have been far more concerned to read that danny is taking Ballet compression tights.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    While you other blokes have are concerned over the 17 gram issue, I have been far more concerned to read that danny is taking Ballet compression tights.
    Haha dunno how the heck that happened my ballet tights are strictly for ballet
    Last edited by dannyb; 22-10-2019 at 07:07 PM.
    veitnamcam and Moa Hunter like this.

Anyway after my weekend in Southland I have now used my dyneema bags in the field, I'm extremely happy with them they have held up well.
    The one my tent is in gave the biggest weight saving but only because the manufacturers bag had straps and buckles etc on it that made it unnecessarily bulky and heavier than it needed to be.
    The other bag I had my sleeping bag, sleeping mat, thermo rest liner and klymit x pillow in also held up well.
    The dyneema bags are strong lightweight and water resistant.
    I will be adding more to my gear that is for sure. I think the biggest weight savings can be had by eliminating multiple stuff sacks and combining gear together like I have with my bedding gear.
    I can't wait to catch up with Dylan at Kaweka Gear about some new developments that are in the works.
    If your looking for light weight, strong dry bags or stuff sacks you won't find a better deal.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I took mine away for a few days and they were great. Using one as my ditty bag and the other is the perfect size for a roll of bog paper! Stops it shredding and getting munted.
    Moa Hunter and dannyb like this.

Dyneema is great stuff, will never go back to wire winch ropes. Agree with @Tahr - tent, pack, sleeping bag and rifle/scope...just going from a factory stock to Carbon Fiber can be a game changer.

I've got a Zpacks Duplex tent, thermarest neo air, and some UL quilts (eg Loco Libre). This would be worth a look for a UL sleeping bag: https://www.thermarest.com/ie/sleepi....html?srd=true Also a Granite Gear UL 60L pack (weighs under 1kg from memory).

I need to start using instead of collecting this stuff, and in my case the best weight saving I could make is on the operator.

Hey how's the Zpacks Duplex going? I've been looking at these on and off for a while now, but haven't taken the plunge. Any plusses or minuses in NZ conditions? They're so farkin light.

Quote Originally Posted by WillB View Post
    Hey how's the Zpacks Duplex going? I've been looking at these on and off for a while now, but haven't taken the plunge. Any plusses or minuses in NZ conditions? They're so farkin light.
    I don't think anything on the market would beat them for weight and performance.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikka7mm08 View Post
    I don't think anything on the market would beat them for weight and performance.
    Your one is holding up really well, couple years old and still looks like new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    Your one is holding up really well, couple years old and still looks like new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Two reasons: lack of use, lack of loaning to certain people hard on gear.
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikka7mm08 View Post
    Two reasons: lack of use, lack of loaning to certain people hard on gear.
    @Tikka7mm08 how does it handle the wind and do you get much water splash in heavy rain? I’ve been toying with getting one or a tarpent aeon Li single person? Not sure I want to carry two trekking poles?
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    @Tikka7mm08 how does it handle the wind and do you get much water splash in heavy rain? I’ve been toying with getting one or a tarpent aeon Li single person? Not sure I want to carry two trekking poles?
    Only had in rain once and the no problem, dry as. I got the carbon fiber poles, weigh nothing. But also have a set of Fizan UL walking poles and probably will use them now.
    outdoorlad likes this.