Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: KNIFE SHARPENING SYSTEM ADVICE PLSE

KNIFE SHARPENING SYSTEM ADVICE PLSE

Hi Guys

I am looking at getting some sort of sharpening system for my hunting knives but have little experience with them .
    Any suggestions on a good , effective but realistically priced system ?
    I struggle to maintain the angle just using stones 'freehand' which wasn't an issue when it was just my knife as I could spend the time to get it right .
    Now I have the entire families knives to keep sharp it's turning into a bit of a mission .

What can you fine gentleman suggest as far as brands , systems etc to help things along ..??
    born to hunt - forced to work

MB
    Warthog would get my firm recommendation. There have been loads of threads on this topic and much discussion. It's one of those subjects which seems to get people fired up for some reason.
    Ftx325 likes this.

Best one on the market as spring loaded flip.
    Aussie made, I was using this to sharpen the muelsling shears in WA many moons ago.
    Ezesharp, and probably better value for money than anything similar.
    That's a diamond stone to take the shoulder of and then go down the grades till the polishing Arkansas stone.
    Leather strop after that

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam, Moa Hunter and Ftx325 like this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Stay away from Lansky or Warthog, I have used both and don't rate either as much more than toys. They both work if that's all you have.
    Get a controlled angle system for repeatable results.
    The Aussie Ezee sharp or NZ made Scary sharp.
    Diamond stones . Make / buy leather strop and you will turn out very sharp knives and both will be the last sharpening system you will ever need to buy again.
    Ftx325 likes this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    Stay away from Lansky or Warthog, I have used both and don't rate either as much more than toys. They both work if that's all you have.
    Diamond stones . Make / buy leather strop and you will turn out very sharp knives and both will be the last sharpening system you will ever need to buy again.
    I can get all my hunting and filleting knives sharp enough to shave hairs off my arm with the Warthog system. How much sharper do you want? No doubt, Ezesharp and Scary Sharp are far superior devices, but he asked for something "realistically priced".
    erniec, Micky Duck and Ftx325 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    What he said, mine has been thrashed for years and going strong

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

If you want to save some cash, Get a edge pro copy from aliexpress. If you like it you can upgrade the stones easily enough. Great for all sorts of blade shapes
    Ftx325 likes this.

I use a spiderco. Works well
    Ftx325 likes this.

I couldn't sharpen a knife to save myself. Did some research, bought a Scary Sharp. Now I'm extremely careful where I leave my blades. The name says it all. Not cheapest option, but if you're doing a shit load of blades, well...............
    Micky Duck and Ftx325 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RugerM77 View Post
    I couldn't sharpen a knife to save myself. Did some research, bought a Scary Sharp. Now I'm extremely careful where I leave my blades. The name says it all. Not cheapest option, but if you're doing a shit load of blades, well...............
    Same here my kids brought me one for my birthday they are awesome.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    Ftx325 and RugerM77 like this.

I have one these & they really good & you can use it as a little belt sander for all sorts off things iv sharpened knifes, lawn mower blades, chisels, wood auger drill bits, tacking depth gauges down on chain saws & clean up a lot off welds when you can't get the grinder in
    Ftx325 likes this.

sneakywaza I got
    Ummm, hello all, Bubba here, I have found the most useful stone is the one I pick up off the ground wherever my downed deer happens to be - wipe the knife across a couple of times, job done, carry on skinning, boning out or whatever.

I have been known to use a chainsaw file, just for those special occasions when I want to look like a pro about my sharp knife.

I try not to overthink it or spend it.

Bubba out.
    Micky Duck, Ftx325 and RugerM77 like this.

I struggled for a while to get a constant angle freehand.
    Eventually you get the hang of it, I find, set the stone up in a vice (a wooden stone box helps here) then it is at a good height to work on and you can get your stance solid and comfortable.
    Don't move your grip/hands at all, keep em solid.

Plus one for the leather strop. Works real good. I got mine from a junk shop.

How about you find a good video on youtube and once you have the knack of it, you can show the others how it is done?
    Pretty satisfying getting a blade sharp freehand.

In saying all this, I would happily use one of the mentioned systems, only reason I have not is I am far too Jewish to pay for one.
    Use enough gun

Is that Hate speech?

OOps.
    Use enough gun

Freehand on the same stone I do my chisels and plane irons on. Need to get another leather belt from an opshop for a strop as last one has gone missing in action somewhere. I carry a rabbiters steel into the field.
    Ftx325 likes this.