Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree15Likes
  • 4 Post By Ryan_Songhurst
  • 3 Post By Feral
  • 1 Post By mikee
  • 1 Post By nitram
  • 2 Post By No.3
  • 2 Post By XR500
  • 2 Post By XR500

Thread: Looking at getting a Uniden UH615 - any good?

Looking at getting a Uniden UH615 - any good?

Anyone using a Uniden UH615 in the bush or the tops? Would be keen to hear how they go (or don't). I'm not super familiar with handhelds, so would appreciate some guidance if anyone is running a set.

As far as intended usage is concerned: -
    • Use in the bush for hunting (not massive distances involved I would think, more about keeping in contact if separated)
    • Use in open tussock country (not likely to be a massive separation)
    • Kids (8/10 year olds) using on skifields

Don't want to have an over spec expensive handheld, but also don't want to under do it if there are better options and end up buying a new set not long after.

Ease of use is important, especially if one of the kids is using it.

Find the cheapest VHF marine hand helds you can. VHF goes further, round corners where as the UHF cbs are line of sight. VHF marine is citizen band in NZ so you don’t need a radio license. I’ve got Baofengs from Ali express which run the marine band and they go mint

Quote Originally Posted by nitram View Post
    Find the cheapest VHF marine hand helds you can. VHF goes further, round corners where as the UHF cbs are line of sight. VHF marine is citizen band in NZ so you don’t need a radio license. I’ve got Baofengs from Ali express which run the marine band and they go mint
    I'd check that...
    mikee, Feral, woods223 and 1 others like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Possibly the worst advice I've come across in a while.

1. VHF marine, although available under a general user radio license (GURL), is not a citizens band. Legally you need to hold an operators certificate with an allocated callsign to operate on maritime VHF channels from your vessel. https://www.rsm.govt.nz/licensing/fr...time-purposes/

2. If you were maritime VHF certified youd know the band is for maritime purposes not slaying backsteaks on land.
    https://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/comme...o-Handbook.pdf

3. Baofengs are prohibited. https://gazette.govt.nz/notice/id/2018-go4836

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk
    rugerman, woods223 and Eat Meater like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I'd check that...

Me too, you can only use (are supposed to use) VHF Marine band radio in an emergency if you are not a ticketed operator with an issued callsign.
    rugerman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Me too, you can only use (are supposed to use) VHF Marine band radio in an emergency if you are not a ticketed operator with an issued callsign.
    News to me I’ve done some reading and have learnt a lot thanks for the education apologies for terrible advice
    Feral likes this.

News to me I’ve done some reading and have learnt a lot thanks for the education apologies for terrible advice
    It's often not till ya go looking that you find all the ins and outs and rules etc. For me, I got the maritime VHF ticket cos we got a boat. A lot don't get it and the radios are that poorly regulated that anyone can go buy one.

On land, getting the ham license (not as daunting as it sounds) opens up a world of possibilities for better comms.

Other than that, GME or Uniden on 5w PRS is where it's at for most hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    Query on 3. there, it's not the brand I thought that's restricted - it's any two-way radio that's able to be reprogrammed by the user onto any frequencies other than what is approved in the amateur radio spectrum licence. On the other hand, I was under the impression that any receive-only unit (scanner) including those brands remains able to be imported and if you were able to get a two-way in that was restricted to the approved frequencies it would then be OK to import and use for any unlicensed person.

To use an unrestricted transmitting radio you need to hold the full general amateur radio operator's cert of competency - which is different to the usual maritime VHF radio operators cert or the restricted marine radiotelephone operator's cert which allows you to use SSB etc.
    mikee and Feral like this.

Have heard hunters talking on VHF when I've been out on lake Te Anau on our boat. Eventually Meri got onto them and gave them a stir up and a rundown on the rules
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    Query on 3. there, it's not the brand I thought that's restricted - it's any two-way radio that's able to be reprogrammed by the user onto any frequencies other than what is approved in the amateur radio spectrum licence. On the other hand, I was under the impression that any receive-only unit (scanner) including those brands remains able to be imported and if you were able to get a two-way in that was restricted to the approved frequencies it would then be OK to import and use for any unlicensed person.

To use an unrestricted transmitting radio you need to hold the full general amateur radio operator's cert of competency - which is different to the usual maritime VHF radio operators cert or the restricted marine radiotelephone operator's cert which allows you to use SSB etc.
    Yes I think that's generally right. So while they're "prohibited" due to being openly programmable, I think baofeng and poxun or what ever other dingbat named equivalents are cited as the examples of such equipment.

Most vhf / UHF amateur radios are able to be programmed outside of the ham bands tho and indeed some bands are shared with the likes of broadcasters etc, in which case amateurs must accept interference in those bands but not cause it themselves.

Back on target:

The Uniden UH615 is only a 1.5 watt unit.

Any of the GME or Uniden 5 watt units plus a better antennae will give you far more peace of mind re connectivity over more than a few hundred meters of flat paddock. Bush sucks the absolute snot out of range with those 1.5 watt uhf unit with those tiny wee antennae.
    mikee and Kimber 7mm-08 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Have heard hunters talking on VHF when I've been out on lake Te Anau on our boat. Eventually Meri got onto them and gave them a stir up and a rundown on the rules
    My assumption probably came from hearing people chit chat flat out on VHF on the lake on a busy day about where their mates are, what the fishing is like, what the chop is like etc. I guess without a licence this is a no go as well. Like feral said a lack of education unless you go hunting for the info

Possibly not.
    The Marine VHF network have dedicated channels for certain stuff: Ch 16 is always for official stuff; logging out and back into harbours, listening to the weather forecast, notifying all local boaties of potentially dangerous issues (submerged container, big log, run out of gas, boat on fire etc etc)

You go and use other set aside channels to yak with other boaties about fishing, where to meet up etc etc.

But being a muppet and using the official safety channels (i.e.16) for just yakking is a big no go. Its inconsiderate and potentially dangerous.
    nitram and No.3 like this.