Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: New Dive computer

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Get the merino lined wettie too. They rock.
    Who makes a good one?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    I use a hose mounted Sherwood Computer, for most of my recreation and lake diving. Problem with wrist mounts is they get scratched and are also a pain in the arse when trying to get your hand in the tight cray hole. Most of my commercial work was done without a computer, dive super's role.
    I'm right handed😆

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    If I may hijack slightly R93?

What would budget but not likely to kill me gear from scratch and courses set me back?
    I have seen some deals on courses if you buy basic gear for under $ 1500
    Did mine in '84-85 and it was around 3 hundy for the open water cse then.

veitnamcam likes this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

What would budget but not likely to kill me gear from scratch and courses set me back?
    Do a course first. God knows how much now @Toby.
    Rent gear initially then trawl Trademe. You'll always find some Jaffa gets into it, buys all the gear then kicks it after a couple dives after it gets colder.
    veitnamcam and Savage1 like this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Who makes a good one?

Pinnacle are good.
    R93 likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

R93
    Do a course first. God knows how much now @Toby.
    Rent gear initially then trawl Trademe. You'll always find some Jaffa gets into it, buys all the gear then kicks it after a couple dives after it gets colder.
    Spot on. Seen some good cressi gear with standard gauges on Tard me for 3k tho.
    Wait a while and it will be around $1500.

Last edited by R93; 08-12-2014 at 07:56 PM.

R93
    Pinnacle are good.
    I like the look of a Tempo 7.
    Not to dear either.

I need a suit. The one Im using is a bit short and is 2mm's. In 15degree water I was shaking and out on rocks warming up within 40mins. Plus my head gets cold so a wet suit with a hood thing is what im looking at.

What are ok brands? Wetti, cressi or moray? Those are the 3 I'm looking at. Also whats up with one peice or two? What ones better

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I need a suit. The one Im using is a bit short and is 2mm's. In 15degree water I was shaking and out on rocks warming up within 40mins. Plus my head gets cold so a wet suit with a hood thing is what im looking at.

What are ok brands? Wetti, cressi or moray? Those are the 3 I'm looking at. Also whats up with one peice or two? What ones better
    You want 5mm minimum. My Pinnacle is a 5/7 I think. 7mm guts and chest, 5mm arms and legs. You lose a lot of heat from your head so a hood is pretty much essential. Moray did some real nice 1 piece suits. You see them occasionally for sale. I like 1 piece but if your diving all year 2 is warmer. Just the bit up your crotch can catch you out in the two piece. The neoprene is the important bit. Yamamoto or similar quality is what you want to look for. It's been a while since I've been suit hunting though. The merino liner in mine is also a very nice thing to have.
    How the fuck you dive in 2mm makes me feel cold now. I think I had spring suits thicker than that!
    stingray likes this.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    I piece and make sure it's a back zipper, near impossible to get out of a front zipped 1 by yourself. Dive today with no hood not to cold, dived last Monday and Thursday with a hood and never felt cold.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

They breed us though here! My rib was killing me yesterday while diving went into the docs today. Yeah its broken. Bugger

I haven't been looking too hard yet, need money before I can drop some coin on a suit. Are moray ok? I found a neat package deal for not much more then some suits but because of that I keep thinking it might not be any good

Raided some sinkers today to make some weights. Getting a bit more lead tomorrow so I should have enough to make a few weights for next time.

Sorry for the hijack Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    They breed us though here! My rib was killing me yesterday while diving went into the docs today. Yeah its broken. Bugger

I haven't been looking too hard yet, need money before I can drop some coin on a suit. Are moray ok? I found a neat package deal for not much more then some suits but because of that I keep thinking it might not be any good

Raided some sinkers today to make some weights. Getting a bit more lead tomorrow so I should have enough to make a few weights for next time.

Sorry for the hijack Dave
    Your so skinny the rib probably broke from a strong fart.
    Steel tanks are the shizzle too. Less lead round you.

The Original Striker
    steelies are definitely the bomb, the guy we use fills them real well. we run 12l ones but then most of us dont run comps, 15l tanks with out a computer and I feel your asking for trouble

just out of interest, for rec diving does every one that uses a comp feel safer? I prefer to use manual gauges much less to go wrong and I just make sure I deco every dive regardless of depth dived plus the standard deep dive first and shallow second.

I run a 2.5mm wetsuit in summer for flexibilty and I wear a second one on top in winter, work better than a 5mm but not as good a 7mm suit
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

I started to do mine open water course in Rarotonga a couple of years ago. It was going to cost me $399 for the best deal. One place was $500.
    When I got back to NZ I looked it up and was going to be $500! I should've finished it!
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

P38
    Open water scuba course will set you back $500 to $550 depending on where in NZ you train.

Most of my dive gear is Dacor, generally older but has lasted well.

I use a two piece 5mm Dacor (an oldie but a goodie) suit in summer. 5mm long john and 5 mm jacket.

If I'm snorkelling for paua I just use the long john, if scuba diving I use both.

I also have a 7mm semi dry for winter and dive with a hood.

Brain freeze at 30m isn't pleasant that's for sure.

Still running my Dacor XP regs and a Mares Surveyor computer.

Cheers
    Pete
    JoshC likes this.