Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Pack advice

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    With a larger pack, as long as it doesn't have big 'bellows' type pockets on the outside you can always fit compression straps to compress it right down. I look for lid straps that come from the bottom of the pack, so you can cinch the lid right down without running out of strap, and side compression straps that can basically haul the pack main section in until it's flat. That way you can have a good amount of 'reserve' capacity without the bulk when you don't need it...

Not the easiest thing to find, but some of the older Macpac and Fairydown packs had this sort of compression system and it was very good. My 85Lt full size Macpac can crunch in smaller than my 40Lt 'overnighter' is this fashion. Downside of the older packs, is that while they were and still are literally bullet proof - they are bloody heavy and noisy by today's standards.
    This is the way I have ended up going too. I dont see sense in buying a new pack only to fill it with meat and blood. A good harness and frameless is the way for me. I bought one of those Markhor Interlou 45 litre packs as an overnighter ( rubbish packs) thinking it would be the answer but its either too big or too small. A bigger pack that can be narrowed down with straps is far more versatile. Current one can be strapped down to less than the width of the harness ( 170mm) . Means I can hunt with it on as a daypack and not get caught up ( not like my frame pack)
    RV1 likes this.

I tighten down my main pack,( exped lightning) with the compression straps and have a old seatbelt strap arrangement for the shoulder strap on the that I mount the gun to shoot,I bush hunt 95% of the time so need to be quick on the trigger,when animal down I swap over to original shoulder strap for carrying a load,also have an old stony creek blaze vest I put over the pack to keep scratching noise down and increase visibility.
    Moa Hunter and RV1 like this.

Hey JoelA, I have the molle me pack from Twin Needle but its the version without the molle, its a good pack but it doesn't hold alot of gear and if your bush hunting then you'll find it noisey!

Bush hunting I have a Camelbak Commander which is 40 ltrs and has a soft almost fleece outer fabric but their no longer made.

I found a pack in the 40 ltr range to be ideal for day hunts especially in the kaimanawas as it alowed me to carry the gear I needed to and when I shot a sika then I simply boned out the meat into a huntec meat pikau and tucked it into the pack and carried on as the commander has good shoulder straps and could handle the weight without that weight digging into my shoulders.

There's plenty of packs on the market in the 40 ltr range which will better suit your needs... osprey hold a great warranty on their packs!

Quote Originally Posted by ZQLewis View Post
    I use a Markhor Macho Montes 35 ltr. It's a little much for day hunts but also suitable for light 1-2 night fly camping trips.
    What I like about it is the wire frame that keeps the bulk of the pack off your back and creates an air gap between your back and the pack. Very nice in summer.
    It has an air mesh against your back and the pack is held off your back by the light wire frame.
    So the contact points are the waist belt and shoulder straps.

Attachment 199457

Z
    Nice I was looking at getting one of these, good to know you like it! I have the 45l markhor pack which is mostly great, but I get a really sweaty back from the lumbar pad. I’m wanting a slightly smaller pack with a mesh back for the cool back factor. I’ll look around for one of these!