Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Moutere
  • 1 Post By Delphus
  • 1 Post By Pixie Z
  • 1 Post By Moutere
  • 1 Post By flock

Thread: Personal Locator Beacons

Personal Locator Beacons

After some advise. Watched a dubious yank inspired Survival Program last week, people trying to survive for a year apparently in Alaska.
    Wow - seriously
    An aged person like myself, stuffed up, broken/strained ankle 4 days in, this brought home to me the importance of a PLB, which he used.
    Not that I'm that brave/stupid Alaska wise - but I see the point, injures can and will happen, on the hill.
    Good reality check, I've never liked the idea of being choppered out, but if it saves others, from risking their lives looking for me, I can live with the embarrassment.
    So looking at spending about 500ish, wish they were cheaper (& they should be) believe some have a 10 year battery life, possibly see my hunting out.
    So - comments / advise apricated.

MB

ACR Resqlink 400 GPS 406 PLB is the pick of the bunch. It provides a GPS encoded position and has an infrared strobe which helps immensely if you need picked up at night by an aircraft.
    $484.99 at the moment.
    berg243 likes this.

SiB

I got the ACR. Nice unit. Gives that peace of mind for the family particularly. I carry it on my bino harness so it’s always with me if I end up dropping my pack for any reason.
    Ned likes this.

Yep it was the KTI that had a 10 year battery for a good price. Unfortunately they are no longer, I do have one and it will last me at least another 6 years (sure i've had it 4 years)

There’s very little difference between most of the models available these days. Almost all new ones now will be GPS 406Mhz & 121.5Mhz & most seem to have strobes now. Biggest differences seem to be in weight & battery life. It’s unfortunate that KTI aren’t available now cos they were definitely the most reasonably priced with a 10yr battery.

Also, if you’re buying online make sure the unit you buy is NZ registered. You can often buy em cheaper overseas, but the cost of having them NZ registered basically negates any savings you might get on the unit & might actually end up costing you more.
    flock likes this.

For what it’s worth, I’ve had an ACR one which I liked (not that I ever actually used it), & now have a KTI one (also like but also never used).

& like @Delphus says- gotta keep em on your person- I keep mine on my belt, bino harness or secure pocket. They’re not much use in the top of your pack if you have a fall & can’t get to it.

The early KTIs had a manufacturing fault and have a high representation in inadvertent activations. At least they go off though rather than not when you need it I guess.

That's good advice to buy and register an NZ coded PLB, however RCC will treat any unregistered PLB or advice on an overseas activation in just the same manner.
    My old work issued PLB from when I was touring is registered with AMSAR and I have no intention of re registering it here in NZ.

Registration is great at preventing false searches for inadvertent activations when the party can be contacted by say cellular phone. Also for garnering information about the party in distress, numbers, age, known health issues, equipment and ability is all good information to pass onto the response crew.
    Pixie Z likes this.

Grabbed a ARC 400 price was $460 now to brave the cold, minus temps coming thick and fast now. Those early morning river crossings not so attractive.
    Pixie Z likes this.