Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree476Likes

Thread: Playing with leather

That is very impressive skills

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Where do you (or anyone else for that matter!) get your leather? I’ve got a couple of knives I’m keen to have a go at making sheaths for.

Awesome work, where do you get the dome rivets from?
    Or you can stay within 300 yards and keep life a lot simpler.

Wow, what a clever bugger. Some very nice work there. Im sure you would have plenty of takers should you make any for sale. Well done.
    GUN CONTROL IS A TIGHT 5-SHOT GROUP.

Well Done That Man! Hardly "playing", more "skilled artisan" productions.

Show us your car steering wheel (<:
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Ooops View Post
    Would you mind sharing the sites that you as beginner found most useful for your knife and leather work projects?
    I second that... great work

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    These two holes are to mount this second wee knife in its own separate sheath...just screw on and off as needed....Attachment 146325
    I see someone taught you to align screw slots the same way.

When we use Phillips screws for any job we lose the chance to give it that final tidy touch, instead we leave a "DeWalt" finish.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Ooops View Post
    I was one of the two and I thank you sir
    That's awesome work, I can't believe this is your opening / beginning work, its terrific

Would you mind sharing the sites that you as beginner found most useful for your knife and leather work projects?
    I just searched you tube for making leather knife sheath. The only problem was they all are all a lot more professional than I am and have the full range of proper leatherwork tools etc to do the job. I had to improvise. If there is enough interest I guess I could do like a photo documentary/example of how I make them using common house hold items like teaspoons and forks... and yes I am serious - teaspoons and forks. Kiwi ingenuity at its finest. I do have a small amount of leather left .The only problem there is I have no knives left that need a sheath ....
    Steve123 and Ooops like this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

Nice work!

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    Saleable, so why dont you.
    I did think about that but to be honest I didn't think anyone would be willing to pay the amount for the sheath I would have to ask to make it worthwhile. The BK7 sheath for example was over ten hours work. The hand stitching alone was around 4hrs but I went above and beyond and knotted each individual stitch so if one breaks or gets cut it won't unravel or compromise the strength of the rest of the stitching. Even the edge burnishing took forever. It is hard to see in the following photo but that fat edge is three layers of leather but is smooth as glass to the touch , like polished wood , all done using a biro. I do admit I have since bought a burnishing tool though. And all the edges of the leather are burnished. To make another I would have to ask a minimum of $250-300 to even consider selling them and I doubt anyone would be willing to pay that much. Also I basically have to buy half a cows worth of leather at a time so would need to sell at least 4 or 5 just to cover costs of materials , let alone the time...Name:  IMG_20200731_100846.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  3.22 MB

Quote Originally Posted by diana2 View Post
    Awesome work, where do you get the dome rivets from?
    I have not used any rivets. I instead used chicago screws . the dome is the nut side of the screw and the screw side is the same dome shape with a screwdriver slot as can be seen in the rear photo of the antler knife sheath. the bk7 sheath has the dome part in the back of the sheath (painted black) and I used the brass screws instead of the screw part of the chicago screw , simply because I thought the brass looked a bit classier. I wanted to be able to dissassmble everything so I could chop or change parts and mounting systems at will , all I need is a screw driver . I can carry most of the sheaths in the photos in 5 or 6 different ways by just configuring them differently by swapping out parts or leaving them off , such as horizontal or vertical carry by leaving on or removing the belt loop for example and can even switch them from left to right hand side carry by just unscrewing and reversing the sleeve and belt loops. And with the long extra strap running down the back of the bk7 sheath from the belt loop makes it simple to strap to a pack . simple and effective way to add some modularity to a leather sheath....
    Steve123 likes this.

[QUOTE=mimms2;1044399]Pretty simple solution to that one!

Lol ... I agree , the missus though... not so much !

Quote Originally Posted by 7x64 View Post
    Where do you (or anyone else for that matter!) get your leather? I’ve got a couple of knives I’m keen to have a go at making sheaths for.
    I got pretty much everything from an outfit called lapco. The only problem as mentioned was the size of the leather pieces - they are damn near half cow size and not cheap. Russet is the best type to use as can be easily worked and molded. Then of course you need some special tools like edgeinh tools etc , thread , dye , glue and do on . As mentioned I managed to find everyday items to substitute for alot of the tools required to do the job . Fot example instead of buying a stitching wheel to mark the stitching holes for drilling I used a fork and so on . Rather than buy a grooving tool to cut a groove for the stitching to lay in I wet the leather and pressed a groove with a flat bladed screwdriver instead which I believe is better anyway as you don't compromise the surface of the leather. I invented a few other wee tricks as workarounds as well.

... I had to improvise. If there is enough interest I guess I could do like a photo documentary/example of how I make them using common house hold items like teaspoons and forks... and yes I am serious - teaspoons and forks. Kiwi ingenuity at its finest.....
    That's a big undertaking but if you have the time that would be fatastic & very much appreciated. Anything that you think a bloke starting with no tools needs to know or could use.

... I do have a small amount of leather left .The only problem there is I have no knives left that need a sheath ....
    make another knife using the minimal equipment philosophy and document it. Your leather gets used up and you pass on a bunch of great info to us wannabee craftsmen & women