Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Like Tree476Likes

Thread: Playing with leather

Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    Crikey that is most impressive, the detail in the birds head is unbelievable. My d2 knife is shorter by about 2”, and is my 2ic I suppose. Will try photos later, not really fused which knife gets resheafed as they are both working knives
    Bit of a funny story with the pet drawings. An instructor at the gym I was at at the time had a dog she asked me to draw...a great dane I think it was... so she gave me a small nlack and white photo to replicate poster size. So I dot away for weeks and added a little colour using photos out of dog books with my coloured pencils. She was rapped with the finished artical. My mum did a photo copy of the pic to show around to find me more customers. She happened to show her boss the pic. The very first thing he said was "that's my dog". Mum said no it's not , he said yes it is and so on so she explained it can't be his dog and told him about the lady at gym who owned said animal. His reply was "l knew it! That is my dog! I sold it to her nearly a year ago!"
    I think that's the best compliment I've ever had.
    born to hunt - forced to work

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Ha ha crack up and obviously qudos to you for getting it so accurate. I can beat that. Had a client who asked if I could do his wife nude which I did. Initially we tried a silohete style for modesty, but in the end she just wore very very revealing indies and I worked off that. Thats her butt on my website. The Bride and the Clients husband were there which was just as well because she played up. A couple of Kowhai flowers would be a minter on my sheaf.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

I tend to look at anything I make from a practical point of view.Will it work and will it last?.Heres a pic of my "EDC"
    However, if you can make work,last and add something special to it why the hell not.

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck, Ooops and Ftx325 like this.

@Ftx325 This is a piece my Grandfather did,it's hard to get a good picture of but the horse is molded to give it a 3d appearance.
    It is shame he's not around,he would have happily offered any advice you needed.I am afraid my level of experience is rather limited when it comes to this sort of thing.

I like that one. the dog wasn't wearing anything either... does that count as a nude?
    I will have to find a clear picture of a Kowhai flower and see if I can do one on some scrap leather. As you know my lack of tools may make it particularly difficult to do anything I am happy to put on your sheath nut I will certainly try it. did you get my pm today re photo?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter Al.7mm08 View Post
    @Ftx325 This is a piece my Grandfather did,it's hard to get a good picture of but the horse is molded to give it a 3d appearance.
    It is shame he's not around,he would have happily offered any advice you needed.I am afraid my level of experience is rather limited when it comes to this sort of thing.

that is incredible........ I'm speechless. time to hang up the teaspoon and sit quietly, rocking in the corner mumbling incomprehensibly to myself........ it's official - i quit

No no dont quit, you are up there and are certainly worthy of having your work acknowledged.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Quote Originally Posted by hunter Al.7mm08 View Post

thats just awesome, serious skills there. Sadly these craft and art skills are being lost to a cell phone watching bunch of misfits. My boy is always working on his house or mine, or otherwise his multiple number of friends properties. He’s got a major working bee at his house after this weekend for the next 2 weekends after that. A massive working bee and no shortage of helpers I believe. My daughter who is a UNI is always drawing or studing, she will also join me in my stall and sell her woodworking projects. Both use their phones but are definitly not attached to them.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

@Ftx325 The picture is for motivation.just to show what is possible. Judging by some of the posts you have put up I doubt it would be very long before you produce something similar.
    Also,I have had a thought about @Gapped axe sheath.If you don't mind my input,what about a collaboration?
    Your leather with his copper.
    Perhaps instead of the leather braid,one of his copper ones.Or if @Gapped axe made his own kowhai flower from copper you attach it to the front of the belt loop somehow?.maybe riveted on top or fitted behind with a cutout to expose it.
    Just a thought

Makes to much noise if the rifle scrapes over it, I do see where yor coming from thou. That arm is from a very well known NZ who makes sure she brushes her hair from her face whilst giving an interview just so that I can see it on the tele. Lol
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Theres close on $2000 worth of gold in that bracelet. I was a tad worried when building it, but she said dont worry Bos if it goes wong we will just remelt and start again.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Ok guys.....l won't quit just yet .... Probably
    That work of your grandad @hunter Al.7mm08 is the sort of thing I would like to have a go at but not quite to that level obviously....
    It's okay @Gapped axe ... I am still developing a cunning plan ,so cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a weasel as Blackadder used to say.
    It's funny you should mention a joint effort with axe hunter as I had considered suggesting the same thing.... great minds eh ?!
    Now as I've mentioned I haven't tried anything like this before axe so don't expect to much but when I got home from work I dug out some scrap leather and after stirring my coffee with my favourite teaspoon, I decided to prove to myself that teaspoons can do anything...well , within reason... I wouldn't try changing a tyre with it....
    So here's my first attempt at your kowhai flowers. Note this is only a half done test run to hone my Ninja teaspoon technique, the first of probably shitloads of them . I should probably admit l also used a small screwdriver.... I would like to say that the photo does it no justice...but I'd be lying...lol
    Name:  IMG_20200811_211713.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  4.07 MBName:  IMG_20200811_211745.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  3.16 MB

Ok boys , what do you think? ... Be gentle with me....haha

Possibly include part of the leaf as well
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Amd the stems a little longer, flowers are pretty bloody good thou
    Micky Duck likes this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Will do a small scketch and if you incoperate my drawing onto the sheaf, then yes I have added a small bit of cont4ibution as well
    hunter Al.7mm08 likes this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"