Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: PLB and GPS or just an inReach?

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    but at least they work.
    Without any disrespect intended, Im going out on a limb here and guessing you haven’t used a Satellite phone too often.
    Very hit and miss in my experience, more so in the Southern Hemisphere.

“Gosh, that was another clear and concise conversation on the satellite phone” said no one….. ever !
    Micky Duck and Strummer like this.

hills are steeper now
    OK - plan is to replace battery in PLB and get a new GPS. Unhappy with garmin but not much out there other than them.... I'm going to wait a while as next trip not for a while. See if anything new turns up or maybe my 62s will come back to life..... I have the monterra but its heavy and chews batteries.
    thanks for the helpful discussion

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    cheers. was that the one with the corrosion?
    honestly i lose track of the things i repair.
    i am going to be in and out of hospital etc a few times soon so i cant promise a quick turnover though i will try my best
    yes, I am very happy with it

Hey just to revive an old thread and see if the market has changed over the year and a half which has passed.

I see mobile/satalite tech is rapidly developing so has the inreach gotten to a point where it's a fair substitute to do both jobs?

Personally I don't go to far bush or plan to take any silly risks, but we know how that plan can end up.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

take your PLB its there in your beltbag for the SHTF situation...your phone might get out..but at 01;30 when its sleating and your hands are cold and the brain going numb.....its going to be plurry hard to use your phone to save yourself.... that PLB will still be pinging away and the big whirlybird trying to find you in the small weather window...or the volunteers who have given up their night and tomorrows work,will have a LOT easier job of locating you if your electronics are still doing the thing thats needed.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Agree with the above and would add what I've said in another thread, that it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it !
    If you have a garden and a library, you have all you need. Oh, and a dog, and a rifle

take your PLB its there in your beltbag for the SHTF situation...your phone might get out..but at 01;30 when its sleating and your hands are cold and the brain going numb.....its going to be plurry hard to use your phone to save yourself.... that PLB will still be pinging away and the big whirlybird trying to find you in the small weather window...or the volunteers who have given up their night and tomorrows work,will have a LOT easier job of locating you if your electronics are still doing the thing thats needed.
    Noted.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

As another volly like Micky I concur totally with those wise words.
    TimC likes this.
    Happy Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Rn-85 View Post
    Hey just to revive an old thread and see if the market has changed over the year and a half which has passed.
    I see mobile/satalite tech is rapidly developing so has the inreach gotten to a point where it's a fair substitute to do both jobs?
    Personally I don't go to far bush or plan to take any silly risks, but we know how that plan can end up.
    Thoughts?
    I think inReach market will be superseded by smartphones that can poll satellites, although that is nothing more than opinion.
    Why have two separate devices and plans for the exact same function. Hopefully two way satellite communication using smartphones will prove to be robust and reliable.

Anything is better than nothing and you seem to understand the pros and cons for their emergency use vs PLBs.

Used to only take Spot messenger and then inreach and was actually dragged out of the hills thanks to spot Messenger at one stage. Nowadays I reflect on things a bit more and for the sake of $400 I'd be an angry ghost if shit went sideways and I didn't have the option of both so carry PLB now also. Inreach is good as you can communicate with rescue services and family etc if shit hits the fan and you know if you're getting a response or bot but PLB are pretty foolproof and the preferred method by those searching for you.
    BRADS, Micky Duck, Ned and 3 others like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.