Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Rain jackets

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    Based simply on price I might just have to bite the bullet and get a military one, money is very tight at the moment.
    What size are you?

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    This is all I use now (HE Halo). Cheap, nice fit, good length, light, packs away well and waterproof. If it craps out (mine hasn’t yet) its cheap to replace unlike a tear in a flash $600 jacket.

https://outdoorshop.nz/products/hunt...AaAhByEALw_wcB
    Brought one of these just after Xmas. Hasn't really rained since then so haven't given it a good test but in terms of size, shape and weight its ideal.
    stagstalker likes this.

Definitely a size small @Ross Nolan and @Dublin otherwise I will look at the Halo which was a late entry into this thread.

Thanks

H.M
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobba View Post
    Brought one of these just after Xmas. Hasn't really rained since then so haven't given it a good test but in terms of size, shape and weight its ideal.
    Also have the HE Halo have not tested it on the tops yet but been for couple walks in the rain and water beads of it all good. Nice and compact and light should do the job nicely. And i only paid $110 for it on sale.

I'm 187 tall and 95kg of rippling muscles.... (maybe not rippling), and it fits me perfectly. Sounds a bit large?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Nolan View Post
    I'm 187 tall and 95kg of rippling muscles.... (maybe not rippling), and it fits me perfectly. Sounds a bit large?
    Unfortunately it does as I'm 166 tall and an impressive 62Kg. Thanks for the offer though @Ross Nolan

You must be getting rain down there.
    Prompting need for a new jacket.
    We had rain a couple weeks ago but could do with some more after driest hottest Jan for our area.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingrid 51 View Post
    I bought Copland jacket on recommendation from sons who have served. Originally I was looking at ex nzdf ‘milair’ jackets but was warned off them by the lads. Apparently the ex UK gortex stuff is far better kit than what kiwis had issued in this regard.
    Yes, In 2006 I was issueing hundreds of sets of this stuff to new recruits, and easily 20% was coming back in after the first wet week in the field, with it delaminating, and just plain not waterproof.

I too have gone the armyand outdoor way, new UK military stuff. Its far far better, and only a hundy or so

Just ordered a Halo in black from the Gun city website for pickup next week, they are on sale for $115, would rather have bought elsewhere but price was too good to ignore.

Thanks everyone.
    stagstalker likes this.

Just ordered a Halo in black from the Gun city website for pickup next week, they are on sale for $115, would rather have bought elsewhere but price was too good to ignore.

Thanks everyone.
    It be good to know what you think of it.
    I’m considering a Cactus long coat for winter but for now a Stoney C stow it thing does me fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    It be good to know what you think of it.
    I’m considering a Cactus long coat for winter but for now a Stoney C stow it thing does me fine.

Stowits last a couple years then leak but for what they cost not to bad. I just wish they were a little longer in length
    Danny likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Stowits last a couple years then leak but for what they cost not to bad. I just wish they were a little longer in length
    Yep totally understand that. It gets me out of trouble and it’s light.
    I like cactus gear so will be looking at one of those as a future investment.

Dan M

Unfortunately it does as I'm 166 tall and an impressive 62Kg. Thanks for the offer though @Ross Nolan
    Ah bugger, i've got a ridgeline gortex jacket i bought which is too small. Only wore it once or twice, is virtually brand new. But its a large unfortunitely.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    Yes, In 2006 I was issueing hundreds of sets of this stuff to new recruits, and easily 20% was coming back in after the first wet week in the field, with it delaminating, and just plain not waterproof.

I too have gone the armyand outdoor way, new UK military stuff. Its far far better, and only a hundy or so
    Good to know! Can second the british mil surp. I've got heaps of it and none have failed, all have held up to extreme weather and i've not been wet once. Worn it for the last 8+ years at a guess?
    bumblefoot likes this.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntfisheat View Post
    Sawzi Traverse are on sale at $175 and have their Aegis fabric, which is non coated and has good breathability ratings, whatever they are worth.
    Any one got one of those? Tempted at that price, except its an anork and hasno pit zips, but for a lightweight rainy day runner or cycling jacket and for quick overnighter where rain isn't expected, could be the go???
    I’ve got one, it’s good, but the seam sealing tape is peeling away all round the top of the zip and hood. I’ve not worn it enough to warrant the failure.

Moa Hunter likes this.