Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree39Likes
  • 14 Post By Moa Hunter
  • 1 Post By Barefoot
  • 13 Post By Cordite
  • 5 Post By Moa Hunter
  • 2 Post By Delphus
  • 3 Post By Moa Hunter
  • 1 Post By Moa Hunter

Thread: Re - Waterproofing gear for tightarse's ( like me )

Banned

Re - Waterproofing gear for tightarse's ( like me )

This has been covered before I know, but not with numbers.

It is very frustrating when otherwise good serviceable hunting gear looses it's waterproof. Sprays do bugger all and then only for a short time.
    Home made Silnylon is the way, and a lot cheaper than buying hi-grade stuff when it is going to ripped and knocked about

Today I re-waterproofed a nylon coat, one of those ones that folds up into it's own pocket and a cheap pair of nylon waterproof pants that were about $25 from the Warehouse. Both leaked badly in heavy rain recently

1 Part 'Roof and Gutter' Silicon.
    2 Parts Mineral Turps

200 mils was plenty for both items. Mixed / shaken in a lidded jar until the silicon was dissolved.

Paint onto clean dry item. I did one side of each item, had a brew while they went 'touch dry', then turned them over and did the other side and hung up to dry off fully.

Weight before and after treatment coat 155grams before and 187 after + 32gm
    pants 188 before 205 after + 17gm

Tested with a hose and the water just falls off.
    Barefoot, Brian, rupert and 11 others like this.

I've got a few thing to try this recipe on, might need a quick trip to Bunnings in the morning.
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Solvent free method on thin windproof canvas, rub it grey with a white candle, shake off excess, stick in tumble drier on hot until wax soaked in and invisible. Also works on poly cotton, etc. Showerproofs, not sure how it would do in heavy sustained rain.

Don't repeat my only mistake, which was to excitedly disclose to Mrs Cordite what I'd used her tumble drier for.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Banned
    Should add, when I did my tent floor I applied a second coat when dry. Worked extremely well to the point that I pitched the tent on grass with water puddles (only spot) and no water came through, hats and gloves also done
    Carbine, Cordite, uk_exile and 2 others like this.

I’m guessing this would destroy any breathability the material had before? Sounds like a good fix otherwise.
    Cordite and Eat Meater like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Delphus View Post
    I’m guessing this would destroy any breathability the material had before? Sounds like a good fix otherwise.
    Yes makes material totally waterproof. I found with a Gortex coat I needed to wear a second totally waterproof one over the top if it was really chucking it down. This 'fix' is for those items that are non gortex like lite weight nylon coats, but it has been a really superb fix for the tents floor
    rugerman, Cordite and uk_exile like this.

Banned
    I have treated the bottom of a pack too,( the bit that gets wet in normal river crossings ) because the seams had a tiny leak and it is a better fix than seam seal tape.
    Cordite likes this.

So 300g tube how much turps do you put with it.?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    So 300g tube how much turps do you put with it.?
    1 Part Silicone 2 Parts Turps seems to work but you can go thicker or thinner depending on what surface its going on to. Too thick and I imagine it wont soak in and properly bond / become incorporated into the fabric. Think of it like a waterproof paint that keys into the surface

So if I was doing little batches, 200ml of turps to 100ml of silicone or am I overthinking it and just thin to suit and rough volumes are good? Couple of little jobbies I have lined up where this might actually be the perfect thing!

I can definitely see it being perfect for tent floors etc, possibly packs too? Does it affect the appearance of the material much?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    So if I was doing little batches, 200ml of turps to 100ml of silicone or am I overthinking it and just thin to suit and rough volumes are good? Couple of little jobbies I have lined up where this might actually be the perfect thing!
    You are overthinking it for sure. I just squirt say 20mm of silicon into a jar, add 35 - 40 mm of Turps, stir, put the lid on and shake until dissolved.
    A tent floor will need more - just have a guess at what you think, can always mix more.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Delphus View Post
    I can definitely see it being perfect for tent floors etc, possibly packs too? Does it affect the appearance of the material much?
    If the silicon is applied thick it is visible as a plastic looking layer. If thin on a nylon coat for example it only changes the appearance a little, much as would be expected. I haven't coated any non hunting gear. I have coated some Maxiflex gloves and it is not visible

Thanks.