Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: refill your disposable canisters

K95
    That's called evaporative cooling Cam, you might see that as ice forming on the outside of the canister sometimes even if the ambient air temperature is not below freezing. You've sussed one of the ways around it with sitting the canister in the warm water. The other way is using a stove that can handle liquid feed and inverting the canister.

K95
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    This has me a bit scared now.
    I have been very wary of the cookers with the aerosol looking canisters like the one pictured a few posts back. Got called to a incident where a guy was cooking with a large pan on one and I presumed the pan had reflected the heat back down and cooked the canister. Blew flames up his shorts and made a hell of a mess.
    Might go back to my whisperlite.
    Yup. If he had of read the manual (yeah right) he would have seen there is a maximum safe diameter pot/pan to be used on those cookers for that exact reason. A large amount of people over the world have been seriously injured or killed with those types of stove. They actually have two safety features - there is an automatic "disconnector" that will push the canister back at like 70-80PSI and then if the can continues to increase in pressure at something like 200PSI the can itself has small holes around the top called "Rim Vent Release/RVR" that will rupture and dump the gas. Unfortunately sometimes the first stage doesn't work properly and when the second safety goes and there's still a flame present it explodes.
    Last edited by K95; 10-04-2020 at 10:24 AM.

I won’t mention how my mate warms a can up as K95 will have a heart attack I just chuck mine in my sleeping bag at night if I’m camping somewhere cold.

Get one of these https://www.mtngear.nz/product/gas-c...refill-adaptor $10 great for using up all those half/ quarter full cans you have lying around, and you can buy the large size ones and decanter into your smaller ones, save a few $$
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

K95
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    I won’t mention how my mate warms a can up as K95 will have a heart attack I just chuck mine in my sleeping bag at night if I’m camping somewhere cold.

Get one of these https://www.mtngear.nz/product/gas-c...refill-adaptor $10 great for using up all those half/ quarter full cans you have lying around, and you can buy the large size ones and decanter into your smaller ones, save a few $$
    I've seen some inventive ways. I'm not trying to be the fun police I just think there is a genuine ignorance of the risks with most people.This thread has over 15,500 views and no one had pointed out it's not a bright idea. We're all clued up about reloading and safety around that, our gas cookers are probably the only other thing we take with us in the hills that could explode. You're only going to be better equiped to make your own decisions around them if you learn a bit about them.

This could have the making of a Darwin Award if not careful?

It seems to me that we have more incidents with improper use rather than refilling.
    I agree with @R95 that a warning should be given to anyone considering refilling, I’m just not sure you can stop some people hurting themselves.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Name:  DD10F086-5031-483C-A292-1885E2DD935B.jpeg
Views: 147
Size:  13.7 KB
    These type had an issue some time back where you had to turn the top over (it was turn upside down for packing) before use otherwise it blew up.
    Having any fuel under pressure near a flame is asking for trouble.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

K95
    Quote Originally Posted by 2post View Post
    It seems to me that we have more incidents with improper use rather than refilling.
    I agree with @R95 that a warning should be given to anyone considering refilling, I’m just not sure you can stop some people hurting themselves.
    Absolutely agree with you 2post. Refilling seems to have just become a "thing" recently though. As long as I've thrown out some info for people to consider I've done my part.

Some good visual data on the gases here. Note at 30C (90F) 100% Propane has 5 times the vapour pressure of 100% Butane and the difference increases with higher temperature: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/p...ix-d_1043.html

And an interesting video showing a couple types of valve systems: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpJQ5V6PQ4k

I'm gonna leave it at that people, better livin' .

We dont get 100% propane tho do we, its about 60/40 for lpg?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

K95
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    We dont get 100% propane tho do we, its about 60/40 for lpg?
    Yes we do, refer to the post I did a page back. "LPG" the stuff you buy for your BBQ in New Zealand is typically 60:40 Propane/Butane. Pause that video I posted at 0.57 and have a look at that chart in the background. The top line is 100% Propane, the bottom is 100% Butane. The ones in the middle are mixes and Isobutane. Should be clear what I'm getting at. It's all there for you now, make your own minds up. I really am gone now.

K95
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Um, what did I do or did you not read pages 1-4?
    It would appear you told them it seems like a good idea to you with a not very informative warning about where to do said refilling. In the interests of some young impressionable fella not hurting himself this thread should sink into a watery grave

As a side note, on one of the many forums where the moderators moderate a thread like this would have been deleted pretty early on.
    Last edited by K95; 15-04-2020 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post

That was quick.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
    outdoorlad likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

@vietnamcam Excellent
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!