Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: refill your disposable canisters

just picked up a few 250g cans from mitre10 mega, cost about $6 ea (not much more than wholesale price)...... hardly worth the risk of my face sluffing off over being a $6 tight arse.

If you use a remote canisiter and can invert it then you'll get the most out of it. But yeah the "how long will a half full can last? " question will still be there. unless you can weigh them?

The lightweight hiking guys in the US are getting 20-22 1liter full rolling boils using the remote burners/windscreen/Heat exhanger pots and 250g cans.
    GEAR » New Stove Gear: Fire Maple 117t and XK6 "HE" Pot -- BackpackingLight.com Forums

Pretty reasonable pricing on these too, while still being really light. full set up including a full 250g can is about 500g.
    http://www.fire-maple.com/en/productsinfo.aspx?pid=8
    http://www.fire-maple.com/en/productsinfo.aspx?pid=30
    Last edited by chris-b; 05-09-2015 at 03:43 PM.
    Ping-Ping and Pew-Pew.
    Mathews Monster 28" @ 60#. X-Bolt .308

yeah mine doesn't fit, ordered it from the aliexpress link provided
    #BallisticFists

K95
    The MSR cans I use have marks on the side which show how full the can is when floating in water.
    "Treat the Earth well. It was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.”

Quote Originally Posted by chris-b View Post
    just picked up a few 250g cans from mitre10 mega, cost about $6 ea (not much more than wholesale price)...... hardly worth the risk of my face sluffing off over being a $6 tight arse.
    My motivation for refilling my own canisters was not a "tight arse" move but more a way to reduce the amount of waste that is caused by the "disposable" nature most of our gear is these days. I can only imagine the many partial empty canisters clogging up the ever-growing landfills in this world, or even worse biffed in the bush as it was "dead weight" for the walk out... 1 step at a time.
    veitnamcam, gadgetman and madmaori like this.
    "Professionals are predictable but the world is full of dangerous amateurs"

Often see 2 or 3 or even 4 all but empty cans left in a hut...
    Nobody wants your empty gas cans.
    Carry them out ya lazy cunts you are not doing anyone a favor.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    puku, Shooter, BRADS and 1 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    My motivation for refilling my own canisters was not a "tight arse" move but more a way to reduce the amount of waste that is caused by the "disposable" nature most of our gear is these days. I can only imagine the many partial empty canisters clogging up the ever-growing landfills in this world, or even worse biffed in the bush as it was "dead weight" for the walk out... 1 step at a time.
    Yeah good point this - I have a little tool for opening them up so you can squash the empties flat. I'm assuming after that they can be recycled, yeah? Just put them out with the beer cans?

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    Ditto, And i can't keep collecting partially emptied gas canisters,

Just watch what you buy on Aliexpress, don't expect to get a refund if a package arrives with a poorly manufactured, rusty paperweight that slightly resembles the object in the photos.

I've now been burnt so going to stick to Ebay and Amazon as much as possible

Quote Originally Posted by specweapon View Post

Just watch what you buy on Aliexpress, don't expect to get a refund if a package arrives with a poorly manufactured, rusty paperweight that slightly resembles the object in the photos.

I have found the key to using Aliexpress is to do your home work right and only buy from sellers that have great feedback and have sold many, many of the said item. Reading the feedback is also a good way to get a more accurate description of the goods.
    Last edited by Shooter; 07-09-2015 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Spelling
    gadgetman likes this.
    "Professionals are predictable but the world is full of dangerous amateurs"

What did you get?

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    What did you get?
    Just a couple of .22 scope mounts, were covered in rust on all of the steel parts, threads were stripped on half of the screws and the scope tubes part was so poorly finished the 2 halves wouldn't even close up.

Also got an airsoft scope mount for a friend of a friend from different seller, same thing.

Both partial refund requests were rejected, and they made me take heaps od photos and videos.

I just don't think aliexpress is cheap enough for the minimal buyer protection it offers

Just a couple of .22 scope mounts, were covered in rust on all of the steel parts, threads were stripped on half of the screws and the scope tubes part was so poorly finished the 2 halves wouldn't even close up.

Also got an airsoft scope mount for a friend of a friend from different seller, same thing.

Both partial refund requests were rejected, and they made me take heaps od photos and videos.

I just don't think aliexpress is cheap enough for the minimal buyer protection it offers
    Ah, yea I dont think I would buy firearm parts off there.
    The two things I have brought have been exactly as expected,cheap but functional.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by chris-b View Post

If you use a remote canisiter and can invert it then you'll get the most out of it. But yeah the "how long will a half full can last? " question will still be there. unless you can weigh them?

The lightweight hiking guys in the US are getting 20-22 1liter full rolling boils using the remote burners/windscreen/Heat exhanger pots and 250g cans.
    GEAR » New Stove Gear: Fire Maple 117t and XK6 "HE" Pot -- BackpackingLight.com Forums

Pretty reasonable pricing on these too, while still being really light. full set up including a full 250g can is about 500g.
    http://www.fire-maple.com/en/productsinfo.aspx?pid=8
    http://www.fire-maple.com/en/productsinfo.aspx?pid=30
    I am going to buy that cooker as having it stand on the ground independantly of the gas can is much more stable. I tried the 28g micro cooker (screws to the top of the gas can) but it's just too lightweight for a big billy. I wasn't aware of the heat exchanger billy so thanks for posting that.

Bought 3 100g jetboil canisters from Macpac today, $6.45, the cheapest ive seen in a while for that size. Will have a go at the refilling thing.

Macpac have been running a special on the 100g, they were 5.81... I 've seen various 110g at Bunnings, plenty of places have the smaller cans... I've found the JetBoil to be better for my JetBoil, mix seems to be slightly different than Kovea, and the others...

My 2 adaptors arrived today, have taken 1,2 and 3 turns off the thread and taken off the rubber seal, mine still leaks gas out around the fitting. Do i need to take more thread off to screw it in further?