Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Resole question

Resole question

Hi
    Wondering if anyone can offer a recommendation?
    My Lowa's died after 4 years - I learnt about Hydrolysis at that time.
    Retailer did me an awesome price on some Zamberlain's as replacement, which they recommended. They lasted 7 months or so and fell apart during a river crossing - hydrolysis as well. Retailer sent them to distributor and they said they will refund as they can't be repaired, and retailer said I'll end up paying more for a new pair of shoes as they did me a discount on the Zamberlains.

Since I liked my Lowa's I tried to do resole and submitted form and pictures online on their website, but unable to get a reply from Lowa after 8 days. I'm still hoping for a response, but conscious I don't have boots at moment so looking at plan B's.

So my question is
    1. Is there anyone else that can resole Lowa's in NZ? Google isn't coming up with anything useful
    2. Any brand's that have good NZ support for resoling or repairs, if I buy new boots?

Hope some of the experienced people in here can offer some advice

Yes there is a guy in Ashburton that specializes in resoling these boots. I will find the contact details.

Yep, the guy in Ashburton is excellent. Had a pair of Meindls resoled by him. Rand is delaminating now but this is a common problem, the soles are fine.

This guy in Hamilton is excellent https://www.qualityshoerepairs.co.nz/
    He has resoled Lowa Tibets and Meindl Islands for us, top job on both.
    Chur Bay likes this.

This is the Ashburton guy. I have used him in two occasions. He was/is the Meindel official repairer

Name:  IMG_4151.jpeg
Views: 288
Size:  217.1 KB
    mikee, Micky Duck, DarrenJ and 1 others like this.

What is it with the Euro hunting boots and the soles falling apart so young? For the price you pay, I'd be expecting to wear the soles out by going through them before they fall off all other things being equal.

I have a pair of US hunting boots, been fine for years plus a pair of Chinese NZ brand boots that seem fine so far too. My 2 pairs of Mammoet goretex workboots have done about 7 years in and out of salt and fresh water on boats and muddy dive sites and are falling apart internally in the linings but still wearing them as they are in one piece and watertight still - that's in salt water I repeat which is one of the worse things you can do to boots short of highly corrosive salts or acids.

If the only advantage to the PU midsole is slightly better foot comfort my vote goes towards the boot without a shock absorbing inner sole component and using replaceable shock absorbing innersoles. Seems to be a far better setup than a boot where the bloody sole drops off mid hunt!
    rupert and RV1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by duckdog View Post
    This guy in Hamilton is excellent https://www.qualityshoerepairs.co.nz/
    He has resoled Lowa Tibets and Meindl Islands for us, top job on both.
    I got a pair of Scarpa Mantas done by him last week. Haven't worn them yet but they look OK.
    $250
    RV1 likes this.
    Overkill is still dead.

Awesome! Thanks everyone for pointing me in the direction of some repairers. I'll be on the phone to them in next couple of days

RV1
    My Scarpa leather boots blew apart half an hour into an overnight tramp the other week... switched over to the trail runners I carried in the top of my pack and carried on. Easy tramping so carrying a couple of kg of ruined boots in the pack wasn't too bad. Classic case of PU mid-sole hydrolysis. I've searched and searched online and can't seem to find whether they can be resoled. If it's going to cost upwards of $250... then forget it, I'll just buy a new pair. Sucks because the soles still had good tread left and the leather upper is very comfy and in good nick. Just that blimmin PU mid-sole.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    I got a pair of Scarpa Mantas done by him last week. Haven't worn them yet but they look OK.
    $250
    Name:  17099491022387622444760850078904.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  4.69 MB
    RV1 likes this.
    Overkill is still dead.

Resole question

I had a pair of Meindel Island’s resoled after after blowing out. Got the new soles from Stager sport and used a bloke over here. Boots were a lot less comfortable after new sole. Lost half a size and only lasted about 3 more hunts. I wouldn’t do it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My cheap chinese pair of boots blew their soles apart today - must have jinxed myself. The US made boots seem to still be going though, but these are not NZ summer boots as the things are thinsulate and goretex lined. Nice in winter but damn near a snow-rated boot for me. The cheapies were a good soft soled boot for crunchy stuff, and not too slippery. Oh well, a good excuse for shopping haha.

Got my Lowas resoled through lowa at Gemmels shoe repairs on symmonds street - $230 Hydrolysis had got the midsole too. I understand that Lowa are about to be able to offer a re-rand service soon too
    Was BINGO the name of the farmer or the dog?

BFA
    I've chewed through a few pairs of Meindl chainsaw boots and have had 2 pairs re-soled at different outfits, but neither have been comfortable to wear again, on one repair the glue gave up pretty quickly as well. I'm interested to hear how people that have had their boots re-soled at Perrets have found them to wear again- the uppers on my boots last reasonably well and I'd love to get a bit more life out of them. Even if they lasted a year I'd be pretty happy, nearly $800/pair, getting around 2 years out of them. Worth it though.

BFA,
    Same experience but different operator doing the repairs.
    I reckon the issue is that when resoled there is no cushioning layer replacement. Also boot becomes a bit smaller due to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BFA likes this.