Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Which Safe to go for?

If you live near an rd1 store have a look at their ones think they have two sizes a 5 and a 7, they are a no brander but in my opinion have a good multi bolt lock on the door and a good price,around $300?? Just an idea. It's the right one far better than the POS next to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks mate, I'll check it out.
    We must have similar interests, I also have comp cams, Wilwood and about to add some msd stickers to my tool box to

Sent from my workbench
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
    Taff there's no time restriction here in NZ, the 2 ratings simply deal with a minimum metal thickness for a safe. A strong room is also acceptable though.
    I got told by my FA officer when he did my A cat licence ( 6 months ago) that the safe had to withstand 10 min attack with hand tools. I think he said 2mm steel and if wood the walls and door need to be a minimum of 18mm.
    If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of food.

Nothing too wrong with the Edge Security safes, they have a ISO 9001 Certified

This is for the e-cat version. Even if I only own A-cat firearms I would still recommend having an e-cat safe.
    My 67 year old mother has an e-cat safe and she's been burgled twice but they never touch the safe

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~trevs/F...CAT%20CERT.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by possummatti View Post
    I got told by my FA officer when he did my A cat licence ( 6 months ago) that the safe had to withstand 10 min attack with hand tools. I think he said 2mm steel and if wood the walls and door need to be a minimum of 18mm.
    I think you'll find your AO was explaining best practice/interpretation of good storage, rather than a specific/legal definition.
    Arms Regulations 1992 (SR 1992/346) (as at 11 December 2013) 19 Conditions relating to security precautions – New Zealand Legislation

Personally I feel the minimum standards accepted are just too low, but that's just my personal opinion - translation means jack shit
    Yukon, mikee and possummatti like this.

Anyone use the safes off 1-day that come up? The Buffalo Sports ones?

The 1day safes have been discussed before. Personally, I compared them to tinfoil, they really are that basic. A mate bought one and it barely withstood the courier delivery.
    Kscott, Dchild and Tommy like this.

Reloaders for me. Invest the $ and protect the investment.
    peril 787b likes this.

MSL
    The ones from rd1 are solid. Heavier gauge steel than the Kilwell safes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How can you realistically give a time frame on which it needs to withstand someone with tools?
    Depending on if its a 15 year old with a screw driver, or a engineer with a grinder or a gas torch.

Surely when the Arms officer comes over, they should have enough knowledge to assess of its ok or not.
    veitnamcam and Yukon like this.

Anyway, is there any place recommend or best avoid for getting a decent safe?
    Seems to be some good deals on trademe, but I tend to assume the low price is a good indicator of the quality?

Are you better off to go to Reloaders or Guncity than a no name Trademe seller?

I have done a fair bit of looking around for safes and there are far more options in store or on a stores website than trademe. There are three brand at my look h&f all I couldn't find trademe.
    Checked out the rd1 safe today, that's the one I'll be buying

Sent from my workbench
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    Anyway, is there any place recommend or best avoid for getting a decent safe?
    Seems to be some good deals on trademe, but I tend to assume the low price is a good indicator of the quality?

Are you better off to go to Reloaders or Guncity than a no name Trademe seller?
    Price isn't always an indicator, as TM sellers have lower overheads than shops - rent, wages, ACC levies, etc all factor into the costs for running a shop, which factors into the price something can sell for.

Personally I'd buy from a shop that (A) has a good reputation and (B) has a good chance of being around in a few years in case you need help/support. There's a higher chance you won't have that from a TM seller. Equally there's a chance a shop could close down - Sportsway in Mt Eden for example. There's no cast iron promise that the shop and TM seller will still be around in the future.

Buy from a shop - walk into it, have a physical look at the product, kick the tyres and decide on what you see. Rather than make a decision based only on a photo.
    Yukon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
    Price isn't always an indicator, as TM sellers have lower overheads than shops - rent, wages, ACC levies, etc all factor into the costs for running a shop, which factors into the price something can sell for.

Personally I'd buy from a shop that (A) has a good reputation and (B) has a good chance of being around in a few years in case you need help/support. There's a higher chance you won't have that from a TM seller. Equally there's a chance a shop could close down - Sportsway in Mt Eden for example. There's no cast iron promise that the shop and TM seller will still be around in the future.

Buy from a shop - walk into it, have a physical look at the product, kick the tyres and decide on what you see. Rather than make a decision based only on a photo.
    Cheers,

I would preferably like a combination one, then I wouldn't have to worry about keys.
    Not to keen on an electronic one though.

Are combination ones overly common?

I have an Edge E Cat safe, very good value for the dollars, keeps all my toys safe and sound.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.