Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: SCALPEL FOR HUNTING ?

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    You can sharpen the blades, so they don't have to be disposable.
    Probably true but then why own one when the whole idea is to be able to swap a blunt blade out for a new one.
    If you re-sharpen the old blades you may as well just use a fixed blade and sharpen that .

Quote Originally Posted by ZQLewis View Post
    Hunted with a guy who had a duel blade Folding knife. Standard 5" blade for the normal work and a little replaceable scalpel blade which he used for the fine work. ie clearing around the ass etc Much easier with a small fine blade, particularly on a fellow hind etc.
    Enough to make me think about getting one but have not seen them commonly available.
    Z
    Steven Rinella aka the meateater uses something like that I have seen it on his show.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    Probably true but then why own one when the whole idea is to be able to swap a blunt blade out for a new one.
    If you re-sharpen the old blades you may as well just use a fixed blade and sharpen that .
    The point is that you can have a second razor sharp blade at hand in the bush ready to go without having to carry a second knife. Just swap them out and sharpen when you get home.
    BRADS and viper like this.

Yeah I've used one only once on one animal I found it really hard to use with the size of the blade compared to what I'm used to.
    Just my experience

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    The point is that you can have a second razor sharp blade at hand in the bush ready to go without having to carry a second knife. Just swap them out and sharpen when you get home.
    Just learn how to sharpen a knife. Don't get me wrong , I think the concept is awesome and I use something similar for signwriting all day and I admire the idea of you re - using the blades but it's not the purpose of the knife.
    Snap off blades , replacement blades , scalpels are probably all able to be re-sharpened but that's not the idea behind the knife.......the whole idea is not to re-sharpen .
    Good on you though.
    caberslash and CBH Australia like this.

For sale on TM this morning - everything you could ever want in a state of the art knife sharpening system ............

Name:  Screenshot 2021-09-21 093535.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  100.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ripped undies View Post
    was that your lockdown project
    Not mine ..... but it is an engineering masterpiece! Way better than those pissy arse Lansky's!

Bit heavier than a Lansky when its in your pack or back pocket.!!!!
    ebf and caberslash like this.

I use a modified Gerber one as I much prefer the locking system as the havalons are straight up deadly to change the blades on if bloody. I originally got it as I was guiding and for headskinning turning eye lids, flipping ears inside out etc a scalpel is more or less essential. Now I use it for everything and have the havalon as my spare knife. You have to be precise with your cuts and you can't go popping joints etc but if you learn it's easy to make the right cuts easily enough. I've broken down entire moose and the only reason for a blade change is because it's nice to have a fresh blade when doing the head skin for salt. I usually can do 2-3 deer with a blade. I can even take the ribs using the joint near the spine and doing the brisket cut last, if I'm somewhere that is an easy enough pack out and I feel like the ribs are worth the weight. It does teach you be precise and when you start using them you will cut the shit out of yourself lots and you won't feel it until later and you will likely blunten alot while learning the joints etc. Personally I like it as I'm going to cary one anyway for headskins and don't see the value in a heavy knife as well. Wouldn't mind a little opinel but don't see the need.
    erniec, viper and Ftx325 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by erniec View Post
    Bit heavier than a Lansky when its in your pack or back pocket.!!!!
    Details, mere details ........

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    For sale on TM this morning - everything you could ever want in a state of the art knife sharpening system ............

Attachment 179254
    If that was down here I would be tempted

Yep.

I've got a couple of these and few sets of blades on order from Ali.
    Purely as an emergency backup. Blades are short - but for 2 knives and about 50 blades, I'm about $22 in....

Name:  folding-knife.JPG
Views: 344
Size:  77.1 KB
    Ftx325 likes this.

This is a Havalon. The good thing is that the scalpel blade locks closed so it can't open in your pocket, which would be an ouch if it did. The larger blade is handier than the scalpel one.
    This is always in my pack as my spare knife.

Son has a Chinese Havalon copy and says the blades are sharp but don't hold their edge.

Name:  FullSizeRender 2.jpeg
Views: 416
Size:  3.72 MB
    Pengy, viper, Micky Duck and 4 others like this.

@Tahr. I got the orange version as I tend to drop things and never see them again
    Tahr likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1