Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Sleeping mat, insulated or not?

I always thought the trapped air inside the mat/lilo worked as insulation....I took the piss out of my 3 companions on duckshooting opening weekend they all had stretchers UNTILL my cheapho air matress burst...luckily my daughter took pity on me and gave me the closed cell foam mat for Saturday night. I usually end up sleeping on clothing,not to add warmth but to add padding so my arms dont go numb during the night.

I use an original neoair without insulation. Used in a hammock and on ground. Never noticed it being cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    I always thought the trapped air inside the mat/lilo worked as insulation...
    It does provide some insulation... but when that air is free to circulate it still transfers heat by convection. Insulation inside traps the air in little pockets so it doesn't move around, which means less heat is transferred from one side to the other. Its just the amount of insulation that varies.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I use the Thermarest Xtherm all year round, (square version) it is amazing.

H.M
    Just ordered the klymit insulated static v lite, will report back on my thoughts once i have used it, although anything will be better than the rubbish mcpac one i had that took up half my pack. Cheers for the advice
    hotsoup likes this.