Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Sleeping mats

If your able to it may be worth tracking down a couple of Matt's with different designs in terms of how the lines run vertically or horizontally an try lying on them to see which type you prefer. The comfort is quite different on each.

I have a Klymit Ultralite and have had no trouble with it comfortable to sleep on back and side and I’m not a small fulla either! It packs down small just need about 10 big breaths to inflate it.

Exped SynMat UL Sleeping Mats.
    Have one in a long wide.
    Gives you a bit more room.
    Arms don,t fall off.

some time mid 90's I moved to a thermorest from a foam roll.
    Just recently moved to an Exped down mat. Love it.
    You do need to avoid the temptation to blow it up and use the built in pump. Don't want moisture in the down.
    They do make lighter models but online research suggests the ultra light mats have a limited life. 200gr was not worth it to me.
    620gr and 3.5ltr volume R=4.1
    Z
    Ps probably the Exped Syn mats would make more sense for our damp weather but I liked the idea of down insulation.
    Last edited by ZQLewis; 16-01-2020 at 11:43 PM.

+1 Thermarest NeoAir XLite, comfortable, very light and packs down well. Take care of them and they'll last. Lifetime warranty on them. I've slept over 250 nights on one. R-Value of 3.2. They're much cheaper if you import from Amazon. Landed on your doorstep including GST for around $220-230 NZD. Hard to beat...

I like the Exped mats. Got a downmat lite 5 first (~650g), then later a synmat hyperlite 7 (~360g) to save weight for walking up big hills and not have to be so careful about getting moisture in it.

I actually find the downmat 5 comfier despite being thinner, different shaped baffles and I prefer it pumped up firmer so the thickness doesn't matter as much.

The hyperlite is good too but a bit narrower as it tapers towards the feet, so if you roll around in your sleep your feet/legs can hang off the edge onto the ground.

Get the schnozzle bag for inflating them instead of the silly little pump, heaps quicker. 2-3 bags of air and its done.

Once I finally got one one I fell pretty stupid about how many years I'd stubbornly used a foam roll and thought inflatable mats were only for softies.
    erniec likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    Sea to Summit make a range of pads. Particularly a ultralight insulated pad with a R value of about 4.
    I have one now with about 10 bush nights on it and it makes for a good sleep. Use it with a macpac Neve bag. The Neve only has down on the top so your pad fitted into a pocket keeps your under side warm.
    I support that. My Sea to Summit Ether Light XT is pretty comfortable.

Trying to compare the xtherm and the xlite at the moment for year round use, if anyone has had both and can offer same advice.
    The xlite is 90 grams lighter but for that much weight are you better off with the xtherm with the heavier bottom material. They say they are both the same size once rolled up but not sure that is actually the case.

Xtherm is worth the 90gms. Lifts you right off the ground, sliding of the side is like falling out the top bunk

For what it's worth I got a vaude down filled sleeping mat. Reasonably durable. Seems to be pretty warm but haven't taken it anywhere cold yet.

More pills and Powder!! burtonator's Avatar
    +1 for the the xtherm, i have had nothing but good nights sleep on them.
    I watched a heap of youtube videos etc with people testing them against the other brands exped etc and they came out on top. for 430grams and a rating of 5.7 its pretty good
    Life is the art of drawing without an eraser

I see the newer neoairs have increased there R rating for the same weight. Even tho the xlite has a good enough r rating for most i think i would still lean toward the xtherm for the 70d base
    Xtherm has gone from 5.7 to 6.9
    Xlite has gone from 3.2 to 4.2
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.

K95
    If I was going to buy a sleeping pad tomorrow it'd be the sea to summit ether light xt womens model. Put a bit of closed cell under it and it'd be sweet.