Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree22Likes
  • 6 Post By Gfootey
  • 3 Post By Rosco
  • 3 Post By Russian 22.
  • 2 Post By G.I_Joel
  • 4 Post By stagstalker

Thread: Storing tent etc in the bush?

Storing tent etc in the bush?

Any great ideas for storing a tent in the bush? Im thinking a bucket in a tree with holes in the bottom of the bucket to let moisture out?

Im not sure how to get around the fact you will probably be repacking it wet...

A giant ziplock bag, add oversize moisture absorber.

And yes, why?
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Gkp
    I have thought of doing the same thing for that favourite spot that is a big walk in. I would leave a pot and pan in there too.
    Maybe a big piece of black plastic or tarp might be better to fly camp under. Roll up and stash under a rock or hang in a tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Gkp View Post
    I have thought of doing the same thing for that favourite spot that is a big walk in. I would leave a pot and pan in there too.
    Maybe a big piece of black plastic or tarp might be better to fly camp under. Roll up and stash under a rock or hang in a tree.
    Yep this is why , to save carrying it! Just bought a pack raft so would be lugging that in there, making less room in my pack.
    Polythenes plan b but mosquitos etc suck. Spose could stash or carry in some bug mesh.

Almost died on one trip up to the tops.. Car broke down which meant we walked up in dark. Weather turned into sleet and blowing a gale. By the time we got to campsite I was totally written off ( early stages hypothermia - just wanted to sleep had - trouble walking etc)
    Expected to find a tarp and cooking gear we had stashed from previous trip Which was no longer there. My mate (ex deer culler) and as hard as hell somehow managed to get me down off the tops into bush and got a fire going and without a doubt saved my life.
    So I’m just saying that if you expect to find your stash - be prepared that you just might not

20l bucket with push on lid, just make sure it is dry when you put it in other wise it will get moldy, we have tents and sleeping bags stored this way for over 25 years..... we bury them in the ground, get a small kids spade to take and hang it in a tree for next time.....
    Micky Duck, Cordite and mimms2 like this.

If you're planning on using the tent as a base camp then don't. Just build a bivvy that is nice and don't tell anyone about the location
    7mmsaum, berg243 and G.I_Joel like this.

after having bits of gear stolen over the years i've given up on leaving things hidden where i thought no one would find it.
    i just bought lighter gear and trained more often.
    ive also stumbled across plenty of gear and man some of the things people lug into the bush is incredible
    Russian 22. and Gkp like this.

I reckon good idea so long as it gets cleared back out 10 years down the track when it’s no longer being used. The amount of stashed tarps, buckets and crap I have found over the years that are clearly no longer being used and now just filling the bush with rubbish becomes quite annoying. Like I say though, if you are using it and it’s managed then great idea!