Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Some thoughts on gear companies.

That clogger gear is good, I have Stihl PPE simply cause I got it cheap and secondhand haha. Hear that about the big saws, a lot of horsepower pulls the string straight through. The sleeper for chap defeat are the little battery jobbies. The torque of DC electric will start the strands moving and pull the strands straight through the clutch.

Agree with the sales model thing though, profit factors are one thing but some of the business model costs and fixed overheads that these businesses are trying to operate under are just predatory. Some of the malls put their sqm rate for shop floor space up by 200% in the last few years and then started trying to clobber 20% of turnover figures on top of sqm rental rates! True to on the costs to land shipments into NZ, we get one or two containers a year - Walmart and Basspro level stores will order tens of 20ft shipping containers of just that one model of a product. Literally one product which they then repack into container loads for each shopsite at their main distribution wharehouses...
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LMcNab View Post
    I may be right, or I may be wrong but when it comes to choosing who I buy gear from, I make certain assumptions about the quality of the gear based on the behavior of the company. Price certainly can be indicative of quality, but as we all know too well, there are some very expensive lemons out there.

In my head I split the cost to manufacture and sell any piece of gear is split into a bunch of different categories.

Raw materials
    Labor
    Retail costs
    Shipping and distribution
    and Marketing

I don't know what the exact ratios are, it's not important really for my buying process, just being aware they all have a share of the price tag is what's important.

The way in my mind to maximize the quality of the product you end up with for what you spend is to choose companies that minimize the costs of the product that have absolutely no impact on quality. Basically, the 3 bottom on the list above.

One of the things I have been considering is the huge amount some of the companies spend on A) Marketing campaigns on social media and B) Sponsoring "celebrities" and their shows or content. Anyone who has dabbled in promoting stuff on Facebook or youtube can tell you, that shits not cheap and some of these companies are throwing ads at you like it's going out of fashion. One of my rules for buying is I try to go to word-of-mouth recommended companies, which I haven't ever seen large-scale paying for social media ads, sponsoring influencers, or in not-so-subtle product placements on tv shows. All these costs are passed on in the price tag of your goods, and add nothing to their performance as a piece of kit.

I should caveat before someone trolls through my photos and points out something like Stoney creek or First Lite, I will pay for this stuff secondhand if it comes up cheap enough!

Another thing I consider is retail costs. If I can buy direct from the companies that is doing the manufacturing, that seems to me like it should result in a better cost/quality ratio. The company makes the stuff, and ships it straight to me, the end consumer. There is no markup by a secondary retailer, and no money is spent hanging it on a rack for display. I understand some folks like to try things on in a physical store, and I can appreciate that, but most companies have really good sizing charts online now and if you know your own measurements, you can make pretty bloody accurate orders without putting things on first.
    I also acknowledge the need to support local retail outlets, if you want to have them stay around. I do try to use them as much as I can when what I want isn't available straight from the manufacturer.

These are just my thoughts, arguably they are wrong, but I'd have to say, they have resulted in some brilliant pieces of gear. Some companies whose stuff is killing it that I have found are Twinneedle, Earth Sea Sky, Sarvos MTac gear and boots (which sadly is no longer available), Kaiwaka, and Squires manufacturing. Coincidently they are all also manufacturing here in NZ!

If you disagree with my ethos, let me know why? Maybe you feel like promoting hunting entertainment is worth paying a bit more for your kit for?

Also, feel free to chuck some more companies out there who are doing a great job.
    Cheers.
    One point worth noting- Any manufacturer who supplies direct to the public and discounts below what his distribution retailers sell it for will not last very long.
    -Almost immediately, his retailers will stop buying it to sell - they wont earn a living being undercut by their own supplier. and
    -secondly- the distribution retailers business model is built on customer facing interactions as their primary skill set. A manufacturer does not. Thus if the retailer cannot sell that product they will find another and they will still be more effective at selling than the original manufacturer.
    A potential third consequence is the alternative gear sold by the retailer may end up being a bit dearer than the original product, but a better sales team and the reduced price of the original product may lead to the perception that the cheaper direct to market product is inferior.
    mikee likes this.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......