Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Spotlight recommendations

Spotlight recommendations

Hey team,

What's everyone using as their spotlights? What do you recommend?
    It will be mainly used for possums/rabbits. For out on the farm. I'm wanting something pretty bright with some good distance, battery powdered.
    Anyway let me know what you think.

Cheers much appreciated
    Bevan

Maxtoch. Wouldn't go anywhere else.
    Run one on my rifle. One round my neck for general scanning.

Heaps of guys on here run them. Gadget et al

LED's come in different colour temperatures from slightly yellow (looks like a halogen) to almost blue tinged. some LED units are total crap, some are pretty good. the main advantage is that they use less power for the same or greater light, generate less heat too. HID can give issues as they dont like low batteries, unsmooth/unregulated DC and some models do not like running over prolonged periods eg: running off a vehicle constantly.

if power drain isnt an issue the halogen is ok, but dont be fooled into thinking a 100W halogen is twice as bright as a 50W, you would be lucky to get 20% more light.

for halogens and HID then the bigger the reflector and lens the better. a 240mm 35 W halogen blows a 100W 140mm halogen out of the water.

for more compact heck use a maxtoch or olight system.

For ease of use, no wires to worry about. Spare batteries that fit in a shirt pocket, it's pretty hard to go past the 2X Maxtoch. Three power levels, low and medium plenty bright enough for possums, rabbits. One set of batteries should easy get you a 2-3 hours with flicking torch on and off like you do. Not sure what a good spottie goes for now, but I'd rather spend the money on a Maxtoch any day. Everyone I hunt with has long sold their spotlights and gone to Maxtoch.

+1 for the maxtoch. Brighter than my Powerbeam HID and a nice colour. Has the slight yellow tone like the halogens. Have had 2 friends see mine and went out and got one next day.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

i run them all. but am only using led now. this is my main goto light now https://www.hunternz.com/product-pag...-led-hand-held .also run his 25w and 2 10w one is rifle mounted .these are awesome value for money. have a box full of halogen and HID lights that dont get used and should move on

Maxtoch

Maxtoch...only question you should have, is which one.

Have had wired halogen and HID lights, and these are now obsolete. When the LED technology surpassed the HID for light on target, the HID lights got sold off.
    Since then, LED technology has just improved, so the latest maxtoch is more of a beast than the M24 shooter I started off with.

if you decide to go handheld LED then watch out for the pictured model. its a multi LED unit but has a very deep dished reflector.
    this is the one i have the most trouble with as the LED driver circuit lacks any heatsink and overheats (not repairable), The shallow dish units are ok though. I have a few of them myself. Name:  205435.jpg
Views: 1377
Size:  596.2 KB

I'd imagine any LED lamp in a plastic case will have serious heatsinking issues.
    All of the top end LED units I have seen, have alloy cases, and have the LED's with a direct thermal path to the alloy case.

the majority of led units have the drivers mounted on the alloy plate that also houses the LED's and have no issues, the pictured model has 2 driver units, both are sealed in heatshrink plastic and placed in the neck of the unit. they get hot quick and cant dissipate the heat anywhere.
    when it comes to the HID ones some had the inverter mounted in a nice alloy box with dissipating fins, some models used what i can only describe as a "sardine tin" full of silicone sealant, nowhere for the heat to go and the silicone actually stops the heat reaching the metal.
    I would say i have probably repaired 1200 lights so far of varying models. biggest issue is that each batch that comes into the country might appear the same externally but internally they change

Cheers team, sounds like maxtoch is the go, now the only question is which one, will do abit of research

Another vote for Maxtoch, I got the Shooter 2X with spare batteries, charger, scope/barrel mounts. It has completely replaced my handheld halogen spotlight with its heavy battery in a separate bag.

Have a look on the below NZ web site -- local guy with good knowledge, backup, advice etc ... also very good pricing and he's local. Have bought several lights off him and very impressed with the quality of the lights and the service provided.

https://www.piercingthedarkness.co.nz/