Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Svord Curved Skinner

Is it an option to buy without a sheath?
    Not that I would buy one except maybe a peasant knife for um .........er well.................. probably nothing.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

The sheath alone would put me off buying one.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    I've lost all respect for Svord , take a long look at that sheath and see if you can honestly tell me that you haven't as well .

Ken
    yeah its totally horrible

ive got a peasant knife I bought a few years ago now, sharpened it up real nice and went blunt skinning out a goat, so ended up reaching for the trusty bahco

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    you must be quite good with your hands then...for a farmer.
    It was the sheath I was mentioning, not the knife...I have one and no matter how badly it is treated it still serves me well.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    It was the sheath I was mentioning, not the knife...I have one and no matter how badly it is treated it still serves me well.
    I meant the sheath too

yep the sheath is rude to say the least here is my version of the skinner.its of south for xmas
    Name:  DSCF7670.JPG
Views: 3902
Size:  875.4 KB
    Bryan, HUNTY, kotuku and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by john worthington View Post
    yep the sheath is rude to say the least here is my version of the skinner.its of south for xmas
    Attachment 31581
    Very nice young man
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Hey John, never tried your stuff before but I may be tempted, can you let us all know what's in it, steel, wood and specs?

hi shelly its n690 steel hardened to 60 rockwell angico handle blade is 150mm long not sure of handle length it fits my big hand like a glove
    cheers john
    Smiddy likes this.

Nice, n690 is a primo steel. Different league to L6 and what not that Svord use.

I am aware of N690, its Austrian, the same company makes Elmax, of which I have a knife with that in it, and that's tuff! I understand N690 is similar to vg10, it's sometimes, maybe poorly, compared to 440c, either way though it stainless and not a carbon steel so you can't really compare it to Svords steel, apple to apples and all that.

But back to you John, if I was looking for a little fixed blade with a 2.5-3 inch blade with a slight downward curve and a sheeps foot point for use in the garden and brewery (cutting cable ties, pruning hops, chopping out weeds), and no guard, with a say 3.5 inch handle and little leather sheath, would that be something you would make?

hi shelley i will reply properly tomorrow been away fishing and hunting to tired tonight
    cheers John

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
    I am aware of N690, its Austrian, the same company makes Elmax, of which I have a knife with that in it, and that's tuff! I understand N690 is similar to vg10, it's sometimes, maybe poorly, compared to 440c, either way though it stainless and not a carbon steel so you can't really compare it to Svords steel, apple to apples and all that.

But back to you John, if I was looking for a little fixed blade with a 2.5-3 inch blade with a slight downward curve and a sheeps foot point for use in the garden and brewery (cutting cable ties, pruning hops, chopping out weeds), and no guard, with a say 3.5 inch handle and little leather sheath, would that be something you would make?
    I compare N690 with Svord steels (carbon and stainless) because its vastly superior and can be purchased in quality knives at a cheaper price. Viz, ENZO. I have one, and it makes Svord look like a rough joke.

EnZo Trapper Knives

Its N695 that has similar characteristics to 440C. N690 is superior to 695. I’ve used both on deer.

Vastly superior? Not sure, I'm partial to O1 but I think steel is just steel until it's tempered, and it's the skill of the tempering (quenching, annealing etc), which makes one blade, as opposed to all steel, superior, I find sweeping statements quickly become undone. Those Enzo's seem nice but not really my style, good price but.

I simply gauge steel and knife blades by whether they can butcher and bone a whole deer without touching, and whether they are damaged at the end of the job or not.

Like, dozens of knives and different steels and hundreds of animals. Unsophisticated, but.