Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Tent ($200-$500) recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by The bomb View Post
    Is the hooper a newerversion of the mongar?looks pretty decent for the coin..
    Got a link ?
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Got a link ?
    https://www.intentsoutdoors.co.nz/co...31700031340610

Ahhh "hopper" not "hooper" looks like a heavier more expensive version of the mongar 2 which is what I have, it's probably thicker silnylon which will make it stronger but also heavier. Same design as the mongar probably made by same manufacturer just different spec. All these tents are made in China the only difference is who you buy off and depending on the brand quality control and materials used.
    The benefit of buying from intents outdoors is you have someone local to deal with for service or Warranty issues but you pay for that privilege hence the hopper being $300+ and the mongar 2 only around $200 if and when my mongar shits itself I'd probably just buy another I've had a good run out of it.
    Andy7mm likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

+1 For a Mongar 2. We use ours often with 2 people. Combined we are shorter than dannyb but the tent offers reasonable room and has done us well so far for a budget tent.

Cheers heaps for the advice! Coming in at 6'3, a couple of the options were ruled out early. Have ended up going for a Kiwi Camping Weka 2. Was very close to going for the Mongar but decided to keep it local and give myself a warranty to fall back on just incase!

Has slightly better stats (on paper) than the Monger and got it for $299. Will be back to give a quick review on it in a week or two when I take it for a test run.
    tetawa, erniec, Micky Duck and 2 others like this.

I bought the kiwi camping pukeko 1 man couple years ago only used the fly most times but need more room now as the boy and dog are keen on tagging along now.
    Andy7mm likes this.

Has anyone bought a tent from Novapro NZ? Looking at their Illumina X 2 person tent. After a wee tent for quick overnight trips where I don’t want to lug the heavier tent in. They look the same as a naturehike cloud up 2 to me? 1.5kg and $260 seems like a good deal

At 6'3" don't get a Macpac mineret. It will be too short. They also fairly heavy at 2.4kg
    Sonicjoe likes this.

You could ring Craig at Southern Adventures in Invercargill on 03-2183239
    If you join at no cost as a V.I.P. you get 15% discount on almost all purchases and several times a year they do 25% of most items.
    Craig gets in MSR, Nemo and a range of other tents and always much cheaper than the Local H&F store etc

MAC
    Orson, lightweight version - Hopper 2 tent great tent for the price and weight

https://www.intentsoutdoors.co.nz/co...31700031340610

FINALLY got the chance to get out for a trip that required the use of a tent. The Kiwi Camping Weka 2 was brilliant for what we needed. Kept us and the packs 100% dry. Assembly and disassembly are super easy with the colour coded poles. Enough room for two 6'+ lads, so a good option for the bigger fullas.
    Micky Duck and yeah_na_missed like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RUMPY View Post
    At 6'3" don't get a Macpac mineret. It will be too short. They also fairly heavy at 2.4kg
    I second this comment! I'm 6'2", and can just stretch out. The angled vestibule also means it's really only a 1.5 person tent... or 1 person with room for all your kit beside you.

Other than that, bloody sturdy tent though! Had mine prob about 7-8 years and still going strong! Had a lot of use, and the first damage was a guy rope getting ripped off during this sleepless night in the Tararuas in November: https://youtube.com/shorts/gYidyeDq808?feature=share. Just plain stubbornness not to go into the hut!
    distant stalker and 20 Bore like this.
    bunji likes this.

I cannot give enough praise to the NatureHike Cloud up 3. Purchased from an NZ based retailer for $165 including a ground sheet.

We have just spent 9 days in fiordland with that and my much more expensive Big Agnes tent and I can hand on my heart say that taking cost out of it I’d rather the NatureHike. It is 400g heavier but has much more room and feels more durable. The zips and doors are user friendly and have a solid feel to them. It’s solid as in high winds and water tight so far.

Impressive tent for the price. With great weight to price ratio.

Cheers
    Eat Meater likes this.

When I was possum trapping I used in olympus. Lived in it for nearly a year with a couple Flys over the end, great tent.
    Not the lightest but man it can handle some weather
    Moa Hunter likes this.