Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Trekking Poles/Walking Sticks

I met a couple in the Tararuas who were carrying dried flax stalks- amazingly light and surprisingly strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    A proper mustering stick is a light manuka or Kanuka pole cut to a length so that the thumb knuckle of you grip hand is at the same height as your nipple when gripping the stick and standing up straight with stick in front. It is used in a way that it is a brace sidehilling and a shock absorber and brace going downhill. It needs to be strong and light but have a bit of spring.
    The basic grip is with the hand that is nearest the ground (hill) when sidehilling or descending faced palm down on the stick and the grip hand palm up, hands are placed about chest width and a bit apart. So for sidehilling a hill face on your left the grip is left hand palm down right hand palm faced up. Stick is poked into the hill ahead and you walk onto it. Down hill - same grip but stick to rear, lean back onto stick knees kept bent and run down the hill. For a river crossing the stick must always be faced upstream, that way the force of the water holds it on the bottom. Faced downstream and the water will kick it out.
    Place the stick a step or two ahead and walk until you can stop with a good footing and place the stick again.
    Thanks - lots of good sense. Appreciate the explanation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.
    What you see, is what you get!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WillB View Post
    I met a couple in the Tararuas who were carrying dried flax stalks- amazingly light and surprisingly strong.
    you prolly find they will be hard to plant in a decent wind if up high
    WillB likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by uk_exile View Post
    Got a link to the ones you brought?
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3277...27424c4dPSn9jy
    Seems these ones are no longer available but you should be able to find something similar. They cost $29.90 USD.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Thanks. I've borrow some pricy Black Diamond alloy poles from my son whenever I head out however Mrs is keen to get some so will get her carbon some jobbies from AliE
    Shearer likes this.

I got a pair of these Montem poles last year off Amazon. I've have used a few times but haven't really tested them with a heavy pack yet.

They do however seem sturdy and are lite enough for my hunting needs.

My only complaint so far is that the mud baskets are brittle - I broke / lost one on the second use (they are cheap to replace though).

https://www.amazon.com/Montem-Strong.../dp/B07K361V95

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    kiwijames likes this.

Yup love my manuka walking pole it's a real game changer for me for going up and down hill.
    Micky Duck and janleroux like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Thanks for all the info guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What you see, is what you get!

I bought a pair but only take 1. Great for crossing small rivers and scree slopes, it’s quiet handy to give a rock a prod before you step on it. Also It seems to help take the stress off knees etc. coming off a mountain with a load of meat. I know the prices vary a lot but I think if you pay between $50~$100 you’ll get something decent and dependable. A few 2nd hand ones come up on trademe also. Sheppard sticks are nice but the ability to strap your telescopic pole to your pack when you have your hands full or don’t need it is a bonus + they are super light.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Yup love my manuka walking pole it's a real game changer for me for going up and down hill.
    its amazing how much the dogs behave when you carry one too LOL. they work well to steady yourself for a shot in tall tussock too,the left hand/front hand grips forestock with thumb and forfinger and whats left hangs onto stick...so stick ISNT against stock but takes weight and stops it from moving up n down..
    or you can go all free n easy and grip stick and rest forestock across back of wrist...this possibly works best for you fella who sight in free recoil style.
    matagouri, Phil_H and dannyb like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    its amazing how much the dogs behave when you carry one too LOL. they work well to steady yourself for a shot in tall tussock too,the left hand/front hand grips forestock with thumb and forfinger and whats left hangs onto stick...so stick ISNT against stock but takes weight and stops it from moving up n down..
    or you can go all free n easy and grip stick and rest forestock across back of wrist...this possibly works best for you fella who sight in free recoil style.
    For a sitting shot the bottom of the mustering sticks goes into the instep of the right boot and the stick lays across the left thigh. Left elbow on left leg. Back of left hand / wrist on stick.
    janleroux and Jukes like this.