Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By No.3

Thread: UHF frequencies on NZ - HAM types on here?

UHF frequencies on NZ - HAM types on here?

Interesting little question I have re. UHF freq's in NZ - GURL for PRS is the 80 channels on the 476-477MHz band, all good. So - whats on the 433MHz band in NZ? This as far as I can tell is the Euro-spec LPD frequency and devices set to transmit on this apparently can't be sold in NZ?

Reason for question, Peltor distributors seem to be selling a headset with ambient listening, ability to connect to offboard comms, rechargeable battery as well as having it's own onboard low power UHF radio which is on the LPD433MHz Euro-spec frequency. I picked one of these up for next to nothing, surplus used once as a headset with ambient listening as well as a boom mic and headset capabilities to be hard-connected to a specific radio setup via a aviation-type accessory cord (so cord-connected to the radio's PTT accessory via an audio type plug). Works well in that capacity, and as I can't use the headset's onboard UHF radio as the rest of the radios are digitally encoded I've just deactivated the headset's radio capability. I'm just surprised that Peltor agents can advertise and sell them in NZ????

433mhz is like the 'household band' here in NZ. Garage door openers, some earlier 'smart' home devices, RC toys, Arduino and other DIY type modules.

I picked up some Peltors with ambient listening ear pro also, mine had inbuilt mic with 10 channels. Sold over the counter from 'Blackwoods Safety'. I asked around about the legality and the general consensus was 'all good' provided you don't increase the transmit power of the device

Name:  606e702552dfb6.30979839.jpeg
Views: 310
Size:  16.2 KB

https://nzsafetyblackwoods.co.nz/en/...f-each--436435

*edit - spelling and punctuation

Ahhh, yep same model of product but if yours has fewer channels it is likely to be the 'other version' that has the US-spec FRS frequencies in it (22 channels only + ctcss and DCS codes on 466MHz). The LPD Euro-spec has the 69 channels on 433MHz + CTCSS and DCS...

That would make sense though, garage door openers. I'll try turning the radio function back on and go through the channels saying "open please" and see if I get a response haha
    useraccounts likes this.

Mine is older superceeded model, no Bluetooth but on the 433mhz band, have saved channels on my wideband scanner in the truck. Just a 'LiteCom' not a LiteCom Plus'.

My old employer used them extensively as well. Good bit of kit with the ambient sound mode and Vox. worked well in Ship engine rooms whilst underway

Quote Originally Posted by useraccounts View Post
    Mine is older superceeded model, no Bluetooth but on the 433mhz band, have saved channels on my wideband scanner in the truck. Just a 'LiteCom' not a LiteCom Plus'.

My old employer used them extensively as well. Good bit of kit with the ambient sound mode and Vox. worked well in Ship engine rooms whilst underway
    Probably the same as the one I've picked up then. It's one of the few models Peltor does that has the external ambient sound transfer for voice conversations in noisy areas, boom mike for use with radios etc as well as an interchangeable comms connection with a generic easily-sourced plug type (mini XLR 4-pin) so you can set it up to work with whatever radios you run on the day. The standard Peltor fixed lead headsets are good right until you work across sites where the input/output connections are different on each type of radio each site runs (making up adapter leads for the generic Peltor Nexus connector is bloody expensive).

The only downside is not having the option of one without the radio component as it adds weight on your loaf, but it does balance out the weight of the battery pack even though it's not being used. I don't need bluetooth at this stage as none of the radios are fitted with it so no loss there. I see they do an option with all the fruit and where the radio is programmable so you could set it up for NZ PRS UHF frequencies, that would be nice but at $2600+ each not happening.

Probably the only thing I haven't worked out with it so far, is tricking the 6-wire PTT connections where you have a powered I/O pin that grounds to earth that tells the handset to change to PTT-mode. There is a way to do it, as you can get Peltor-factory supplied downleads to go directly from those model radios to the headset which allows the use of the left cup Aux-PTT button. When I feel like experimenting on someone elses radio I'll see what needs to be bridged in the back of the plug to make that work.