Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree183Likes

Thread: Ultralight Hunting Gear List

ebf
    @burtonator

interesting list.

what is your total base pack weight ? no water or food.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

what do you think about the tent? how does it perform in the wind/rain?

More pills and Powder!! burtonator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    @burtonator

interesting list.

what is your total base pack weight ? no water or food.
    Depending on summer or winter about 10kg
    veitnamcam and ebf like this.
    Life is the art of drawing without an eraser

Quote Originally Posted by Benj View Post
    what do you think about the tent? how does it perform in the wind/rain?
    Love the tent, extremely light. Bullet proof. Look up any reviews on it.
    Have had it out in some horrible weather and it’s been great. Only downfall is with the single wall tent you do get a bit of condensation on the walls so it needs to be well ventilated.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by burtonator View Post
    Well i have been on a bit of a mission over the last couple of years to lighten the load i carry so that i can walk further and enjoy walking up hills more!
    Im always looking for a better piece of kit so please let me know if you have something better.
    I figured that this may help some people out so hopefully it does that.
    most of this gear i have tried for a while now and it is standing the test of time so far.
    Biggest thing i wanted was the gear to last with going ultralight as i didn't want to be buying new gear each year.

I have gone from about 25kg for a 4-5 day mission to about 13kg

Pack hyperlite southwest 1150grams
    Tent zpacks Triplex 980grams
    Sleeping Mat xlite & Xtherm 350g & 475g
    Sleeping Bag zpacks & rab 680g & 1040g
    Sleeping Bag Liner rab 90g
    Pillow naturehike 85g
    Butt Matt naturehike 37g
    Boots la sportvia TRK 840g (pair)
    bladder platupus 2L 36g

Jacket Kuiu northridge 405g
    Puffer Macpac Uberlight 280g
    Kuiu lightweight pants 150g
    merino Top and Bottom 480g
    boxers per day 40g
    Kuiu peleton 200 hoodie 300g
    beanie 75g
    Gloves 85g
    Gaiters Kuiu 400g

Camera canon HS70 725g
    Aoka Tripod Carbonfibre 442g
    Headlight + Battery maxtoch 190g
    Battery Bank + 2 Batterys 150g
    Inreach 160g
    Iphone 8 + cord 185g

jetboil stash + Gas 200g & 380g
    lighter 21g
    Food per day 500g
    Titanium spork & cup 16g & 95g

toothbrush + paste
    Insulation Tape
    First Aid
    Rubbish Bag
    keys
    Wet Wipes + toilet paper All 340g

Other bits and pieces of clothing etc but you get the idea.

Whiskey 750g

Will be other stuff that i have forgotten.

Think you're about there. I went down the ultralight rabbit hole a while ago because I didn't want to blame the kit for not being able to drag my sorry arse up the next bluff. My list is quite similar to yours. I allow myself a pillow and piss bottle as luxury items. Use your imagination on the latter! Only thing I would add is go through your first aid kit and be realistic about what you're actually likely to use. Most people seem to carry far too much in the way of medical supplies.
    burtonator likes this.

Good well thought out list there I also went through a stage of trying to get everything as light as possible and for the most part have stuck with it but some items I have gone back the other way ie: pack, had several lightweight packs and whilst they were all ok carrying a 10 or 12kg base weight, throw 15 or 20kgs of meat at them and they just don't go well on a long haul out. May be other better options than the ones I tried (Sitka, Stone Glacier Evo, Mystery Ranch, Exped Lightning) funny enough of the four the Exped was by far the most comfortable and felt the most sturdy loaded up, it was also the cheapest by far and the only one not directly marketed towards hunters. Now run a cactus Hector and what it loses by being heavier it more than makes up by being super comfy and 120% bombproof.
    Single best investment and best bang for buck bar nothing was the switch to the La Sportiva Trango TRK GTX boots, huge difference with lightweight boots.
    I also don't bother with tent anymore and just rock a siltarp and haven't found it too much of a handicap even in the wet or wind etc.
    I think there's give and take with a lot of this sort of stuff ie the pack it's way heavier than my earlier packs but comfort at the end of a long day far outstrips the weight savings of a lighter pack, taking 500grams off your boots is like taking 5kg off your back, using a trekking pole gives the same sort of benefit etc etc. It's always interesting seeing what people have in their kit though I'll sit and watch pack dumps on YouTube for hours!
    I think guys shouldn't get too hung up on the hunting brand stuff also as there is plenty of good options out there when it comes to clothing that are just as good or better and most times a lot easier on the pocket, I don't think I've got any "hunting brand" stuff left in my kit actually although one thing I did think was bloody awesome was the Kuiu superdown jacket, it seems to employ some kind of magic witchcraft or something to provide so much warmth for such a lightweight and packable down jacket, unfortunately I bought mine about three years ago and it was getting a bit tight (I must be still growing or something...) So recently moved it on.
    Best bit of clothing I have is a Macpac lightweight merino hoody, can wear it from freezing cold right through a warm afternoon and it's just super comfortable the entire time, it's also super light and compact to pack away, kind of like a go between a base layer and a mid layer.
    burtonator, Kudu, Dreamer and 7 others like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

The Original Striker
    just on a slightweight side note, has any one used 1.0mm or 1.5mm dyneema for their flys?

https://chainsropesandanchors.co.nz/Rope-Cordage
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

I haven't used any but this stuff looks pretty handy.

https://chainsropesandanchors.co.nz/...ound75-Dyneema

I have had the same one for a while and have had no complaints.

I use 1.3mm dyneema cord with my siltarp, it's good. You can pair it with Lineloc V Guy Line Adjusters and it makes for a very practical setup and adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Good well thought out list there I also went through a stage of trying to get everything as light as possible and for the most part have stuck with it but some items I have gone back the other way ie: pack, had several lightweight packs and whilst they were all ok carrying a 10 or 12kg base weight, throw 15 or 20kgs of meat at them and they just don't go well on a long haul out. May be other better options than the ones I tried (Sitka, Stone Glacier Evo, Mystery Ranch, Exped Lightning) funny enough of the four the Exped was by far the most comfortable and felt the most sturdy loaded up, it was also the cheapest by far and the only one not directly marketed towards hunters. Now run a cactus Hector and what it loses by being heavier it more than makes up by being super comfy and 120% bombproof.
    Single best investment and best bang for buck bar nothing was the switch to the La Sportiva Trango TRK GTX boots, huge difference with lightweight boots.
    I also don't bother with tent anymore and just rock a siltarp and haven't found it too much of a handicap even in the wet or wind etc.
    I think there's give and take with a lot of this sort of stuff ie the pack it's way heavier than my earlier packs but comfort at the end of a long day far outstrips the weight savings of a lighter pack, taking 500grams off your boots is like taking 5kg off your back, using a trekking pole gives the same sort of benefit etc etc. It's always interesting seeing what people have in their kit though I'll sit and watch pack dumps on YouTube for hours!
    I think guys shouldn't get too hung up on the hunting brand stuff also as there is plenty of good options out there when it comes to clothing that are just as good or better and most times a lot easier on the pocket, I don't think I've got any "hunting brand" stuff left in my kit actually although one thing I did think was bloody awesome was the Kuiu superdown jacket, it seems to employ some kind of magic witchcraft or something to provide so much warmth for such a lightweight and packable down jacket, unfortunately I bought mine about three years ago and it was getting a bit tight (I must be still growing or something...) So recently moved it on.
    Best bit of clothing I have is a Macpac lightweight merino hoody, can wear it from freezing cold right through a warm afternoon and it's just super comfortable the entire time, it's also super light and compact to pack away, kind of like a go between a base layer and a mid layer.
    @Ryan_Songhurst have you had a look at the hyperlite packs?
    I also had one of the exped lightning packs and these hyperlite packs are amazing. I have had 30kg+ in mine and it’s handled it no worries

@Ryan_Songhurst have you had a look at the hyperlite packs?
    I also had one of the exped lightning packs and these hyperlite packs are amazing. I have had 30kg+ in mine and it’s handled it no worries
    I also have a hyperlight southwest a great wee pack - I lost a lot of weight over lockdown and found the straps to cut in a fair bit so have added wider shoulder straps I got from cactus outdoor and reckon they will make a lot of difference. Will find out over Queens Bday weekend.

I have a canvas meat bag that comes with shoulder straps which I kind of incorporate/clip/tie onto the top of my pack when packing out and it seems to work ok - huntech made it I think have had it for years. It can double as a day bag if I want - like a Pikau tying off at the top.

https://podcasts.apple.com/nz/podcas...=1000419546095

I thought this podcast on ultra light backpack hunting in the US was pretty interesting - one of the guys recommended the La Sportiva Trango Cube boots and they are big on merino base layers.

Soles came away on my Meindhal's stuffing up my last trip - so will have to have a look at these Sportiva !

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Have you ever had a tally up of cost of your kit?

Also interested in sleaping bags and mats...due for a new bag and a mat that doesnt take up so much room in my pack (old school budget thermarest self inflating.)
    Hey mate,
    I have been doing a lot of research on bags and found this great company in poland who makes bags. Compared to NZ prices and the weight and quality of the bags it is very competitive. I have pulled the trigger on a panyam 600 weighing in at 970g and limit comfort to -13. This compares with the RAB bag and in my eyes better than the Domex Halo as it is lighter, warmer and more waterproof with pertex outer.

https://cumulus.equipment/intl_en/do...anyam-600.html

cheers
    veitnamcam and Gkp like this.

Gkp
    Quote Originally Posted by EFriz View Post
    Hey mate,
    I have been doing a lot of research on bags and found this great company in poland who makes bags. Compared to NZ prices and the weight and quality of the bags it is very competitive. I have pulled the trigger on a panyam 600 weighing in at 970g and limit comfort to -13. This compares with the RAB bag and in my eyes better than the Domex Halo as it is lighter, warmer and more waterproof with pertex outer.

cheers
    Nice one. Give us a quick review once you have test it out.
    Cheers G

Quote Originally Posted by EFriz View Post
    Hey mate,

cheers
    Looks good enough to me, just purchased one as well