Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Waterproof Jacket - Ridgeline Monsoon vs Swazi Tahr/Kagoule

Am think am going to buy one off these to replace my swazi thar, agree with above commits. When the thar gets wet it gets heavy and hard to dry also need a jacket with full front zip because of shoulder injury.
    The huntech are lighter then the thar also.
    Huntech Tussock on special $350 depending on colour
    https://huntechoutdoors.com/product/...sock-jacket-2/
    Yes if i had more money i would be buying a Cactus or if if cactus were cheaper

MB
    As unlikely as it sounds, there are lots of good reviews on this forum about the Hunter's Element Halo. I recently spent half a day in the rain wearing one on a boat and remained dry. Not breathable, but I think we understand now that breathable, waterproof clothing is a myth.
    McNotty, RV1 and TimC like this.

Had the Swazi Kagoule. Really liked it. Quality build, excellent hood and wrist seals. Performed really well in the tops and in the bush hunting with the quieter outer fabric. But, like any make of rain jacket, bush bashing resulted in tiny micro holes, and eventually it would let in the wet. I now use a Swazi Rifleman, much smaller and lighter, and use it in the bush when it's really wet - and accept I'll need to replace it sooner. I think this is the thing to be aware of. If you are going to use any rain jacket in the tight, it's gonna eventually get holes in it. If your dedicated tops hunting, then probably not so much of an issue.
    "Death - our community's number one killer"

Quote Originally Posted by omark View Post
    I’ve forgiven him and have moved on…….
    Suppose you like horse face now too.....
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

I still have my original Swazi Thar anorak and just sent to back to get the seam sealing done again. A robust and warm jacket that has become my ute jacket. I have also met Davvy Hughes the owner and he is a good guy and hard worker. He supports hunters.

On a side note to comments, I also met Jacinda at work for a function for apprentices and she was great with all the young staff and the trainers. She took time to talk with every one and made the media wait to have lunch with the team and they all got selfies. Definitely genuine.

Back to the jackets again, I have been using the HE Halo lately and just back from 3 days on the Ruahine tops where it was nice to have a light jacket in the pack for evening and morning glassing. Time will tell how long it lasts.
    Sika 8 likes this.

Its a thread about a jacket, go and argue with each other about politics of facebook
    16Tontovarish and Sika 8 like this.
    Pack out heavy

I have both the swazi thar anorak and the huntech tussock anorak.
    I prefer the huntech over the swazi if I know I’ll be getting heavy rain,or walking through wet bush all day,the huntech doesn’t absorb the water as much as the swazi,which makes it a lot easier to dry in the hut at night.
    Can’t comment on the ridgeline, but my pick is huntech if I only have to have one.
    bigbear likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    If you're looking at spending decent amount of coin (Tahr XP currently around $520?) You should seriously consider a cactus rain jacket. Bomb proof and 100% waterproof and breathable, or if you want something slightly lighter (but not quite as tough) its hard to go past a Earth Sea Sky Hydrophobia. I have a few Swazi Tahr's and they are nothing more than a decent windproof layer really, the waterproofing lasts about 2hrs from.new and after that they just soak up water and take ages to dry out.
    Dude called Tahr commented a while back about the best rainproof coat being one that cow cockies use aka Technidairy. Brilliant when with leggings when you hunting in inclement weather all night including rain as some deer surprisingly do feed in rain.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    Dude called Tahr commented a while back about the best rainproof coat being one that cow cockies use aka Technidairy. Brilliant when with leggings when you hunting in inclement weather all night including rain as some deer surprisingly do feed in rain.
    They're good if you're just sitting on a bike following some cows (or hunting in this case) definitely 100% waterproof the problem is you just cook in them as soon as you exert yourself, even gutting a deer you'd end up a steamy mess. When we were self employed we got a good run out of Kaiwaka gear for staff, I wouldn't use them as a hunting jacket though as they're heavy as. Farm owner where we are now bought everyone Cactus jackets and they're bloody awesome. He did say "I'm sick of buying everyone $400-$500 kaiwaka/stoney creek jackets twice a year so don't ask for another one!"
    BRADS, bigbear, dannyb and 1 others like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

@Ryan_Songhurst you must have a good boss I agree Kaiwaka gear is good sitting on a bike but any active roll its to heavy and hot. My boss is tight, real tight 5 years out off my Kaiwaka jacket and leggings.

Quote Originally Posted by Chur Bay View Post
    I picked up one of these last week - they are certainly warm when zipped up so I'd imgine it will be better for sitting and glassing but at that price I got a lighter British DPM jacket and both of them together were less than 250
    Note the French jacket has a huge hood, presumably to go over a helmet
    Long enough to cover the shorts

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    They're good if you're just sitting on a bike following some cows (or hunting in this case) definitely 100% waterproof the problem is you just cook in them as soon as you exert yourself, even gutting a deer you'd end up a steamy mess. When we were self employed we got a good run out of Kaiwaka gear for staff, I wouldn't use them as a hunting jacket though as they're heavy as. Farm owner where we are now bought everyone Cactus jackets and they're bloody awesome. He did say "I'm sick of buying everyone $400-$500 kaiwaka/stoney creek jackets twice a year so don't ask for another one!"
    Tried to tell ya 3 years ago

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk