Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: What head torch are people using?

I mainly use something like these. There are various models that look the same in the photos and it can be a bit of a lottery which you get, so I ask questions first and get a refund if they don't supply as requested. Some are moulded plastic reflectors, some are spun or pressed aluminium and some are machined aluminium. The machined aluminium are the ones I like for a thrower.

This is what they look like on the outside, ask before buying.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Supe...ceBeautifyAB=0
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Been debating the SEO7R or similar but they seem to chew thru batteries very fast? 4-5 hrs for the rechargeable battery pack is what is stated. That seems way too short if you are in the bush for a few days or week or so. Interested in real world experience of these or similar.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/type...ceBeautifyAB=0

I have this one. It does the trick for me. I initially used one like gadgetman recommends but it takes up so much space having two batteries and a separate battery pack so I bought the current model. When you have a 2 battery one you need at least 2 spare batteries as well which gets away from being any description of compact- and uncomfortable to have in a chest pocket etc. Just my opinion on it all

Shearer likes this.

Beware Chinese lumens. I think they are smaller than western ones.
    Beetroot and ROKTOY like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

mkm
    I got a coupe of armytek wizards when they were on special and offering free shipping.

https://www.armytek.com/products/fla...rmytek-wizard/

Great battery life and pretty good for kicking around camp but just a little underwhelming with the amount of light they throw even on full beam (its gets pretty dark out past 70 m IMO) and how they sit on your head. Will look for something different next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Beware Chinese lumens. I think they are smaller than western ones.
    Just like battery capacity, a Chinese milli amp is only worth 10% of a western one.
    Shearer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    Just like battery capacity, a Chinese milli amp is only worth 10% of a western one.
    same conversion rate as the yen I believe

Quote Originally Posted by MightyBoosh View Post
    Sorry to thread hijack, but are you guys using the head torch to spot rabbits, or whatever and then using the head torch to light up the quarry for your scope? Does that work well?
    I find a head torch can be great for spotlighting (provided it gives off a tight enough beam), being at eye heightpossum/rabbit eyes are easy to pick up, only issue I find is I cant look through a scope and still be spotting with my head torch, my mate can do it perfectly just twisting the light on his head but I cant, so generally use a torch for spot lighting.

You can always use a rifle mounted torch for the actual shooting.
    6x47 likes this.

The Maxtoch seems to be popular as does the Lenser SE07r.

May have to try one of each, the SEO7r looks like it'd be perfect for the missus.

R93
    The Spark with the extended range lens is buy far the best head torch I have owned.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

MB
    I find a head torch can be great for spotlighting (provided it gives off a tight enough beam), being at eye heightpossum/rabbit eyes are easy to pick up, only issue I find is I cant look through a scope and still be spotting with my head torch, my mate can do it perfectly just twisting the light on his head but I cant, so generally use a torch for spot lighting.

You can always use a rifle mounted torch for the actual shooting.

Thanks. Something in the back of my mind told me it wasn't that simple. I'm still trying to work out a system for rabbit shooting at night - alone, on rough/overgrown ground with standing shooting sticks. I've been using a rifle-mounted torch for some time which is OK, but it's not ideal for my situation for a couple of reasons. Going to try a separate hand held torch in addition to the rifle-mounted torch

Quote Originally Posted by MightyBoosh View Post
    Thanks. Something in the back of my mind told me it wasn't that simple. I'm still trying to work out a system for rabbit shooting at night - alone, on rough/overgrown ground with standing shooting sticks. I've been using a rifle-mounted torch for some time which is OK, but it's not ideal for my situation for a couple of reasons. Going to try a separate hand held torch in addition to the rifle-mounted torch
    That's the way to go..

Our setup, developed over a couple years roo shooting, primarily in steepish tussock country.
    - Headlamp just for nav, watching your footing etc. Turn off or aim at the sky when you look through the rifle.
    - Hand-held spotting torch (maxtoch) on lanyard around your neck. If shooting in pairs or a group, can spot for each-other, otherwise just drop it on the lanyard to ready the rifle with...
    - Scope mounted torch. Another Maxtoch or a Convoy C8 (convoy perfect for rabbit ranges with .22). Switch on only when you've seen something with the hand-held and brought the rifle up.
    gadgetman, 308 and MB like this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    I have both Zebralight and Armytek. The Armytek Wizard has tailcap charger and aesthetically is nicer. The Zebralight kicks it’s ass though for grunt and is my EDC.
    308 likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Both the missus and I require new head torches, I currently have a Led Lenser H14 and she a H7, they are both pretty old and had a hard life and am a bit sick of using AA and AAA batteries.
    Would ideally like something that runs of 18650 batteries that are removable, but can also be charged in the light by USB etc.

I use mine a lot for spot lighting do a tight beam is a must, I like that the H14 can be focused.
    The missus really just needs a good flood option, and she finds my H14 to big and heavy so doesn't need something that big.

The Maxtoch torch seems to be the preferred option for a torch and I see that there is now a head torch they make, anyone using one?
    Google searches are showing the Fenix HL60R and Nitecore HC60 as being popular, but all thr above options seem to be pretty big and heavy, so more a replacement for my H14.

Any advice is appreciated.
    Cheers
    Led lenser mh10 seem like it would fit what your after. Mine has had a fair amount of abuse as being a farmer mine gets used most days on farm aswell as Possum & duck shooting and in the bush. I've had it for a year and no complaints so far!