Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: What Sling?

I have a Slogan Outdoors Sling and its AWESOME!!!

Product at Slogan Outdoors Slings. The Original Rubber Slings. As seen on TV
    HarryMax likes this.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

being a proverbial tightarse ive developed a habit of poking round the sallies stores etcetc -always ladies bags cheap(good source of leather for pouches etc ,and boxes of belts-leather again .a few of these and a bit of thought yields a pretty uselfulsling for SFA.I use that fishing braid for thread too-using some 30lb stuff at present -very rugged.
    old seatbelts --yup useful for slings belts straps. In CHCH -the ECO centre -got an old wetsuit for $3.00-made me some natty neoprene scope covers.
    Cordite and NO4 like this.

LOC
    agreed. have had one for about 10 years and so has my brother. seriously comfortable, light and it sticks to your shoulder like glue

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    cambo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mopheadrob View Post
    Sharing cos I thought you fellow DIYers / lifehackers might like this. Those z-aim slings look like they would solve my problems, but don't look too high-tech... I took another look at my sling and reckoned it wouldn't take much to convert it. I pulled off the stupid rubber bit @FatLabrador and used the webbing to attach an old webbing buckle I'd kept for a rainy day. Another bit of webbing I found had a ladder-lock attached, so I didn't even need to bust out the wife's sewing machine. Job's a good'n

Attachment 94020
    I just went for a walk with my rifle and used trekking sticks for the first time, the sticks were great but the clip I bought to hold my rifle sling on my shoulder was a complete fail. I remembered this thread and think this is what I need. Cheers and thanks you bunch of clever people.
    mopheadrob likes this.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    Never use a sling but have an old one in my pouch for the day I do need one.
    agree with ya on that mate - I carry an Uncle Mikes Mountain sling in my day bag in case I need one on quad etc but otherwise never use one - when I was culling none of us used slings - we all carried our rifles as if we meant to use it - how many on here have had deer gallop of because just to slow getting rifle of shoulder
    tetawa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Best sling I have ever used and I use on all my rifles now is the chinese milsurp heavy canvas jobs, simple, strong and surprisingly comfortable
    Same here. Get them from guncity for $10

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    being a proverbial tightarse ive developed a habit of poking round the sallies stores etcetc -always ladies bags cheap(good source of leather for pouches etc ,and boxes of belts-leather again .a few of these and a bit of thought yields a pretty uselfulsling for SFA.I use that fishing braid for thread too-using some 30lb stuff at present -very rugged.
    old seatbelts --yup useful for slings belts straps. In CHCH -the ECO centre -got an old wetsuit for $3.00-made me some natty neoprene scope covers.
    Thats a good idea

LOC
    Noticed I posted on this thread about 4 years ago

Since then have moved on to a Blue Force Gear sling from Twinneedle. It’s really light, with a strip of grippy rubber running its length and has a super easy buckle to adjust length with one hand that also doubles as a comfy handle about chest height to hold on to if you walk holding the strap like I do. Worth checking out
    2post likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LOC View Post
    Noticed I posted on this thread about 4 years ago

Since then have moved on to a Blue Force Gear sling from Twinneedle. It’s really light, with a strip of grippy rubber running its length and has a super easy buckle to adjust length with one hand that also doubles as a comfy handle about chest height to hold on to if you walk holding the strap like I do. Worth checking out
    I’ve only just put a sling on this rifle because I wanted to use trekking poles, I’ve always been comfortable carrying my rifle. But now I have the issue of it falling off my shoulder. Some of the places we hunt are very steep so being able to shoulder the rifle to use both hands is very useful.
    I’m interested in something to hold the sling on my shoulder while walking in and out, the last hunt was just a short day trip so I only had my small bush back pack. If it’s a multi day hunt I could strap it to my big pack.
    LOC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Niggolah (think that's the correct spelling) are very good. They have a grip surface and as well there is just the right amount of elastic stretch and spring so that the rifle won't bounce on your shoulder when running or moving fast. The elastic stretch cushions any bounce and combined with the grip the rifle just sits on your shoulder. I doubt there is a better sling.
    I’m another Niggolah fan. I have several and rate them. Nothing on them will rub and damage the rifle, anti slip and they also make one with a quick release if you have permanently attached sling swivels. These are very clever design. Germans may not have won the war but they make same good stuff!!
    dannyb, 2post and sore head stoat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    Niggeloh, and yes they are very good
    Another vote for the Niggeloh, Not the cheapest out there but the best sling I own by far.
    dannyb likes this.
    ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers, Zero air Zero waste

Howdy folks, I've done many many miles using slings - here's my 5 cents. (I'm not endorsing any of these retailers - just trying to help folks to see them quickly via hyperlinks - shop around for the best prices).

Don't buy a Niggeloh (if you're using it alot). "Achilles heel" is the hard fabric webbing stitched on to the neoprene - dunno what rocket scientist thought that'd be a good idea the hard flex point onto soft neoprene soon wears it through - not ideal for an item costing the thick end of a hundred notes!!! Some folks may want to spend the coin and for small excursions they're fine - otherwise they'll let you down eventually unless of course they have fixed this design fault?
    Name:  Niggeloh sling.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  5.42 MB

Spika - better than Niggeloh and almost half the price without the crazy design fault. https://www.guncity.com/the-outdoor-...e-sling-369155
    Name:  Spika sling.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  4.99 MB

Outdoor connection Razor sling - bullet proof super comfy sling that after years of use is still the same as when I bought it. NZ Asia brings them in and distributes in NZ. https://www.guncity.com/the-outdoor-...e-sling-369155
    Name:  Outdoor connection razor sling.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  6.66 MB

If you must have neoprene for comfort and want the cheapest - good ol' Ali Express has a Niggeloh knock off (once again - without the same design fault - webbing still stitched at the same spot but not as hard) https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...5a8d1802Pb69We

Hope this is of some help to folks out there - as mentioned - just my five cents.
    And hey - don't make a habit of using it too much - if rifle is on shoulder you may miss a chance. I carried string in pouch for years to attach and use while climbing or other times when I needed to be hands free and that was also fine - horses for courses eh!
    Strummer likes this.

Hope this is of some help to folks out there - as mentioned - just my five cents.
    And hey - don't make a habit of using it too much - if rifle is on shoulder you may miss a chance. I carried string in pouch for years to attach and use while climbing or other times when I needed to be hands free and that was also fine - horses for courses eh!

No firearm shall be discharged:
    In the vicinity of huts, tracks, campsites, road-ends or other public places.