Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Who wears glasses?

Have a look at Contact Lenses, Designer Eyeglasses, Sunglasses & More | Clearly.co.nz™ handy for getting cheapo specs and contacts. Can get them cheap enough to have specs for certain things like outdoors stuff. You need to have your full prescription info. No connection to them

pnly for eading and computer work...looked at strength when got them fitted and shot around to supermarket and bought elcheapho pair for in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    I have same astig bull shit thingy ...Its a bastard....Born with it and undiscovered for 30 years till the headaches got too bad to leave a darkened room after becoming an office shirking person .. Shows how much attention schools used to take.. Still managed to get 6 subject SC lowest mark 79 out of the 6 Fogged up climbing hills , lose glasses , break glasses, need glasses plus sun glasses then it gets dark SO NEED GLASSES AGAIN FFS...I hate it..need side focus on scopes. Laser surgery bit scary ... Been considering it though ..
    Says the man that owns a Blaser! Now that's scary
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Age has reduced me from good vision to progressive glasses. I flip them up to use the binos...just cant imagine how guys glass with their specs on.

I used glasses for a year then got contacts as pain in the arse with rain and what not. Got reusable contacts and when out hunting/tramping I can leave them in for at least two days and longest Iv had is 3 days. Just take them out and rest my eyes over night and put them back in with a wee make up mirror I nicked from somewhere. Can also get contacts that last for a month without having to take them out which sound great.

Also the site plinky posted is great, much cheaper than other places and prompt shipping.

Ive worn glasses and also conact lenses since I was 15 as I am very shortsighted.

Generally I swap back and forth between between glasses and contacts (daily disposables now) depending on what I am doing. Contacts are easy to install now after 30 years of practice.

BUT now I am of an age where I am beginning to need arm extensions
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    I wear specs for driving but that is about it.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by lumberjack View Post
    I used glasses for a year then got contacts as pain in the arse with rain and what not. Got reusable contacts and when out hunting/tramping I can leave them in for at least two days and longest Iv had is 3 days. Just take them out and rest my eyes over night and put them back in with a wee make up mirror I nicked from somewhere. Can also get contacts that last for a month without having to take them out which sound great.
    I used to wear monthly disposables, put em in at start of month and out at the end, fantastic.

Bloody nearly cost me my eyesight. Corneal ulcers in both eyes. Turns out they are not as good as they were cracked up to be and opticians no longer recommend them
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

31 years wearing them.
    Frame design plays a huge part in the fogging and being able to shoot etc.
    My last pair were a total fuck up, couldn't play pool as when leaning over I ended up looking over the top and couldn't see Shit. Don't really know how I screwed up the selection....

For the anti fog, a little bit of soap when you clean them (wipe your finger on bar or a drop of liquid, then smudge it on, then polish) is a quick fix that lasts a bit - until you clean them or get wet.

After a while you won't notice a few drops sitting on them, but I remember cleaning them every hour as soon a dot of dust got them..... Now I sometimes shock my self when I clean them, it feels like new lenses.
    If I was younger, with the tech that's now available, I'd do the laser.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

I wear them for reading etc. slowly getting worse. Have approx 8-10 pair of $2 ones scattered around. At the fire station in the truck and van, gold gear and overalls. Take them hunting and leave good ones at home. Holding off for a few more years before getting laser so it lasts longer into retirement
    6x47 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    I used to wear monthly disposables, put em in at start of month and out at the end, fantastic.

Bloody nearly cost me my eyesight. Corneal ulcers in both eyes. Turns out they are not as good as they were cracked up to be and opticians no longer recommend them
    Shit maybe I wont get them then

Quote Originally Posted by lumberjack View Post
    Shit maybe I wont get them then
    Daily disposables on the other hand are bloody magic,

Read this, cause if I can save one person from going thru what I did then it will be worth it.

Contact lenses are medical devices and soft contacts tend to be packaged in small sterilised containers filled with fluid, which over time (hence the expiration date) can become contaminated. The biggest cause of infection, however, is overnight wear, says Professor Roger Buckley, associate director of the Vision and Eye Research Unit at Anglia Ruskin University. Sleeping with your lenses in raises the risk of corneal infection twentyfold. The cornea is starved of oxygen when lenses are in and eyelids closed, making it less effective as a barrier for keeping out germs. The overall risk is still small (3.5 per 10,000 people wearing daily soft lenses), but keratitis is painful, can make your eyes weep and causes blindness. So should contact lenses be treated with more respect?
    from this website http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...contact-lenses
    Last edited by mikee; 25-05-2016 at 10:14 PM.
    lumberjack likes this.

Going to have to get specsavers to email out my preecription and get disposals for being out and about, and pick up a couple of decent caps.

Had glasses from 10 hated them but amazing what you get used to.
    Contacts at 20 got easier as they became cheaper and more readily available.
    You then had ready access to spares but putting them in first thing in the morning with aid of a torch not much fun.
    Struggled with wearing lens long periods.
    Got eyes lasered at 39 when satisfied the process would be ok and last.
    But started to suffer from long longsightedness when about 53 which they warned me about.
    Use reading glasses at home and progressive safety glasses at work.
    I understand you can now get one eye lasered to avoid this.
    But I have found it good but recently have had to change a scope but can hunt without glasses.
    But do use cheap $2 shop ones to check map and GPS.
    I would if you are able to get the latest laser done as it is good.
    Dollar wise when I got mine done the cost was 6 years of contacts/solutions and the odd pair of glasses so it stacked up for me.