Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Sarvo


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
Results 91 to 105 of 105
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Who wears glasses?

  1. #91
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    149
    Wore glasses for many years - got them when I was 21 and was amazed that trees had leaves.

    Got my eyes lasered in 2000 and it was the single best thing I've ever spent money on...

    Edit: I got my eyes done by the top guy in SA at the time. If you going to play with something like eyes, you best go straight to the guy that they would send you to if anything went wrong.

    My long distance vision is pinpoint 21 years later (had my eyes checked a week ago, so still current!) but now have to wear age related reading glasses for close up stuff.
    Cordite likes this.

  2. #92
    I hunt, therefore I am.
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Tai Tokerau
    Posts
    4,528
    Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    my last pair lasted 19 years just got new prescription today, feels like i am looking through a magnifying glass and they said my eyes had barely changed in that time.
    Well I'll just pop down for a visit and you can take me to your optometrist eh

    Glasses brand? Store?
    Quote Originally Posted by 308
    not smart enough to be useful
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

  3. #93
    I hunt, therefore I am.
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Tai Tokerau
    Posts
    4,528
    Quote Originally Posted by davetapson View Post
    Wore glasses for many years - got them when I was 21 and was amazed that trees had leaves.

    Got my eyes lasered in 2000 and it was the single best thing I've ever spent money on...

    Edit: I got my eyes done by the top guy in SA at the time. If you going to play with something like eyes, you best go straight to the guy that they would send you to if anything went wrong.

    My long distance vision is pinpoint 21 years later (had my eyes checked a week ago, so still current!) but now have to wear age related reading glasses for close up stuff.
    Yep. I get that. I'll have another eye test, I think mine have been reasonably stable for 10+ years.

    There's a couple of laser methods, last time I read up about it. One was a more mature technology, but had longer healing time... but I suppose they're getting pretty well practiced at it now.
    I know a couple of people had it done in the early years and it was multiple visits back (5-10 years apart) to fix/ redo the thing. I think in the end one fulla ended up with pig corneas grafted in or something!
    Quote Originally Posted by 308
    not smart enough to be useful
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

  4. #94
    The Original Striker
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    waikato
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Yep. I get that. I'll have another eye test, I think mine have been reasonably stable for 10+ years.

    There's a couple of laser methods, last time I read up about it. One was a more mature technology, but had longer healing time... but I suppose they're getting pretty well practiced at it now.
    I know a couple of people had it done in the early years and it was multiple visits back (5-10 years apart) to fix/ redo the thing. I think in the end one fulla ended up with pig corneas grafted in or something!
    thats prob PRK, the old method, melt the epithilum off with alcohol, still used for thin corneas etc
    Blade free lasik is the new way these days. really weird seeing the laser change the surface of your eye
    our internal lenses can only compensate so much, they begin to harden with age and the focusing muscles begin to weaken.
    some are lucky for one correction and good, others not so much.
    Last edited by striker; 04-05-2021 at 04:37 PM.
    mimms2 likes this.
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

    The Original Striker

  5. #95
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    southland
    Posts
    4,776
    Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Well I'll just pop down for a visit and you can take me to your optometrist eh

    Glasses brand? Store?
    martin and lobb . reebook i think for the old frames . new frames are cat , hope they better than the excavators.

  6. #96
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    There's a couple of laser methods, last time I read up about it.
    Yeah, there's a longer story to mine. My brother had really bad eyesight and was enquiring about PRK back in the day. The eye guy told him to wait for this new thing called LASIK and that he would give him a shout when he thought the technology was advanced enough. I suppose 1998 or so he gave my brother a call and said 'right, come have it done' and so he did, and was delighted. Told me about it, and I had it done a few years later - the technology had moved since and I imagine that it's a whole number of generations down the line by now.

  7. #97
    Member Micky Duck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Geraldine
    Posts
    8,980
    in last year Ive noticed the decline..reading without them is an effort now..my arms just arent long enough,would hate to try n pop zit in mirror as when close enough to mirror to have detail..im too close to focus LOL
    will need to carry pair full time very soon.

  8. #98
    Load....Action....Instant ....Watch and Shoot! ishoot10s's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    NW of the true capital...
    Posts
    1,674
    I’m halfway through Intraoccular lens replacement. Had my left done last Wednesday and my right gets done tomorrow. At nearly 60, I’ve been wearing contacts for 35 years correcting astigmatism in both eyes and very shortsighted. Not a good candidate for LASIK as it may not last. IOL a much better solution for me, it’s basically a cataract op without me having cataracts and will see me out. They’ve gone into my eye and chopped up my lens and sucked it out and put in a implant. I’m 20/20 in the left eye now and can use the PC without reading glasses. Still need reading glasses for very close work. The implant is designed to give a range of excellent distance to intermediate vision and it certainly delivers, can’t wait for tomorrow. Not cheap though, 7 grand a side. Would have been on insurance if I actually had cataracts.
    striker, berg243 and Cordite like this.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

  9. #99
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    in last year Ive noticed the decline..reading without them is an effort now..my arms just arent long enough,would hate to try n pop zit in mirror as when close enough to mirror to have detail..im too close to focus LOL
    will need to carry pair full time very soon.
    They said to me 45 yo is where it happens - give or take.
    Cordite likes this.

  10. #100
    I hunt, therefore I am.
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Tai Tokerau
    Posts
    4,528
    Orright. Did the regular eye exam, but now there's a special $150 one for getting measured for contact lenses... Clearly I'm in the wrong line of crime and should have trained as an optician!

    But apparently contacts are now available for astigmatism, so I'm a candidate. I'll still be getting new glasses for general stuff, and I hate the idea of an ongoing cost, and ongoing waste with contacts, but seems a handy option to have for when glasses are a pain in the ass.

    Anyone using contacts (since thread started in 2016)? Daily, Fortnightly, Monthly? I'd be thinking to get monthlys and just use them on occasion...anyone would think I was scottish, eh.
    Quote Originally Posted by 308
    not smart enough to be useful
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

  11. #101
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    149
    When I investigated contacts for astigmatism they told me that they orient themselves by being heavier at the bottom. If you tilt your head sideways, the contacts re-orientate down and the world goes strange.

    I always tell folk they should consider Lasik - two days after it's done you're wondering what all that fuss and bother about glasses and contacts was all about, then you remember, oh, yeah, because I couldn't see.

  12. #102
    I hunt, therefore I am.
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Tai Tokerau
    Posts
    4,528
    Quote Originally Posted by ishoot10s View Post
    Iím halfway through Intraoccular lens replacement. Had my left done last Wednesday and my right gets done tomorrow. At nearly 60, Iíve been wearing contacts for 35 years correcting astigmatism in both eyes and very shortsighted.
    Shit sorry, didn't read this. I'd always been told (probably by family and friends, not optometrists, now that I think about it) that contacts weren't suitable for my eyes... bloody hell.
    Quote Originally Posted by 308
    not smart enough to be useful
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

  13. #103
    I hunt, therefore I am.
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Tai Tokerau
    Posts
    4,528
    Quote Originally Posted by davetapson View Post
    When I investigated contacts for astigmatism they told me that they orient themselves by being heavier at the bottom. If you tilt your head sideways, the contacts re-orientate down and the world goes strange.

    I always tell folk they should consider Lasik - two days after it's done you're wondering what all that fuss and bother about glasses and contacts was all about, then you remember, oh, yeah, because I couldn't see.
    It's definitely on my list, just not my short list. If I won lotto then yeah, I'd probably book tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by 308
    not smart enough to be useful
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

  14. #104
    The Original Striker
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    waikato
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Orright. Did the regular eye exam, but now there's a special $150 one for getting measured for contact lenses... Clearly I'm in the wrong line of crime and should have trained as an optician!

    But apparently contacts are now available for astigmatism, so I'm a candidate. I'll still be getting new glasses for general stuff, and I hate the idea of an ongoing cost, and ongoing waste with contacts, but seems a handy option to have for when glasses are a pain in the ass.

    Anyone using contacts (since thread started in 2016)? Daily, Fortnightly, Monthly? I'd be thinking to get monthlys and just use them on occasion...anyone would think I was scottish, eh.
    depends on your script but I'm in the same boat and I'm looking at daily soft torics, use them and bin them, less care and less chance of eye infections from improper cleaning. they come in sealed packs use as you go
    glasses for most things, contacts for diving hunting etc

    Lasik is so far good just in removing the astigmatism let alone lens weight loss.

    Ill be planning for IOL's (refractive lens exchange) in 10-15 years time, hence lasik now to prep for that,
    then with RLE it will be 20/20 for driving and reading glasses for close in work
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

    The Original Striker

  15. #105
    Load....Action....Instant ....Watch and Shoot! ishoot10s's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    NW of the true capital...
    Posts
    1,674
    Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Shit sorry, didn't read this. I'd always been told (probably by family and friends, not optometrists, now that I think about it) that contacts weren't suitable for my eyes... bloody hell.
    Possibly there's a limit to the severity of astigmatism that can be corrected in some brands of lenses. Mine were B&L Soflens Toric. I used to order through Clearly Contacts (online) and paid $69 per pack of 6 for each side, usually a discount deal would bring it back to $120 delivered for both sides and with each set lasting about 6 months, so 4 to 5 weeks use from a pair. So on top of the annual lens costs of, say $240, there was also the cleaning fluid which was about $30 a bottle and that would last about a month so another $360 per year. All up around $600 a year in contacts, 35 years, $21,000.00. Less than someone might send on smokes, or beer. They've been great, but my eyes have been getting tired earlier in the evening and I've just put in a pool and want to swim every day so I've gone with the surgery.
    Cordite and mimms2 like this.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. advise on fishing glasses
    By sakkaranz in forum Fishing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 22-09-2013, 08:58 PM
  2. Glasses
    By faregame in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-09-2012, 06:22 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!