Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Who wears glasses?

The Original Striker
    Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Orright. Did the regular eye exam, but now there's a special $150 one for getting measured for contact lenses... Clearly I'm in the wrong line of crime and should have trained as an optician!

But apparently contacts are now available for astigmatism, so I'm a candidate. I'll still be getting new glasses for general stuff, and I hate the idea of an ongoing cost, and ongoing waste with contacts, but seems a handy option to have for when glasses are a pain in the ass.

Anyone using contacts (since thread started in 2016)? Daily, Fortnightly, Monthly? I'd be thinking to get monthlys and just use them on occasion...anyone would think I was scottish, eh.
    depends on your script but I'm in the same boat and I'm looking at daily soft torics, use them and bin them, less care and less chance of eye infections from improper cleaning. they come in sealed packs use as you go
    glasses for most things, contacts for diving hunting etc

Lasik is so far good just in removing the astigmatism let alone lens weight loss.

Ill be planning for IOL's (refractive lens exchange) in 10-15 years time, hence lasik now to prep for that,
    then with RLE it will be 20/20 for driving and reading glasses for close in work
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Shit sorry, didn't read this. I'd always been told (probably by family and friends, not optometrists, now that I think about it) that contacts weren't suitable for my eyes... bloody hell.
    Possibly there's a limit to the severity of astigmatism that can be corrected in some brands of lenses. Mine were B&L Soflens Toric. I used to order through Clearly Contacts (online) and paid $69 per pack of 6 for each side, usually a discount deal would bring it back to $120 delivered for both sides and with each set lasting about 6 months, so 4 to 5 weeks use from a pair. So on top of the annual lens costs of, say $240, there was also the cleaning fluid which was about $30 a bottle and that would last about a month so another $360 per year. All up around $600 a year in contacts, 35 years, $21,000.00. Less than someone might send on smokes, or beer. They've been great, but my eyes have been getting tired earlier in the evening and I've just put in a pool and want to swim every day so I've gone with the surgery.
    Cordite and mimms2 like this.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by ishoot10s View Post
    I've just put in a pool and want to swim every day so I've gone with the surgery.
    Yeah, at the time I used to dive a lot and played underwater hockey (octopush?) and got by with contacts for both, but it was so nice just to be able to forget all that and just be able to see.
    ishoot10s likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by davetapson View Post
    Yeah, at the time I used to dive a lot and played underwater hockey (octopush?).
    Good old underwater hockey..... played through high school amd in the local league, great spectator sport!

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    Something I noticed in between left and right surgery was that my left eye vision had become super bright, sort of blue/white compared to my right eye vision that had a sort of yellow hue. Kind of like comparing the light from an old style filament headlight with an LED one. I asked the surgeon about it and he said my lens tissue had hardened and yellowed slightly with age. Now I have both implants in and the brightness and clarity is amazing.
    striker likes this.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.