Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: AW,S NEWS

you seem to be missing the point what do you think your chance are of getting ducks if your within 5 miles of a place allowed to release ducks and control how thier shoot upto the point of waiting till they,ve drawn in a heap of your wild birds.have the gamebird rules been changed to include the commercial selling of large amounts of mallard young??

GSP follower ,whats stopping you from releasing ducks and feeding then to keep them in your area

Quote Originally Posted by gsp follower View Post
    you seem to be missing the point what do you think your chance are of getting ducks if your within 5 miles of a place allowed to release ducks and control how thier shoot upto the point of waiting till they,ve drawn in a heap of your wild birds.have the gamebird rules been changed to include the commercial selling of large amounts of mallard young??
    NZ Gamebirds sell mallards to the public

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth uplander View Post
    GSP follower ,whats stopping you from releasing ducks and feeding then to keep them in your area
    in aw they have a 30 day before the season ban now i believe??
    that plus possibly the live decoy rule and id want to shoot wild ducks.
    isnt it a copout to have to buy in your own ducks in large numbers rather than fix the problems that have been created??
    who other than the well off or those looking to a commercial advantage could do it??
    Happy likes this.

Any gamebird reared and released is a boost to the population. People need to get off their asses and do some predator control, riparian plantings etc. Put some effort into the sport and foster good relationships with property owners making it beneficial to both sides to have access to their land.

The copout is waiting for someone else to do everything for you.
    Pointer and Snuffit like this.

in aw they have a 30 day before the season ban now i believe??
    that plus possibly the live decoy rule and id want to shoot wild ducks.
    isnt it a copout to have to buy in your own ducks in large numbers rather than fix the problems that have been created??
    who other than the well off or those looking to a commercial advantage could do it??
    If i didnt live 4 hrs drive from my pond i would buy mallards to release and im not well off or looking at any commercial gains.
    Snuffit likes this.

isnt it a copout to have to buy in your own ducks in large numbers rather than fix the problems that have been created
    No cop-out that I can see. Everyone should do it rather than hanging around waiting for someone else to do it.

the harvest rate from released mallards can be in the high 90%, from a commercial angle they offer great returns, unlike pheasants.
    I would say a private release would in fact return well over the release numbers, I'm all for releasing ducks but if the motive is to put something back then the release site would have to be a non shooting area for that season in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by kawhia View Post
    the harvest rate from released mallards can be in the high 90%, from a commercial angle they offer great returns, unlike pheasants.
    I would say a private release would in fact return well over the release numbers, I'm all for releasing ducks but if the motive is to put something back then the release site would have to be a non shooting area for that season in my opinion.
    thats pretty radical kawhia

i dont believe theres a duck shortage here as evidenced by the numbers shot in parts of the csi region.what i believe is because ellys so degraded the bulk of the birds are elsewhere.low water levels where therses usually heaps around the margins cant be good for nesting or chick survival either. the lake is currently at .43 of a metre. areas like wolfs road who,s wet spots are usually full of hens and chicks are barren and dry.theres also shitloads in the river and on every dairy drain and slow flowing rdrs.